Official 2013-2014: Roster Moves and Rumors

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
  2. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is very well reasoned. All I have to add is that even internationally, in La Liga or the BPL or Serie A....attacking talent gets paid more. The dropoff from good to bad just seems more dramatic than in defenders, and that's how it is all over the world. That's not to say that defenders don't get paid, or aren't bought by transfer fee, and aren't valuable....but it should definitely make you think twice in a capped league.

3. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berks repped this.
  4. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @LAGalaxyInsider: My thoughts on the @LAGalaxy signings of Todd Dunivant and Baggio Husidic - http://t.co/hdddEbBo2h #LAGalaxy

5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Zardes’ issue has less to do with his finishing explicitly and more to do with his inability to create clear-cut chances for himself in the system we play (of course, it could be both). He was prolific against Chivas because he was able to get in behind their shabby defense and strike (either with a pass or shot) while they were still disorganized and scrambling. Against an organized, bunkered defense, he doesn’t move and combine well enough to create a good goal-scoring chance for himself, unlike Donovan and Keane. I wonder if he’d do better at a team like Portland or Colorado (not that I’m suggesting we trade him).

Of course, as everyone recognizes, picking up an attacking player that can facilitate the sophisticated style of football we play is the next challenge. Not having a DP spot makes it potentially more challenging, but as much as I'd like to have Kaka' here, I think it's possible to fill that need without splurging on a world class playmaker. Looking to the Latin American leagues as others have suggested is a good start. Someone mentioned Jose Torres in another thread and I think he's exactly the type of player we could use.

6. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Front Office isn't even gonna tickle our asses with a feather huh?

Just gonna tie up all the "losing" loose ends on a playoff crashing team for 2014.

not gonna even play some media reindeer games and throw out speculation of

some super-star looking to come to MLS and play for the Galaxy?

not gonna help swirl large unsubstantiated trade rumors around the league

putting out the Galaxy name over those teams still left in the playoffs even for

league and world interest?

Just gonna cave into a couple of over 30 year olds demands for contract extentions, and

new deals for guys whose production will almost certainly never get better than right now.

Hey why do the racist ass-wipes of the Galaxy not give Sean Franklin what he deserves....

a 3 year 1.2 million dollar deal to a guy with a 15% crossing accuracy. The F.O. seems to be

nostalgic for that losing feeling, must love that "like everyone" else feeling. It seems were methodically

getting the band together for what should be another run at mediocrity.

Hell 7 years ago in January we signed arguably the biggest name in the game, and now half you lot are practically

wetting yourselves because they gave a fat, slow Irishmen a 2 year contract extension to fart around the field and

possibly berate the same group of numbskulls he couldn't stand this year..... NEXT YEAR too.

Where is the mystique? Where is the heir of importance? Where is our f*cking well deserved right of self

righteousness and self-aggrandizing?

Are Bruce Arena & Chris Klein really the Front office management of this organization or is it some Financial VP of

AEG playing Ebenezer Scrooge with our money.

My question is : When the hell did this team's philosophy of spend big, be big, shoot for the f*cking stars, to how

much, how ridiculous, how pompous, how idiotic it could get just keeping going up. to now, We've won enough,

stay the course, don't make waves, let others catch up, middle of the pack, do nothing spectacular ever again?

Is the Answer Tim Lieweke? Did we only think big because he was here. and now that he is completely gone, is this

team going to replace his thinking and direction or this is it? low expectation having generation. I can see only a

year out most of you sheep fallen right back into line. Happy with the status quo. Happy being the 3rd most talked

about team this year behind NY Red Bulls & The Seattle Sounders? What happens in a year when the "real" New

York team comes in, and what happens a couple of season when beckham brings his team to the league

Are we still supposed to play second fiddle to those teams... Be the second destination when those teams don't want

a player... and there starting to grab our spotlight!! What's your contingency plan? Donovan. or as some of cutely

have quipped Keanovan? That's your answer to the future huh? Your answer to filling the stadium? Your answer

to big TV ratings? Big media interest? and of course filling the trophy cabinet?

This 2013 LA Galaxy comes back in 2014 and ain't gonna win sh*t

You know it, I know it, everyone in the Front Office knows it. So why is it happening.

GalaxyOne and Dr.Phil repped this.
  7. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a profound waste of bandwidth.

barroldinho and The Cadaver repped this.
  8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Actually I think the whole attacking thing and clamoring for more strikers/offense is way over blown. And the concept that very solid, above average MLS defenders are easy to come by is almost absurd. Its like Lake Wobegone where all children are above average.

Yes a team can get lucky and acquire an above average defender in the draft (if they stink enough in the prior year and have a good scouting/coaching staff). But noone gives those early draft picks away for free, or trades these good defenders for pennies on the dollar in terms of value (unless your name is Alexi Lalas).

Nor are stalwart central defenders cheap and Omar is hardly the only DP. Looking at the May MlS salaries, I noted the following: DeMerit in Vancouver and Marshall in Columbus are both DP at $375k and $361K; Pierce and Olave in NY make $340K and $325K (effectively both at DP cap levels); John in Dallas is at $301K; Wynne in Colorado is at $285 (more than Omar pre his DP signing); Hurtado and Beesler are the outliers at the top rung at $190K and $180K. I don't think they will stay that way long. Yes there are a few good cheap defenders, like Bernardez in SJ at 100K and Schuler in RSL at $117K, but they are the exception to the rule.

IMO, its pretty clear that just scoring goals doesn't win the MLS cup, just ask teams like the 2012 Earthquakes or the Red Bulls (any year). Hell the Galaxy led the league in scoring in 2008 and didn't make the playoffs.

MPNumber9, edcrocker and Geneva repped this.
  9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're dismissing the way LAG sees itself in regards to the rest of the league? LAG to me wants to be the best, a perennial champion, setting an example for the league, the first major MLS club with global recognition, big name players, etc., and I'd say they've done a damn good job of doing just that. Up until this year however.

You're a big market team with big aspirations. You're built on the star DP model. That's how you've been marketed. That's been the approach. That's a big part of where you got your tv deal from and that deal was largely based on continuing to bring in big name players, hence the Kaka, Dos Santos and Lampard rumors.

Respectfully, I find it insincere that what you would consider smaller clubs with half the resources, clubs like Van, FCD, Colo(cheap ass owner) and Columbus as somehow the model you want LAG to follow and their decisions as smaller clubs in smaller markets with cheaper ownership somehow validates a CB taking on a very valuable DP slot. A DP slot in LA does not equate to a DP slot in Columbus or RSL. Not with the way LAG views and markets itself. I'd go even further and say it's insincere to act as if Kaka, Lampard and Dos Santos weren't the route LAG actually wanted to go with that 3rd DP slot. Omar wasn't first choice. Given all the rumors about big name DP's LAG was going after he seems more like last resort after striking out in two consecutive windows with the preferred targets, and the timing of the deal backs that up. I think making Omar a DP was more of making sure LAG at least don't get worse.

I don't think for a second management preferred going this route if they had the choice. What RSL or FCD does doesn't enter into this. It isn't LAG's blueprint. Chain of events backs that up.

And NYRB has no idea how to build a roster and has been quite a disappointment for that market. Not sure why you'd use them as validation.

This is all just my opinion though. I'm not trying to argue. I follow you guys pretty closely and one reason is I think LAG is more a trend setter for MLS, out in front, challenging the status quo. I think it's great for the league. I love the ambition. But I also think currently you're quite hamstrung by that decision and yes, it's not that tough to come by above average MLS CB's. In comparison to other MLS positions that's one of the league's strengths in terms of positional development. Many more quality CB's we develop compared to attacking mids, fullbacks, wingers or strikers.

10. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    Right, and probably over 50% of Zades' minutes have been wide left, not as a striker. Look I think it's too early to write anybody in our out long term. All I'm saying is that Bruce (I feel) pretty clearly laid this out (due to Donovan absence, Keane WC quali, number of games, etc) as a year where Jose and/or Jack could step forward and they didn't. If there's anything Bruce loves, it's 2 big center backs, and a #9 paired with a goal scorer. Hence the Galaxy careers of Leonardo, Junior David Lopes, Adam Cristman, etc. I think there's nothing he'd love more than to start McBean/Keane with Landon out wide, but McBean hasn't put the ball in the back of the net.

11. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlikely until MLS knows what kind of new national TV contract it can get in the 2015 negotiations. I would bet that in 2014 there will be 3 maximum DP's per team. That should increase prior to the start of the 2015 season.

12. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    You gotta love a place where a guy who is a year removed from MLS defender of the year and a likely starting CB for the US at the World Cup is considered an "easily replaceable above average MLS CB."

13. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California

14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Jond: I never said I wanted to follow the other teams. I want the Galaxy to win and I think having a dominant defense is a key to winning soccer.

15. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    For Omar, I think the question is value added. Say that we have enough cap space for two max salary players, one of which is a DP. Would you rather have Omar and a $350k AMid, or Lampard and a $350k defender?

16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure why people are so down on McBean?

Guilt by association to Zardes and Villareal flaming out?

Prior to his injury, he was showing a lot of intelligence as a target hold-up player. In fact, he was doing that to excellent effect in the very game he got injured.

He's not regained that form since returning but let's be fair: it was a long layoff and expecting him to be sufficiently match fit to contribute at the same level is highly unreasonable.

I'm not buying that he's a big kid who previously got by on size alone. For an 18 year old, he's showing a good deal of football IQ. Many forwards aren't making intelligent decisions until well into their twenties.

StillKickin, GalaxyKoa, Beirut and 4 others repped this.
  17. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. I was pleasantly surprised by how well McBean was playing before his injury. There was a reason he was starting ahead of Villarreal.

18. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think whether you think we should be focusing on attacking talent or not depends on your belief of why we flamed out. If you think it was simply our strikers misfiring in 2 playoff games, then you could see the cries for an attacking #10 as reactionary. If you believe that our midfield struggled to create chances and support the strikers all year, then you see a new #10 as the key to getting the attack together for next year.

Personally, strikers have on games and off games. If you want to win tournaments, you have to be able to adjust to a bad game. We didn't have that ability, and our midfield got completely overrun in Salt Lake. That's why we never felt like we could actually win that game. So to me, since we don't have a DP spot open, we need to be clearing cap space in the 200-300K range and be scouring the market for someone who can link up better and unlock packed defenses that focus on Keane and Donovan. Not sure if we can find that player at that price, but I think we sure as heck have to try.

19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're limited by the fact that, crazy at it sounds, we can only sign people that want to play for us. Thinking you're Man U isn't the same as being Man U.

Padding the team with over-the-hill stars from overseas isn't a sustainable, long-term growth plan. Just because making Omar a DP wasn’t the first option doesn’t mean it wasn’t the best option at the time. It seems clear to me the strategy going forward will have to involve some hybrid of bringing in world class talent and producing homegrown/local stars.

73Bruin repped this.
  20. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with all of this except about Omar. You are absolutely right it is going to take a blend of talent, and the home grown rules make the academies REALLY important. We can all debate the right signings, but yeah: core of home grown talent and free agents salted in where needed.

As I've said, I'm not a fan of Bruce's work last year. However, that isn't the same thing as saying it is an easy job. It's not: it's really tough. I hope he'll do better this next year.

21. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Could we use some of the new MLS Non-Specific Fund to get EJ out of Seattle?

22. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I guess I fit into the first group as I don't think the attack is the problem. Giving up late goals (regardless of the keeper) was a major problem. Midfielders not tracking back on defense was a major problem (read Juninho and Jimenez). Their inablity to maintain possession in the midfield especially when subject to high pressure was often a problem especially while on the road. IMO, where the Galaxy miss Beckham (and where I didn't appreciate him enough) was in his ability to handle the high pressure and the often hospital passes from teammates. Also that his pairing with Juninho made Juninho focus on defense.

23. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this this this... would love ME-J in LA...
    I would be willing to part ways with AJDLG/stephens in a trade for EJ if need be.
    -----------------------Keane---EJ---------------------
    -Zardes/RR-------sarvas-----------Juni------------LD
    -Duni/cochrane------opare----omar----------franklin
    ------------------------penedo---------------

Sorry but that is a league best starting 11 right there. I'd be willing to keep franklin to... losing carlo and Pablo would help fund EJ...we can pay him .01 less than DP money... plus he can have Jurgen's eyes on him leading up to WC and can also get off that damn turf.

25. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Johnson would be great until he scored 3 more goals than Robbie or Landon and started whining about his salary. For someone who had the gaul to say he didn’t play video games because he was a “grown ass man” he sure behaves like a petulant child. There’s been a distinct lack of drama in LA since Bruce sat David & Landon down for a clear the air meeting, the closest thing being Sarvas and Beckham getting in to it at half time, but that was clearly an isolated incident. If the FO were to risk the locker room chemistry on a head case I’d want someone significantly more talented than Eddie Johnson.

StillKickin, Geneva, Berks and 1 other person repped this.