Official 2013-2014: Roster Moves and Rumors

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Nov 10, 2013.

1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    We also loved Albright, Gomez, Hartman and a few other fan favorites, those faded relatively quickly. For the most part I think you’re right, but there are definitely some on these boards who have outright stated they don’t like him because he’s gay. I’d at least like to see him fit and contributing on the field to earn the kind of rancor he has.

TrickHog repped this.
  2. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I haven't seen that and I read everything. I've seen people say they think he was traded for, in part, because he was gay, and that they he's being kept around because he's gay, but not that they don't like him because he is gay. I remember a couple of off-color jokes that I thought were inappropriate.

3. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Yep, there’s one person on my ignore list specifically because of that.

4. Irish.Long10

Irish.Long10 Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Rogers is getting loaned to Galaxy II so hopefully he is getting fit and ready to make some kind of impact this year.

StillKickin repped this.
  5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we find out Sunday night. I will be there looking for him.

pastor repped this.
  6. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Regardless of how anyone feels about the guy and especially now that we know how much he makes-- it's beyond important that he gets it together and shows well for G2 and then the 1st team. It's big news if he plays Sunday. A big part of MLS is making sure that you're taking advantage of and using wisely your salary cap. Besides LD getting 135, Rogers returning would be the biggest news of April for us.

7. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I haven't seen anyone on this board, or even less politically correct boards, criticize Rogers for being gay. Give us the name so the rest of us can ignore him as well. I've heard a lot of people criticize him because he sucks at soccer , and others criticize him because he cost us Magee, but never heard him criticized for being the most awesome gay soccer player ever.

8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I don't think the irony in this statement was intentional:unsure:

10. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No irony intended. I haven't seen anyone on this board disparage Rogers over being gay. If you have show me where.

11. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Its good thing Rogers is getting fit again. Stress fractures are not easy. I was at a practice this week and the lad looked pretty sharp considering he has been out for 8 weeks. Hopefully he can stay healthy because its going to be of help for the team to have a two footed pacey baller.

Geneva repped this.
  12. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I have not seen that on the Galaxy boards but there have been a few on other team boards etc. Galaxy facebook on the other hand has had some pretty nasty comments. I think the consensus here on BS is that we all hope he finds his form. It will be a big plus.

Dawdler repped this.
  13. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    A) The posts were quickly deleted by moderators
    B) Even if they existed or other examples did I'm not interested in a "name & shame"

TrickHog repped this.
  14. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #1864 Grok, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Thank you. Was not aware those posts existed. Hope the mods banned them.

TrickHog repped this.
  15. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1865 Topper, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Is it okay not to like Rogers because he's not contributing to the team in any meaningful way, costs too much money, makes demands (to play only in LA), and is injury prone?

I want him to do well, but so far he just sucks.

Objectively, he's done NOTHING to justify first team action. Yet he managed to play a part in us getting bounced out of the playoffs. Our little playoff turbo booster, Magee, was off the team. I liked our playoff chances much better with Magee, left foot or no left foot. And don't give me that shit that "Magee wanted to go Chicago". My 4-year old daughter wanted lollipops for breakfast this morning but I had to tell her to man up and drink her coffee and that she's never ever going to play for the Fire. Or something like that. Anyway......

Worst trade ever. Sorry, but even Bruce f___s up sometimes.

16. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Did it occur to you that BA may have traded Magee early because of potential salary cap issues? This has happened in the past, with Donovan Ricketts and most recently Franklin. It will probably continue to happen as long as the cap is setup the way it is and the Galaxy have DP's that eat up cap space.

As for why Magee when he did, possibly the stories are true and Magee wanted to go home because he saw it as a way to both reunite with the family and get past the Galaxy's salary limitations. Perhaps it was a way to make room for the DP signing that eventually went to OG.

Berks repped this.
  17. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't the reasons put forth by BA or the FO.

Again, all Bruce had to say was "not yet Mike, we have a championship to win," but he didn't, and we folded like a pup tent to RSL. No one needs to be reminded that Magee went on to win MVP and carried the Fire on his shoulders.

Now we're stuck with an unproductive player, a significant salary hit, and a giant helping of "hope". "Hope" hasn't done much for Freddy Adu holdouts and won't do shit for Robbie Rogers.

But hey, the goodwill this all brought really makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Worst trade ever.

18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd also like to point out that until we started negotiating for Rogers, Magee was not thinking of moving. He said so himself.

I don't buy that the potential coverage and positive PR from the watershed moment (and I'm happy to have been part of it by being there when he debuted) wasn't a factor. We're talking about a player who hadn't been consistently healthy and in form for quite a while. Yet the Galaxy and MLS were haggling desperately to get him into the league.

That amount of effort for this player based on football reasons alone, simply didn't make sense.

Topper and The Cadaver repped this.
  19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my feeling as well. I think it was a little naive for the Galaxy to talk a player out of retirement. Someone overestimated the PR the signing would bring or underestimated how injury prone RR is (or both--it would have been a much better story if RR had managed to make himself a key player and the Galaxy made it to the final).

Topper repped this.
  20. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rehashing all this "Why the trade" stuff just opens old wounds. I miss Magee, but then I miss Kevin, Cien, Robin, Paul C, Cobi and a host of other LAG heroes. IF Robbie makes a positive contribution, that would be great. But I strongly agree that all we have to go on is hope that he can return to the form he showed glimpses of in the past. If he had been a consistently strong player in the past, I would be more optimistic.

Topper repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I sooooo don't want to have this whole discussion again but .... Did the Galaxy push Rogers to un-retire? I wasn't aware of that. I read that he decided to un-retire after giving talks to LBGT kids and they were urging him to get back to playing. I know MLS facilitated him coming back and he said he only wanted to play in LA but that's the extent of what I read at the time. At this point its all water under the bridge but just curious.

MPNumber9 and dashiel repped this.
  22. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I've no idea. It's really speculation on my part based on what little we have heard.

23. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Mike left LA for a payday period. The family stuff played well in the media and I’m sure it’s a big bonus for Mike, but he saw the opportunity to get his last big contract. You look at various comments in the media from LA players and Mike towards the end of last season and it’s patently obvious. Magee earned a big pay day which the Galaxy couldn’t afford under league rules so they did the only thing they could and allowed him to leave. He took the chance and was rewarded more than doubling the contract he signed just a year ago ($417 up from $192). If LA could have put that type of money on the table he’d still be in LA.

Short term it suck(s/ed) for the Galaxy, but as an organization they’ve been very player friendly something that isn’t true of many teams in the league and it’s true of none of the big teams. Seattle, Toronto and New Jersey have all been incredibly mercenary with their rosters and while MLS is definitively a “win now” league right now, I don’t think that will always be true.

tehphil, UcIceD2011, Baysider and 4 others repped this.
  24. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And has been pointed out---he JUST signed a new contract, meaning it was a contract both he and the Galaxy were comfortable with.

I agree with Cadaver, time to move on. This just makes me angry and the justifications for the trade are so paper thin and convoluted that I just want to tear my hair out. He was under contract, he was a Galaxy player. The decision to trade was dumb when it was made (a few of of screamed pretty loudly about it) and it's even dumber now.

All we can do is hope that Rogers comes through and contributes to the team. That's all we have left at this point. Just root for health and effectiveness.

Baysider and The Cadaver repped this.
  25. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did actually have an idea, though, that might make me feel better about the trade. I saw a dead skunk by the side of the road this morning, and I was thinking of going back and getting it, shaving the butt part, writing "Rogers/Magee Trade" on the skin with a sharpie, and mailing it to the FO. Just so, you know, they really know what I think of the trade. It might not do anything, but it'd really make me feel better.

Topper and TrickHog repped this.