Official 2012 US Draft Picks Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Harper916, Jan 22, 2012.

1. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its been 12 hours, so I am assuming we are free to make our pick

FC Coulibaly will select

[​IMG]

Tony Taylor

Taylor is another super sub off the bench for us. He can play as a creative midfielder, forward, or winger. The goal with our bench is versatility, to be able to mix and match lineups based on how things are going

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our pick, the KC/IA Connection select Cam Weaver.

[​IMG]

Weaver gives us a forward presence off the bench and some size up front as well.

3. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first player on my bench will be:

Lee Nguyen

We will finally see him in MLS this season after stints in Holland, Denmark, and Vietnam. His versatility in attack helps my team on the field, and his pop star status in Vietnam helps me sell jerseys.

4. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in the draft, I select:

Andrew Jacobson

[​IMG]

Before his injury at RSL last season, Jacobson was playing great for FCD. In my opinion, his injury plus George Johns drop in form, is what really killed Dallas late last season. He can play anywhere in the middle and even played a little center back last season.

5. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    With my selection (sorry about delay),

I select:

[​IMG]

I suspect with Birchall out Stephens will play a big role with LAG. Technically adept and can play multiple positions in my formation, and has impressed with U-23's. Like this pick here...I think playing time should not be an issue, and Stephens fits the team philosophy.

6. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry it took so long, couldn't get in touch with Susaeta.

[​IMG]
    Rich Balchan

Most people tabbed Balchan as rookie of the year early on last season, which stood out to me, because no one actually cares about Columbus.

But Balchan has hopefully put the injuries past him, and he's ready to show his quality for a full season, either on the back line or in the midfield.

7. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby Wood

[​IMG]

forward

8. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in the draft, I select:

Eric Avila

[​IMG]

Eric was great coming off the bench with FCD, but could never nail down a starting spot and he seems to have found that with TFC. His attacking versatility will help me out with him being able to play on the wings, or as an attacking midfielder.

9. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For my 13th pick, I select:

Ben Zemanski

[​IMG]

Zemanski provides depth in my midfield, being able to stand in for Evans or Gerzicich. He had a good year for Chivas last year, playing in 28 games and scoring 2 goals and 4 assists.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC/IA select from FC Dallas, Daniel Hernandez

[​IMG]

Hernandez provides us with depth in the midfield as well as a large amount of experience.

11. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
  12. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    It's gotten to the tough times of the draft, where the fact that I never made a spread sheet becomes a serious liability as I see people drafted that at one point I had planned on picking by said position.

So now I will fly by the seat of my pants yet again...

[​IMG]
    ...and I choose to triple down on my midfield with Corben Bone. My idea behind this team is that my midfield will, technically, be the best of the bunch. I need luck with my striker, and health on my back line. However, I should have enough talent in the midfield where I will have a wealth of skilled players...Bone, to me, is an underrated talent here. If people havent noticed, I'm going with a five man midfield. With Califf, Chandler, Bornstein and Borchers behind them, I have stability and width from the backline. I was worried initially, but I think I have enough technical talent in the midfield now where if I do hit on a striker (which I probably won't), I will have a top team.

13. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    [​IMG]

Eddie Johnson, unattached

I think I'm buying low here - either EJ's career is going to turn around, or he's going to retire. I hope it's the former. If we can just locate him, he could be a great asset for our team.

14. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I select:

Bobby Burling

Montreal Impact

[​IMG]

For my money, the best healthy CB left in the pool. Would figure to start for Montreal in their debut season so looking for plenty of minutes and production from him. Quite a physical presence and can spell Demerit if needed.

15. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Our pick this round:

Brian Mullan

[​IMG]

Arguably the best player available at this point, unfortunately the casual MLS fan will best know him for taking out Steve Zakuani last year, rather than the 5 MLS Cup wins be's been a part of. Mullan has been a stalwart of the league for years, defining himself as one of the hardest working players around, with his non-stop effort out on the right flank. There's nothing flashy about him but he's certainly effective and his addition gives us more flexibility to play around with our lineup, if necessary.

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Luis Silva
    [​IMG]

Aron Winter on Silva in training camp: "He’s a good player. I like the way he is playing.”

I like the way good players play, too. ;)

17. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 155th choice of the Draft, Mr Martin and Giffenbone select...

Billy Schuler

Hermann Trophy Finalist in 2011 and a projected top 5 MLS SuperDraft selection, Schuler instead signed with Sweden's Hammarby. We think he's got a fine chance to contribute this year, especially with fellow American Greg Berhalter coaching him. Sweden has proven a great starting place for US Nats like Charlie Davies and Alejandro Bedoya.

Schuler will be a valuable striker sub for us, or a spot starter, where his speed and finishing will be a plus. He's also insurance in case Conor Casey needs a few additional weeks to get back into match shape this spring.

[​IMG]

18. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the last pick of the thirteenth round I select

Alan Gordon

[​IMG]

5 goals and an assist in 739 minutes last season, 6 goals and 4 assists in 1471 minutes since he left LA in 2010. A physical presence who has proven he can score in MLS, he should serve as a good backup to Lenhart. Hopefully his injury problems have cleared up with the surgery at the end of last season.

19. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Continuing my theme of San Jose players, with the first pick of the fourteenth round I select

Anthony Ampaipitakwong

[​IMG]

I needed more options on offense. Ampai can play as a CAM or out wide and offers good passing, a good touch, and an ability to help keep possession. 2 assists last season in 546 minutes—I expect he'll see more time in his second year.

20. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooops, sorry for the delay. I though Giffenbone was going to post our pick last night. Valentines Day may have sidetracked him. Anyway, edging in before the deadline, Mr Martin and Giffenbone select in the 14th Round, at pick #158...

Darrius Barnes

Another starting-quality defender who fits perfectly into our 3-5-2. Gives us a ready starter in case of emergencies or to give a guy a break in a starting rotation. Can also play left back if needed.

We have weaknesses, but not in the back.

[​IMG]

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Jason Hernandez
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very pleased to get Hernandez. Athletic center back who has grown into a leadership role on SJ's back line and is now in the prime of his career. Still quick enough to shift out right, which is where he started his career.

22. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    We're upping the average IQ points of our squad and selecting Harvard grad:

Mike Fucito

[​IMG]

After loyally sticking by him for a couple of injury hit years, the Sounders were finally rewarded last season when Fucito broke through to earn some significant playing time and show real promise. A real fan favourite, he's a quick, hard working forward, who can also operate on the flanks and play off the big man up top. We're hoping he takes another step forward this season and establishes himself as an important contributor to the Seattle side.

23. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wells Thompson

Colorado Rapids

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 goals and 3 assists for the Rapids last season while being deployed on the wings. Starter for them and gives me very adequate cover in the event that Cruz or Farfan get injured or lose form.

Round 1: Jermaine Jones
    Round 2: Maurice Edu
    Round 3: CJ Sapong
    Round 4: Michael Parkhurst
    Round 5: Jay Demerit
    Round 6: Zach Loyd
    Round 7: AJ Delagarza
    Round 8: Michael Farfan
    Round 9: Sammy Ochoa
    Round 10: Sean Johnson
    Round 11: Logan Pause
    Round 12: Danny Cruz
    Round 13: Bobby Burling
    Round 14: Wells Thompson

24. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Collen Warner, Montreal Impact

25. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yup, down to the remains at this point.

Rich Balchan, Massive. Don't have more to say right now...