Official 2012 US Draft Picks Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Harper916, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Hunter Freeman, Colorado Rapids

[​IMG]

Freeman can play both left and right back, and is an offensive threat.

2. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freeman was already taken at the end of round 11 by Neuwerld. ALTGunner is on the clock, while Chris E can jump in anytime with a replacement selection.

I sent a BigSoccer email to Chris E, but cannot send him a PM, as his inbox is full.

3. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Sorry guys, I messed this one up.

Quincy Amarikwa, Colorado Rapids

[​IMG]

Amarikwa is a versatile attacker who was 3rd in the reserve league in scoring, and I think is likely to break through as a real contributor this year.

4. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe we are now free to pick.

Fc Coulibaly will stick with the young guys with loads of potential and select

[​IMG]

Jann George

George gives us another great attacking option.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC/IA Connection select from the Montreal Impact, Tyson Wahl.

Wahl gives us some defensive depth that can play both in the middle and on the left.

[​IMG]

6. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I select:

Zak Boggs

[​IMG]

He's been on a pretty bad New England team the past two seasons, but I'm hoping he can play a big part in their rebuilding under Jay Heaps. A versatile front man who can play across my frontline, he's shown intelligence and good runs off the ball. I'm hoping his production goes up in his third season and proves to be a good pick for my bench.

7. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in the draft, I select:

Troy Perkins

On my phone so no picture.

8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Covering the pic for you.
    [​IMG]

In the group hokey-pokey session above, Perkins puts "whole self in." :)

9. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in draft, I select:

Will Hesmer

When people started picking their back up keepers last round, I started getting worried that I wouldn't get the quality keeper that I was wanting. Needless to say, I'm very happy to end up with both Perkins and Hesmer. Both have shown that they are above average MLS keepers.

10. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following the thinking of Harper, I select:

Brian Perk

[​IMG]

He's the top American keeper on the top American team. He'll sit the bench behind Saunders, but I don't think Arena will be shy to use him especially after his heroics on July 4th last year. I don't think he'll pry away the starting role from Saunders this year but he will continue the tradition of outstanding backup keeper on Arena teams.

11. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC-IA Connection - PICK 17 - Matt Reis

[​IMG]

In keeping with the Keeper rush,

KC-IA Connection picks former MLS Keeper of the Year and US MNT Keeper (2 caps) - Matt Reis

12. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny O'Rourke
    Patrick Ianni

13. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
  14. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    [​IMG]

Luis Robles, Karlsruher SC

15. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Sorry about the delay guys...I've got multiple projects running and plum forget when I'm not visiting bigsoccer otherwise.

Anyways, I'll take Diego Restrepo and John Anthony Brooks. Apologies again.

16. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap, was going to take Robles, anyway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18 goals and 6 assists for UCLA last season. GA player selected by the Union in the first round of the Superdraft. Not that I'm one to big up the potential of my own players, but I'm not convinced that a few of the Union's other young forwards would have posted those numbers at UCLA last season. With Le Toux gone, and other Union attackers gone for Olympic stuff, I think Hoffman has a decent shot a good playing time. I'm hoping he can be this year's Sapong.

There were other options at forward but they're either broken down, playing in obscurity, too young and wont be getting any minutes. So I'm happy enough to get Hoffman and he was a player that pre-draft I'd hoped to nab in the final round or two.

17. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Our 17th pick is DC United's:

Ethan White

[​IMG]

We felt we needed a bit more depth at the back and, of those players remaning, White was the one offering the most upside for this year. He got a lot of playing time in his rookie season and it should stand him in good stead going into 2012.

18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    It's as if you knew I'd be picking Conor Doyle. :D

[​IMG]

Doyle offers good size, good touch, and a nose for goal. He scored the equalizer for our U20s against Guatemala, unfortunately it wasn't enough.

19. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    We select Ethan Finley

20. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the last pick of the seventeenth round I select

Colin Rolfe

[​IMG]

Hopefully he can add a little energy/pace off the bench.

21. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the first pick of the final (18th) round I select

Marc Burch

[​IMG]

MLS veteran. Good left foot. Can play in midfield or defense.

22. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our final pick in the 2012 US Player Draft, the #206 choice overall, Mr Martin and Giffenbone select...

Mike Grella

Grella is a free agent at the moment, but like with Eddie Johnson, we figure he will land on his feet. He's only 25 and has some valuable Euro pixie dust experience on his side. Just 12 months ago he was a 7th round pick in this draft, and he is one of the highest remaining strikers from last year still on the board. Could be a useful backup striker for us.

[​IMG]

Also, just adding some color to Giffenbone's post of our Round 17 selection from last night...

Finlay was the 10th pick in last month's MLS SuperDraft. The high-scoring forward from Creighton was a finalist for the Hermann Trophy in 2011, just like Billy Schuler, our 13th round pick, and had a standout performance at the draft combine. The Crew are looking at him both as a forward and a right midfielder / winger. Here is what the Crew think about him:

“I think more than anything about Finlay, he's not only very opportunistic, but he's very intelligent,” Crew coach Robert Warzycha said about his new forward. “You saw it in the Combine. The way he's moving off the ball, the way his timing is and the way he finished with not just his stronger foot. It was great. He's a very smart player. You talk to him, he's very smart. He transfers that on the field. When you're watching him play, it seems like he's ahead thinking-wise. He's one step ahead.”

[​IMG]

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Bayer Leverkusen understudy David Yelldell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Judging by the looks on his face, a little Ex Lax might make his game even better.

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our final selection, KyleP and I will take Cody Cropper.

[​IMG]

He has all the mental and physical tools that you'd want in a goalkeeper and he's going to be the #1 for the US U-20 team. Despite his youth, he has progressed extremely well and we are confident that he is close to first team minutes at Ipswich.

With Hamid and Cropper in the fold, we may just have the two highest-ceilinged GK prospects in the US pool.

25. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Cannon

Vancoever Whitecaps FC

[​IMG]

A solid back-up to young Sean Johnson. Cannon is #1 for the Whitecaps. At 36 going on 37 years-old, I feel this could be his last season as the undisputed #1 but we'll see. I'm very happy to have him as a reserve.

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Danny Cruz, CJ Sapong, Michael Farfan, Jermaine Jones, Maurice Edu, Logan Pause, Zach Loyd, Jay Demerit, Michael Parkhurst, AJ Delagarza, Sean Johnson[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

Bench: Joe Cannon, Bobby Burling, Ramiro Corrales, Jared Jeffrey, Wells Thopmson, Sammy Ochoa, Chandler Hoffman