Official 2013 Big Soccer US Player Draft Picking Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Balerion, Jan 21, 2013.

1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I have to be honest. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT I SHOULD DO WITH THIS PICK. I look through the list of the first 3-4 rounds of last years draft, the ASN Top 100, the current training camp and I can make strong arguments for multiple players and then make the same arguments for why they should not be selected next. So I am going to throw all that out the window and do what I want and pick players that I want to watch play.

So with the next pick in the US Draft, I am going to go with my gut and pick the player that I like the best that its in the next group of players. There are much, much safer picks --- BUT I am going with a potential game changer in attack. So with the next pick of the US Draft, I am going to take;

MF - Brek Shea - FC Stocked to be in Dallas!

[​IMG]

Dude obviously gets a hair cut immediately. LOL.

This time last year Shea was a top 10 pick coming off an 11G/4 A season. Last year, he came back to Earth a bit and only put up 3 G and 2 A before getting hurt. However, this year i expect that once he recovers from his injury he will be an integral portion of the national team with Landon Donovan on mental holiday.

He's 6'3, he's fast, and most importantly he is very young at 22. I think he learns so much from the last season and goes on a tear this year in MLS (if he is here before the window closes) or if he transfers to Europe, he takes his game up a couple of notches to justify playing time.

2. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooops, Shea went to Neuwerld at pick #14. You are still on the clock, which runs out at 9:44am Eastern time this morning, just over 2 hours from now. I will message you, too.

3. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    LOL....that is funny. I can't believe I did that. In about 10 years of participating in the draft, I don't think I have ever done that. Goes to show you that I shouldn't be participating...lol.

Ok, well then that changes my plan a bit, but not much. With the next pick of the US Draft, I am going to take Chris Wondolowksi - F - San Jose Earthquakes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't have the slightest clue how the hell this guy is still on the board, but when you score 18, 16, and 27 goals in your last three years --- I guess you get overlooked?

Oh yeah, and in his 27 goal season, he also put together 7 assists.

He is still only 29 years old and I think he will still play a role with the USMNT this year. Sure, I get that he hasn't had knocked in goals with the national team, but I think he may make a case for additional playing time moving forward this Camp Cupcake. I mean if he is a nightmare for John Terry to try to mark, I feel very comfortable he can score against every single CB combination in this draft.

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson may be off the board, but I feel that I may have found a solution to stop forwards like him: Matt Besler.

[​IMG]

Besler was somebody I was hoping to fall to me at #24 and I feel fortunate that he's still available at the end of the second round. Besler was a key part of Sporting Kansas City's run to the top of the Eastern Conference standings in 2012. The reigning MLS Defender of the Year is a classy center back who will anchor my defense.

Besler is only the second player drafted with zero US caps to his name, but I expect that status to change shortly. At the NT level, we are experiencing a changing of the guard at CB and Besler is a player with a good chance to make serious inroads into the team in 2013.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think this is the part of the draft where things start to get difficult. I didn't dwell on my first two selections for very long and I found myself nodding along in agreement as most of the picks from #2-#23 were made.

At #25, I could see myself taking probably seven or eight different players. Unfortunately, I only have one choice remaining and I'm going to use it on Will Bruin.

[​IMG]

After a respectable rookie season in which he scored five goals, Bruin scored twelve in 2012 and added four more in the playoffs. Bruin isn't the flashiest player, but he does the small things well and he's starting to do the big things well, too. He's a big, strong player with a nose for the goal and good off-the-ball movement.

At age 23, he's already a quality player and still has room to improve in 2013.

6. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    With the next pick of the US Draft, I am again going to have some fun and select a player that I think had a breakout year last year. He single-handily helped DC United get into the postseason last year and when he was out/injured - DC's form dropped considerably. He is not a part of Camp Cupcake solely because he is still recovering from his injury issues.

So with the next pick of the US Draft, I am going to select - MF/F - Chris "Party boy" Pontius - DC United.

NSFW

Seriously, 12 G and 4 A is a very strong campaign and his was cut short by about 8 or so games.
    [​IMG]
    I also think his positional flexibility gives me options in later rounds. Left mid is a relatively thin position so he can play there really well and he can also play forward effectively as well.

I also really like the combination of Pontius, Wondo, and Bradley. They all very solid in the air, are great finishers, and have what I would consider to be well above average vision for US players.

MLSNHTOWN's team
    1. General Bradley
    2. Super Wondo
    3. Party Boy Pontius

Geneva and Sean... repped this.
  7. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 3d pick of the 3d Round, #27 overall, Deportivo Vejete select

Maurice Edu

[​IMG]

Mo is a stalwart player for the USA, with over 40 Caps lifetime and among the team leaders in Caps and starts in 2012 under Coach Klinsmann. With his loan to Buraspor he has escaped the twin hells of Rangers and Stoke City, already earning good reviews in his first two appearances.

We expect Mo to continue growing as a player this year as he enters his prime playing years, becoming a core, backbone player for Deportivo Vejete and a valuable member of the US Mens National Team.

8. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoring up the midfield with one of Jurgen's favorites:

Kyle Beckerman

Real Salt Lake

[​IMG]

One of MLS's best, and a fixture for the national team under the current coach. Gives my midfield the ultimate control and balance of creativity and flair, with possession and grit. Very happy to grab the All-star in the early third round.

Round 1: Jozy Altidore
    Round 2: Jose Francisco Torres
    Round 3: Kyle Beckerman

9. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    With its third pick and pick number #29 overall, The Darned United selects Fwd Juan (Valjean) Agudelo, currently imprisoned by Javert-gara and Chivas USA.

[​IMG]

10. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With its third pick and 30th overall Real Soccer FC selects winger Brad Davis of Houston Dynamo.

[​IMG]

Davis will provide the team with width and excellent service into the box. Davis, who clearly is a family man, is a standout player at Houston and is currently training with the USMNT for the upcoming friendly against Canada.

1: Geoff Cameron
    2: Steve Cherundolo
    3: Brad Davis

11. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my 3rd pick I will select Joe Corona

[​IMG]

This pick was a toss up between a few different players but Corona continues our theme of versatility. He can play lw, rw, lm, rm, or in a central attacking role. He has established himself as a consistent starter on one of the best teams in mexico. The strength of Coronas game is link up play and we feel he will fit in nicely with our team

My team:
    Jermaine Jones
    Sacha Kljestan
    Joe Corona

12. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my third pick in the draft, I select:

Dax McCarty

New York Red Bulls

[​IMG]

I'm happy to pick up one of the best midfielders this past season in MLS, and arguably the best d-mid, to go along with Holden and Zusi.

1. Graham Zusi
    2. Stuart Holden
    3. Dax McCarty

13. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 33rd pick I select...

[​IMG]

Captain America! Or as some like to call him Carlos Bocanegra. He may aging but he's still a damn good CB and great option considering there's not a ton to choose from in that position. He's a great leader and show's great composure on the back line. I'm thrilled to have and surprised to get him this late

14. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 34th pick came because I'm focusing on expanding the pool with younger players.

I present...

Luis Gil

[​IMG]

A creator, a young talented player, the 19 year old can play anywhere, whether it is Center Mid, Attacking Mid, or on the wing, he can create something out of nothing, recently scoring and assisting in the U-20's he has the tools to be one of United States most exciting midfielders. With 54 appearances, the kid could mount up to an incredible season in 2013. I believe he will be the one to look out for, and a senior call up could be on the cards real soon.

15. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the 11th pick of the 3rd round (35th overall) I select Kenny Cooper

[​IMG]

With 66 goals and 15 assists to his name, Cooper has been one of the most productive players in MLS in the past several years. Cooper finished the 2012 season second in the golden boot race with 18 goals and 3 assists, and continues to consistently be a top striker in MLS. Even in a lean 2011 season he managed 8 goals and 2 assists (.28 goals per 90 minutes)—average numbers for many strikers in MLS, but not Cooper, who has managed .62, .47, and .65 goals per 90 minutes in the 2008, 2009, and 2012 seasons respectively. Cooper has also managed 4 goals in 10 appearances with the national team. He just scores goals.

Cooper may not be in Klinsmann's plans at the moment, but as a player he adds a strong goalscoring threat to my team. Not a target forward despite his size, Cooper is a great finisher with good close control and strong shot. Still only 28, I expect Cooper will continue to be one of MLS's elite goalscorers for years to come.

16. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    I originally planned to take a striker with my 2nd pick, but decided to wait since I had a feeling this guy would fall.. I select

Aron Johannsonn
    [​IMG]

Aron is pacey, skilled striker with a great nose for goal. At 22 yrs old Aron is leading the Danish Superliga in goals, he has yet to pick a NT but both Iceland and US are after him. He would be in the January camp right now if not for an injury. He will likely be leaving for a bigger club soon and has interest from most of the big leagues, including lots from the Eredivisie. Imo pretty good value at this point

17. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    And with my 4th round pick I select

Nick DeLeon
    [​IMG]

DeLeon is a winger with great pace, good dribbling 1 on 1 skills, and good passing. As a rookie he played like a vet, with great composure, decision making with the ball and great movement off the ball. Nick is a versatile player that can play on the left or right wing, as an attacking mid or 2nd striker. He also does a good job tracking back and helping on D. This year Nick could build on his great rookie season and become a part of the NT picture

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neuwerld is scheduled for the next pick in the 4th Round. I have messaged him asking to hold off, leaving bmo180 on the clock, as a determination is made about the US eligibility of Aron Johannson, the final pick of the 3d Round.

19. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to everyone for a thoughtful discussion about player nationality/eligibility rules in the draft discussion thread.

In order to keep things moving, and with understanding that the rule was vague as written, bmo180's selection of Aron Johanssen will stand.

However, the rule is clarified for the remainder of the draft as follows:

3. Only US eligible players who have not yet declared for another country or who have not been capped in a senior or youth match by another country and lacking their completed one-time FIFA change of nationality. In other words, players eligible today to play for a US match today.

Neuwerld is on the clock for his 4th Round selection. I will message him.

20. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the 2nd pick of the 4th round (38th overall) I select DaMarcus Beasley

[​IMG]

Beasley may not be at the heights he once was, but there aren't too many players left with his quality and experience. With 97 caps, 3 World Cups, 3 Gold Cups, and 2 Confederation Cups under his belt, 17 goals, and 13 assists in his international career, Beasley is one of the highest capped, most experienced, and most productive players in national team history. Now an important contributor for Puebla in Mexico, 30 year old Beasley has added veteran guile and wisdom to the pacey unpredictability that defined his game in the past. He may not be scoring for PSV in the Champions League anymore, but in 2011-2012 Beasley managed 7 goals and 3 assists, showing that he still has what it takes to contribute. Finally free from constant injuries and settled in a more suitable league, I think Beasley can be a very valuable player at a thin position. I realize I already have Shea, but I've seen Beasley score some wonderful goals cutting in onto his left and I can't pass up the opportunity to grab such a quality, seasoned veteran.

The old man can still play a bit too. Just the other day:
    Assist at 20 seconds

21. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 3rd pick of the 4th round, I select....

Matt Hedges

[​IMG]
    He has the height and skill, alongside Brooks, who is yet another towering center back, I have a feeling they will be an unstoppable force against forwards.
    With 28 appearances and 3 goals, I have a feeling he will be useful during the Gold Cup and one day, maybe one of the best defenders to look out for.

22. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 40th pick of the draft I select...

[​IMG]

Michael Parkhurst

The just signed FC Ausborg Defender. He's a very skilled and veteran defender that I'm thrilled to bring in at a position we lack depth in.

1. Danny Williams
    2. Herculez Gomez
    3. Carlos Bocanegra
    4. Michael Parkhurst

23. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my fourth pick in the draft, I select:

CJ Sapong

Sporting Kansas City

[​IMG]

I had some trouble making my mind up about this one. There were a couple of other guys that I was considering but decided to go with Sapong. I think if he continues to improve and progress, he could have a breakout season and find himself on the Gold Cup roster. I look forward to watching him this year with SKC.

1. Graham Zusi
    2. Stuart Holden
    3. Dax McCarty
    4. CJ Sapong

24. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my 4th round selection I will select Clarence Goodson

[​IMG]

I was holding out hope that Parkhurst would fall to me but no luck. Its time for me to select defense and Goodson is a good place to start. He is a smart guy who has found a decent amount of playing time for the Nats. He gives me good size and a veteran presence along the back line

Edited to add:
    #1 - Jermaine Johnson
    #2- Sacha Kljestan
    #3- Joe Corona
    #4- Clarence Goodson

25. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our fourth pick, Real Soccer FC is pleased to pick Benny Feilhaber:

[​IMG]

An excellent midfielder who provides exceptional ball movement and service to our attack. He had a rough year in New England but with a new team that he seems excited to play for, we think he will do great things this year. He adds a different dynamic to Real Soccer FC's attack out of the midfield. He and Davis should be able to wreak havoc on many defenses.

soccersubjectively repped this.