Official 2013 Big Soccer US Player Draft Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Balerion, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I am in favor of allowing the Johansson pick in order to keep things moving, but with an asterisk for future reference, and make it clear that it is allowed due to imprecision in the written rule, and that from now on the rule is:

Only US eligible players who have not yet declared for another country or who have not been capped in a senior or youth match by another country and lacking their completed one-time FIFA change of nationality. In other words, players eligible today to play for a US match today.

Then let's keep going. Neuwerld is being very patient, and I want to make my next two picks sometime this weekend! :D

2. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    No need to worry about me. You guys decide how you want to proceed. There is a good case to be made as various posters have done for sticking to existing standards.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You set this up this year. So I think you kind of have the final word as the draft commissioner

4. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIIW, after my first pick (Donovan), I made a list of potential strikers that I wanted to discuss with Deuts, and it included Johanssen. But I knew there was some issue involving his nationality, and I really didn't want to be bothered figuring out the rules -- since I already spend more time on this activity than some folks in my family think is wise -- so I crossed him off my list.

I guess I spent some time on it afterall. :ROFLMAO:

5. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like a bit more feedback on this suggestion to move on, but make the rule more precise for the remainder of the draft. But then I may use all the powers that no one has vested in me and make a ruling!

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am new here, have enjoyed the reasonableness of the discussion, believe that protocol has been followed, a new rule is in place and I am hoping to move forward.

Best wishes to all with their upcoming selections!

7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Unless bmo chooses to back his pick out, I support the people who want to let this one go in order to get the draft moving again.

And thanks for clarifying the written rule.

8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, it's nearly 11pm on the East coast, and I'm tired from a very fun, close, but ultimately losing indoor game.

In the spirit of the NJ Supreme Court, which ruled many years ago in Lance vs McGreevey, that certain future State borrowing to support the budget was unconstitutional, but that the current year's borrowing would be allowed to stand anyway...

Johanssen stands due to vagueness in the rule, but the rule is clarified for the remainder of the draft.

I will message Neuwerld that he is on the clock.

Play Ball!!!

9. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Sweet, but if everyone really wants me to repick I will, I mean I dont wanna be a cheater

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone knows you made your pick in good faith -- and you did your due diligence by consulting the referee. I wouldn't have any worries on that front.

I'm glad that we came to this resolution for two reasons:

1) Johannsson was chosen at a fairly appropriate point in the draft. If this were another late-round Josh Saunders situation, it would have been trickier.

2) A significant portion of my objection was that it would open the door to provisionally cap-tied players who clearly weren't interested in the US program, like Shawn Parker. So, I'm glad that we are shutting the door after Johannsson comes through.

Lastly, the Johannsson pick does bear some addition risk in the event that Aron chooses to commit to Iceland during 2013. Likewise, AutoPenalti should be somewhat worried about Brooks.... :)

Hopefully for the sake of the real life USMNT program, both of your teams retain all 18 players by December!

deuteronomy and Mr Martin repped this.
  11. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Soccer FC has reported that there are no ill-feelings towards bmo180 and wishes his team the best of luck except when they play Real Soccer FC.

bmo180 and Mr Martin repped this.
  12. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A nicely balanced, fair post.

I hadn't thought about the potential risk in Johansson pick, if he were to play a senior game with Iceland this year. Didn't something similar happen to a team last year after selecting Danny Potts, but then the kid played a youth game for England and was lost to his US Draft team?

13. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, DeLeon and Beasley are nice picks. Was wondering if they might slip down to our next set of picks.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so. The larger issue with Danny Potts wasn't even that he chose to play for England; we found out that he wasn't even eligible for US citizenship!

15. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    And when you say "we," I believe that it was someone on BigSoccer who pointed it out first.

Potts' dad is Steve Potts, a former West Ham player who was born in the US but has lived almost his entire life in the UK. Because US citizens need to reside in the US for five years if they want to pass citizenship along to their children, Danny didn't qualify through his dad. But apparently neither he nor the USSF knew this. Potts even played for our U20s against France.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-20-M...ion-to-France-to-Round-out-Training-Camp.aspx

soccersubjectively and deuteronomy repped this.
  16. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The slowness of some of these selections is inexorable.

Not sure if it raises the level of drama or merely taxes my patience, grin.

17. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I didn't miss any excitement while out running errands the last couple of hours!

Academìa C.F. (AutoPenalti) has been on the clock since 2:22am eastern time this morning, when Neuwerld selected Beasley. Only about 2 more hours until his 12 hour time limit, and then Sebasour can jump in.

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Third Round
    25. Balerion - Will Bruin
    26. MLSNHTOWN - Chris Pontius
    27. Deportivo Vejete(Mr Martin/deuteronomy) - Mo Edu
    28. Sean... - Kyle Beckerman
    29. Hararea - Juan Agudelo
    30. Real Soccer FC(soccersubjectively/joe cleats) - Brad Davis
    31. MI-Soccerfan - Joe Corona
    32. Harper916 - Dax McCarty
    33. Sebsasour - Carlos Bocanegra
    34. Academìa C.F.(AutoPenalti) - Luis Gil
    35. Neuwerld - Kenny Cooper
    36. bmo180 - Aron Johansson*

* The Johanssen selection was allowed, due to vagueness in the existing written draft rule regarding US eligibity. For the remainder of the 2013 Draft a more precise rule will be used that excludes players with a senior or youth cap for another nation and lacking the FIFA approved 1-time nationality change.

Agudelo dropped from the 1st round last year, while Edu and Beckerman dropped from the 2nd round.

Davis and Bocanegra were the only players to stay in the 3d round from last year.

Pontius rose from the 4th round, while Corona and Gil rose from the 5th round.

McCarty and Cooper rose from the 7th round, and Bruin climbed up from the 8th round.

Johansson was not drafted previously.

Deportivo Vejete was targeting one of Bruin, Pontius, and Edu, and was considering McCarty and Corona (and DeLeon taken in the 4th round). We are pleased to get Edu, figuring he will be a backbone performer for us.

Harper916 repped this.
  19. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated Draft Board

First Round

1. Balerion - Clint Dempsey
    2. MLSNHTOWN - Michael Bradley
    3. Deportivo Vejete(Mr Martin/deuteronomy) - Landon Donovan
    4. Sean... - Jozy Altidore
    5. Hararea - Fabian Johnson
    6. Real Soccer FC(soccersubjectively/joe cleats) - Geoff Cameron
    7. MI-Soccerfan - Jermaine Jones
    8. Harper916 - Graham Zusi
    9. Sebsasour - Daniel Williams
    10. Academìa C.F.(AutoPenalti) - Mikkel Diskerud
    11. Neuwerld - Timothy Chandler
    12. bmo180 - Omar Gonzalez

Second Round

13. bmo180 - Josh Gatt
    14. Neuwerld - Brek Shea
    15. Academìa C.F.(AutoPenalti) - John Anthony Brooks
    16. Sebsasour - Herculez Gomez
    17. Harper916 - Stuart Holden
    18. MI-Soccerfan - Sacha Kljestan
    19. Real Soccer FC(soccersubjectively/joe cleats) - Steve Cherundolo
    20. Hararea - Terrence Boyd
    21. Sean... - Jose Francisco Torres
    22. Deportivo Vejete(Mr Martin/deuteronomy) - Eddie Johnson
    23. MLSNHTOWN - Chris Wondolowski
    24. Balerion - Matt Besler

Third Round

25. Balerion - Will Bruin
    26. MLSNHTOWN - Chris Pontius
    27. Deportivo Vejete(Mr Martin/deuteronomy) - Mo Edu
    28. Sean... - Kyle Beckerman
    29. Hararea - Juan Agudelo
    30. Real Soccer FC(soccersubjectively/joe cleats) - Brad Davis
    31. MI-Soccerfan - Joe Corona
    32. Harper916 - Dax McCarty
    33. Sebsasour - Carlos Bocanegra
    34. Academìa C.F.(AutoPenalti) - Luis Gil
    35. Neuwerld - Kenny Cooper
    36. bmo180 - Aron Johansson

Fourth Round

37. bmo180 - Nick Deleon
    38. Neuwerld - DaMarcus Beasley
    39. Academìa C.F.(AutoPenalti) - Matt Hedges
    40. Sebsasour -
    41. Harper916 -
    42. MI-Soccerfan -
    43. Real Soccer FC(soccersubjectively/joe cleats) -
    44. Hararea -
    45. Sean... -
    46. Deportivo Vejete(Mr Martin/deuteronomy) -
    47. MLSNHTOWN -
    48. Balerion -

20. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Really surprised this one guy is still left, but yeah targets I was considering my last 2 picks were Johannsonn, DeLeon, Davis, Corona, Bruin and the guy who hasnt been picked yet..I liked Pontius too but I knew there was no way he would fall

21. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    And there he goes lol, nice pick

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst and Sapong are good value picks at this juncture.

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I feel just a little bit wary about Parkhurst's new situation at Augsburg, but the little I've seen of him at outside back, I've been surprised at how good he's been. He was easily my #1 RB still on the board, and I imagine everyone else's.

Sapong was my #1 forward, too, but I really don't have a good sense for him.

And I'm the one who took him both years. In general, I think it's more fun to pick a different set of players each year, but I didn't feel like I could pass on him in round 3. Even though I liked several of the other forwards on the board, including Sapong and Cooper, I hadn't watched them as much, and didn't have as much confidence in them.

But boy, does Agudelo need to find a good club situation. He has spent his first few years in a Red Bulls circus and a Chivas USA circus. Not a good advertisement for MLS development.

24. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deuts and I have been looking at Sapong, but it just seemed difficult to believe that he would drop to our next pick. Nice choice.

Parkhurst is a nice player and talk about consistency in how fans view him: 40th this year, 41st last year, and 43d the year before!

Hedges is a promising young CB who I was hoping would slip another round or two.

25. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh.