Official 2012 US Draft Picks Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Harper916, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    [​IMG]

Bobby Boswell, Houston Dynamo

2. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    With my next pick, I'm selecting someone I double checked but didn't see selected but swear he had been (so someone pm me if I missed something).

Anyways:

[​IMG]

The new Union captain, and what I consider great value at this point in the draft. No longer USMNT fringe, Califf has settled in as a good, consistent, tough MLS defender. Califf with Borchers gives me experience and predictability at CB, good with a younger central midfield.

With a run on CB's before this, surprised many passed on Danny.

3. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    With our tenth round pick, FC Coulibaly select defender:

AJ Soares

We're happy to find a young defender of this caliber still available at this point in the draft. Soares and Marshall. Has a nice ring to it.

[​IMG]

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our pick, the KC/IA Connection grab our starting goalkeeper, Tally Hall.

[​IMG]

Hall had a breakout season with the Dynamo helping to lead them to MLS Cup, and earned himself an All Star game appearance against Manchester United.

5. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my tenth pick I select:

AJ Soares? No.
    Tally Hall? No.
    Danny Califf? No.

Seriously, I hate you guys.

Anyways:

Kevin Hartman

I'm on my phone so no picture but I'm very happy to get a keeper of his quality in my starting line up. His experience along with Bocanegra and Dunivant should provide stability to my back line.

6. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in the draft, I select:

Seth Sinovic

[​IMG]

Seth showed very well last season at left back for Sporting KC. He just turned 25 and with left back being such a weak spot for the US, if he can continue to improve, you would think at some point he may get a look with the nats. As for my team, he will give me the option of pushing Valentin to the right and Morales up to center mid, which from what I've read is his natural position. This also gives me some quality depth on defense if Opara or Whitbread go down with an injury and I need to slide Valentin to center back.

7. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo Mastroeni

[​IMG]

Reports are Mastroeni is taking well to Pareja's adjusted 4-3-3 in a more advanced, high press role. He gives us a veteran presence and bite in the midfield.

8. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brandon McDonald

[​IMG]

A good partner for Parke's physical presence, McDonald brings sound distribution to our central defense.

9. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in the draft, I select:

Sal Zizzo

[​IMG]

After missing a lot of time due to a torn ACL a couple of years ago, Sal is healthy and playing for Portland. I thought he played well for the Timbers last season and hopefully he can build on that. Portland have made quit a few signings this off season, so he will have some good competition for playing time. He's one of the few quality experienced wingers left and he will give my team another good attacking option.

10. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rounding out my starting lineup, I select:

Cory Gibbs

Again, I'm on my phone so no pictures.

This gives me an experienced center back pairing and Gibbs looks to play an integral part in chicago's push for the play offs this year. A solid defender, he is also a threat in the box off set pieces. He's said he feels good about his body so I hope he stays injury free this season.

11. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC-IA Connection Pick 11

[​IMG]

After 4 years with RSL, Robbie Russell has moved to DC United.

12. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    With our eleventh round pick, FC Coulibaly selects:

Gabriel Farfan

We are a little sad to split up the Farfan brothers. As the article linked below shows they are very close and it means a lot to them to be on the same team. But we felt that Gabriel's versatility made him the ideal player to start building a bench. He can play left back, right back, right mid, left mid, defensive mid and centerback. We also have some concerns about having two young and inexperienced players (Wenger and Lletget) starting in our midfield and wanted some experienced backup options on the bench.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/farfan-brothers-come-together-philadelphia

13. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    By far the weakness on my team is striker. In order for me to have the top team this year, I'll need some luck with a target striker. It's an unfortunate truth...

...as such I have to take a risk I don't think will work out, but if it did could put me over the top...

[​IMG]

Omar Salgado

Salgado probably needs another year...but the solo striker pool is weak, and I missed on Braun and Ching when I thought I'd get one with a certain pick. IF Salgado were to be traded, or win a spot...he has the talent to make him a very valuable player considering the pool. Has size, intelligence and the touch (with one foot) to be a great cog in my pass and move attack. His size is perfect for Davis' FK's and Chandler's crosses....I just need some luck that translates to playing time.

14. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    [​IMG]

Frank Simek, Carlisle United

15. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to my bench:

Logan Pause

Chicago Fire

[​IMG]

[LINEUP-4-4-2]CJ Sapong, Sammy Ochoa, ?, Jermaine Jones, Maurice Edu, Michael Farfan, Zach Loyd, Jay Demerit, Michael Parkhurst, AJ Delagarza, Sean Johnson[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Bench: Logan Pause

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We select Chris Wingert.

[​IMG]

With Wingert and Beltran in the fold, we will be rooting for RSL's defense on the flanks, needless to say.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Ching, Rolfe,
    Shea, McCarty, Kljestan, Gatt,
    Wingert, John, Anibaba, Beltran,
    Hamid[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    No time to PM or post a pic at the mo, but I select Lamar Neagle.

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team Mr Martin/Giffenbone, with the 131st pick of the draft, select...

Michael Lahoud

A talented, versatile midfielder coming off a good year in 2011, Lahoud gives our team options at defensive midfield and right midfield. Lahoud could start at DM, as he did at times last year, or RM in a 3-5-2, or at RM in a 4-4-2. He's been seeing time for Chivas in preseason at RM in a 4-2-3-1. He can also fill in at right back if needed.

We love the flexibility and dynamism he adds to our squad.

[​IMG]

19. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the last pick of the 11th round I select

Hunter Freeman

[​IMG]

20. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the first pick of the 12th round I select

Justin Morrow

[​IMG]

He's a fast LB. Can also play LM. As an added bonus, he and Beitashour are good friends. Need that squad camaraderie.

21. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for the slow pick, but I've had trouble getting through to Giffenbone to confirm the specific player from our several options. Since I'm not getting up a 4am to beat the 12 hour deadline, I'm pulling the trigger on a guy we think will suit our team very well.

With the 134th choice of the draft, Mr Martin and Giffenbone select...

Chris Tierney

He is a versatile left-side midfielder who can also play centrally and at left back if needed. He suits our 3-5-2 nicely, and gives us additional options to play a 4-4-2 whenever we want to. Scored 2 goals and added 4 assists in 2011 (and 4 more assists in 2010) for the Rev's, and will give Ashe a run for his money for a starting spot.

And he has a sweet left foot, which helps make up for our dissappointment at not getting Brad Davis earlier in the draft. Check out the video of the two DFK scores at 37 seconds and 1:50 and the two pinpoint crosses for goals at 45 seconds and 2:10. We look forward to having Tierney provide opportunities for Onyewu and Casey in the box on set pieces.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiZU0-e0i_I"]New England Revolution 2011 Goals - YouTube[/ame]

22. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Clyde Simms

[​IMG]

And here's Neagle, my previous pick
    [​IMG]
    Everybody was kung fu fighting.

[LINEUP-4-3-3] Agudelo, Braun, Pontius, Torres, Okugo, Diskerud, Pearce, Brunner, Moor, Alston, -[/LINEUP-4-3-3]
    Bench: Neagle, Simms

Simms is a no-brainer. He's a steady presence in the middle of the field who might outplay Okugo or possibly end up in the line-up alongside him. He's not too old and was MVP of a decent DC United team in 2009. It's kind of unfortunate that he had to leave DC, but not too surprising since he's on a big salary.

As for Neagle, he's got some Herculez Gomez to his game, with explosive speed, a nose for goal, and the scrappiness of an underdog. He had a breakthrough season last year playing mostly wide left but coming inside to score quite a few goals. With Seattle being a strong team, playing time is likely to remain a challenge for him.

23. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Sorry for the slight delay, anyway, we select:

James Riley

[​IMG]

Fullback was quite clearly our weakest area so we felt we needed some reinforcements there. Riley is a solid MLS talent, who also showed in his first few years in the league with the Revs how how versatile he can be, lining up anywhere from centre back to defensive midfield. He's stuck at right back the past few seasons and that's where we intend him to add depth.

24. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I select:

Danny Cruz

DC United

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cruz gets a fresh start in DC. Dont know whether I'll definitely use him in the supposedly vacant left-mid spot in my team but it would seem logical. I'm still toying with formations.

Round 1: Jermaine Jones
    Round 2: Maurice Edu
    Round 3: CJ Sapong
    Round 4: Michael Parkhurst
    Round 5: Jay Demerit
    Round 6: Zach Loyd
    Round 7: AJ Delagarza
    Round 8: Micharl Farfan
    Round 9: Sammy Ochoa
    Round 10: Sean Johnson
    Round 11: Logan Pause
    Round 12: Danny Cruz