Official 2013 Big Soccer US Player Draft Organizational Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Mr Martin, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't, and won't enforce any particular rule. If the majority want to keep the prior 12-hour rule, so be it. I'm just trying to get some discussion going, and there has been interest is speeding things up a bit.

Last year the draft took just over 4 weeks total using the 12-hour limit.

I figure that with a 6-hour limit, plus each team getting 9 wildcards for 12-hours, we could cut the draft time down by 1 week. The 9 wild card option basically means that half the draft is under the old 12-hour rule (and would take 2 weeks) and half the draft would fall under the 6-hour rule (and drop from 2 weeks to 1 week). Estimated total of 3 weeks instead of 4.

But I will still play under the prior rule, and just live with those times that the draft slows to a crawl. Mostly I am just looking forward to getting going. Hopefully I'll play smarter than last year, when I made a number of mistakes.

2. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the majority want 6 hours don't let me hold that back. I didn't think the draft moved that slow last year, but if others want ti faster than by all means make it faster. Just thinking back to last year I am thinking several of my picks would have been skipped with the 6 hour rule either because i would have had to pock overnight or during the workday(which sometimes is fine and there are other days that I don't have access to big soccer during the day). So as I said for me it would be rushed and tough, but if it works for everyone out I will bow out and just add to the draft as a commentator

3. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking that each team might be allowed one or even two 12 hour picks.
    Either that and or allow a moratorium on drafting from 11:00 pm est till 8:00am.

I am also, of the opinion that additional rules and exceptions might be a bad thing.
    Playing by the stated rules, always provides something.

I suspect most picks will be made quickly.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the 12 hour rule will be okay if people make an effort to be timely about things. If one team gets lax about checking the thread, it can really slow down the whole process.

5. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The 12-hour rule is perfectly fine if folks make the effort.

My proposal was a discussion point. I'm inclined to just keep the long-used 12-hour rule. I don't want to see anyone drop out. The whole point is to play, and see how folks evaluate the current US player pool. Which players are rising and which are falling. And, of course, who can cobble together an interesting lineup.

We can still use up to 4 more teams. Anyone remember if prior years drafts had fewer than 12 teams? If we only get 10 interested teams by next week, do we begin with that? If we have fewer teams, do we increase to 20 rounds?

6. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would keep 18 rounds as that gives each team a full roster. Teams will just be slightly stronger this year if we don't have as many teams.

7. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's ever been less than 12 teams, but I would be fine with only 10 teams. And I agree with MI-Soccerfan, I would keep it at 18 rounds.

8. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  9. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    There's been 12 teams for just about every year I can remember. I am in if we need an 11th or 12th.

10. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated interest so far:

1. Deportivo Vejete (Mr Martin/deuteronomy)
    2. Real Soccer FC (soccersubjectively)
    3. AutoPenalti
    4. Hararea
    5. bmo180
    6. Balerion
    7. Harper916
    8. MI-Soccerfan
    9. Neuwerld
    12. MLSNHTOWN (if needed)

This is NOT the draft order, just a list of folks interested so far. Draft order will be done through some random thingy later.

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, people!

We have so many posters willing to mouth off in the NT forums that I find it hard to believe we can't scrounge up 12 teams. :)

12. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously.

13. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I'm an if needed, too.

14. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've assumed you were in, as your only prior comment was that you would be OK stepping aside. MLSNHTOWN indicated he would rather be out, but was willing to play if needed, so I've listed him more tentatively, which is a little different than what I thought you had indicated.

At least two spots remain. Come on folks! I'll message some posters who played 2 years ago but skipped last year.

15. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can newbies join? I'd like to join.

16. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on your prior post from Friday last week, I already have you on the list of 10 tentative teams! Welcome aboard!

soccersubjectively and AutoPenalti repped this.
  17. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh what the hell: I'm in, probably for the last year (God bless being a student).

soccersubjectively and Mr Martin repped this.
  18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated interest so far:

3. AutoPenalti
    4. Hararea (...probable)
    5. bmo180
    6. Balerion
    7. Harper916
    8. MI-Soccerfan
    9. Neuwerld
    10. Sean...
    12. MLSNHTOWN (...if needed)

19. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more! One more!

20. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just went back to look at last year's organizing thread. It began January 7 and we got the 11th team on January 16, after 9 days. The 12th team was locked in on January 18, so it took 11 days to fill the draft team list. We are only now starting the 8th day, so we are right on schedule, I suppose. I'm sure we'll get the 12th team very soon and can begin drafting next week. After the 12th team is set, anyone else interested would have to partner with one of the 12 teams.

Last year, after locking in the 12 teams, MLSNHTOWN had some fun dragging out the draft order process over 2 days from Jan 19 to the 20th. Posted the teams one by one in reverse order after using some random number generating system. Anyone volunteering to repeat that process this year?

Finally, the draft clock started ticking at 8:00am EST on Monday, January 23, 2012, or 16 days after the organizing thread was started.

21. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll play

22. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah we need a legit commish.

Also, are we how much of the alternate reality/hypothetical future am I taking into account when I draft a youngster? Am I drafting a team for just one season or am I playing the dynasty mode?

23. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think it's just one season, since a new draft is done every year.

Mr Martin repped this.
  24. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated interest so far:

3. AutoPenalti
    4. Hararea (...probable)
    5. bmo180
    6. Balerion
    7. Harper916
    8. MI-Soccerfan
    9. Neuwerld
    10. Sean...
    11. Sebsasour
    12. MLSNHTOWN (...if needed)

Welcome Sebasour!

So, we have enough teams to fill out the 12-team draft league. Since MLSNHTOWN and to a lesser extent Hararea were waffling, should we give this another day and see if anyone else wants in? Or shall we begin setting up the draft order via some random number process?

If no one else volunteers to do the random draft order system, I will do it using the web site Random.org and run a count up like last year starting with the 12th spot in the first round.

We should be able to kick off the draft on the morning of either Monday January 21 or Tuesday January 22.

Comments?

25. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the event someone drops out, put me on the alternates list. Also, I'd be willing to team up with someone on the list already if a spot doesn't open up.