Official 2012 US Draft Picks Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Harper916, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I select:

Michael Farfan

Midfield

Philadelphia Union

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6jOec237Nk"]Nice Michael Farfan Goal (1-2) - Philadelphia Union vs Real Madrid *HD* - YouTube[/ame]

Seeking help in the attack, so I'm selecting the Union's two-footed attacker who can play on either wing or in the middle, but projects to start for the Union on wings. Had a very strong first season in MLS with 2 goals and 3 assists in 1460 minutes. Very technically skilled player who had a sneeky trial/training stint at Sunderland before Christmas and impressed. I'm looking for Michael to have a breakout season for Philadelphia. He fits into the mold of my team of technical players nicely.

Round 1: Jermaine Jones
    Round 2: Maurice Edu
    Round 3: CJ Sapong
    Round 4: Michael Parkhurst
    Round 5: Jay Demerit
    Round 6: Zach Loyd
    Round 7: AJ Delagarza
    Round 8: Michael Farfan

[LINEUP-4-4-2]CJ Sapong, ?, ?, Jermaine Jones, Maurice Edu, Michael Farfan, Zach Loyd, Jay Demerit, Michael Parkhurst, AJ Delagarza, ?[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Not as flat a 4-4-2 as that but something along those lines.

2. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    [​IMG]

Perry Kitchen, DC United

3. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    With my eighth pick, having horribly forgotten Farfan and feeling like an idiot,

I select:

[​IMG]

I need a big striker. Bruin is one of the few left. With Ching gone I like him more...good size to play up top alone, and showed glimpses of potential last year. He will link up with teammate Brad Davis, and hopefully produce a season like Brauns last year. 9-10 goals in MLS would be great value for this pick if he makes the three-four goal leap from last year.

4. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
  5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC-IA Connection Jack McInerney - PICK 8

[​IMG]

6. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick, I select:

Bryan Gerzicich

[​IMG]

Currently with Kiryat Shmona of the Israeli league, his team is also sitting pretty on top and they look to have a date in the Champions League next season. He's played professionally in Argentina and now in Israel, but was born in Los Angeles. He's only lived here a brief amount of time, but he is US eligible and has expressed interest in playing for the USMNT. He's a defensive midfielder, so a spot on the MNT will be hard to come by, but more importantly, he starts for Shmona and will be anchoring the midfield in my line up.

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Beasley, Altidore, Corona, Evans, Adu, Gerzicich, Dunivant, Bocanegra[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

7. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in the draft, I select:

Ike Opara

[​IMG]

I'm expecting big things from Opara this year. From everything I've read, Ike is finally healthy from the broken foot that has kept him out of action for much of the past two seasons. In his limited time with San Jose, he showed a lot of promise. If he can stay healthy, he's definitely a contender for our Olympic team, especially given how weak we are in the back at that age group.

8. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next up is Jeff Parke

[​IMG]

Parke's always been a good defender, and it's good to see the off the field stuff out of the way. He's recently been called up to the national team for his stellar partnership with Hurtado in Seattle, and as you can see here, is good in the air. With Seattle expected to challenge on multiple fronts, Parke could see his reputation in MLS rise.

9. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mothef&*$@#

I had something clever, genuinely hilarious typed up and as I maneuvered through my tabs, I lost it. I'm not typing all that crap again, maybe later.

Anyways, we start off the 9th round with a backup goalkeeper: Mike Magee

[​IMG]

Even our number one pick is delighted with our talent in the nets

And LA Head Coach Bruce Arena is equally enamored with his netminding ability

Sidenote: He can also play up front and on the left side of midfield. But is he as good? Probably not

10. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With my next pick in the draft, I select:

Zarek Valentin

[​IMG]

Zarek gives me a good, young, quality defender, who can play anywhere on the backline. For now Valentin will play either left back or right back for me, but with two central defenders who have a history of injury problems, he provides cover for me at center back as well.

11. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming in at my ninth pick, I select:

Sheanon Williams

[​IMG]

A young, quality right back who will be fighting to make the Olympic squad this year. He entered MLS last year towards the end of the season, after a short stint in the lower leagues. He played and started 32 games this season with the Union, recording 1 goal and 3 assists. The US is deep in his position, but I think he can establish a role with the MNT and definitely as a pro in the next few years.

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Beasley, Altidore, Corona, Evans, Adu, Gerzicich, Dunivant, Bocanegra, , Williams, [/LINEUP-4-3-3]

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our pick, the KC/IA Connection go back to the Sporting KC well.

We select
    Michael Harrington

[​IMG]

While he lost his starting spot last year, all reports are that he's come into camp this year ready to perform. He also provides us with the versatility to play both of the wingback positions, which should be a plus for us as we look to round out our roster.

13. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fc Coulibaly selects

[​IMG]

Sebastien Lletget

We are very happy to land Lletget. The initial plan is to play him out on the right but his versatility to move into the central mid is part of the reason we are taking him. Reports out of the last u-23 camp were very positive.

14. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Wow. You may not believe this but EVERY single idea I had following my last pick was selected. My entire "who should I take list" was every pick between then and here which leaves me with a spur of the moment pick here...

[​IMG]

Don't love it, don't even like it. Like the player, was planning on taking him eventually...but it's late and I don't have time to select tomorrow and was sure I'd at least get Jack Mac, Mike Magee, Lletget, Parke, Opara or Wenger here. Seriously. Screw you guys, this late you aren't supposed to be this good.

Mod's edit: Kelyn Rowe is the pick

15. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Just in case it's not obvious, the above guy is Kelyn Rowe (I think).

I'm picking someone else, though.

[​IMG]

Brad Guzan, Aston Villa FC

Having finally gotten a run of games to establish himself at Aston Villa, Guzan's done exactly that. He's on a free this summer, and I expect him to find a place to play regularly and make everyone remember that he's the next great US goalkeeper.

16. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is getting interesting, I was lining up Rowe too! Instead I'll take:

Sammy Ochoa

Seattle Sounders

Forward

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 goals in the final 2 games of 2011 (100 minutes played in total over 4 games), a play-off start, and that's when he wasn't in that great a condition. He's showed up to pre-season in great shape and raring to go. It's a shame that Sammy never moved to MLS sooner, but better late than never. He's still only 25 and the kind of unit that I need up front. Makes great runs, knows how to put the ball in the net and will win the aerial battle against most of your defenders. A different kind of forward to Sapong which is exactly what I need. Will fight for long-balls from Jones and feed off the great service from not only Farfan but also his fellow forward Sapong.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]CJ Sapong, Sammy Ochoa, ?, Jermaine Jones, Maurice Edu, Michael Farfan, Zach Loyd, Jay Demerit, Michael Parkhurst, AJ Delgarza, ?[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

17. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Adding a centre back to partner with George John, we select:

Jalil Anibaba

[​IMG]

During a season of underacheivement for Chicago, Anibaba's play was one of the few positives. Despite being a natural centre back, Anibaba played right back most of the year and never looked out of place, starting 29 MLS games in his debut season and earing strong consideration for rookie of the year. He'll most likely being moving back to a more central role for 2012, which is where we intend to play him in our lineup. For us, he was one of the safest players to pick left on the board and also one with sizeable upside.

18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Kevin Alston

Will come back and provide info later, will appreciate if someone can pm giffenbone and Mr. Martin.

19. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    We select Davy Arnaud of the Montreal Impact

[​IMG]

20. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the last pick of the 9th round I select

Nick Rimando

[​IMG]

Good GK on a good RSL team, looked great vs Panama. Still only 32 and and has a ton of experience along with 2 MLS Cups, a 2010 All-Star selection, and a 2009 MLS Cup MVP. Somewhat in the national team picture as well.

21. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With the first pick of the 10th round I select

Steven Beitashour

[​IMG]

I might have been able to get him later because I'm not sure how well-known he is, but I've had him as my RB since almost the beginning. With 7 assists in 1655 minutes last season, he was the clear leader in assists on the Earthquakes and was tied league-wide for the most assists from a defender in 2011 (and seventh overall, with the only players more than 2 ahead being Davis, Beckham, Rosales, and DeRosario). Formed a great partnership with Lenhart last season, assisting on 3 of Lenhart's 5 goals. Definitely happy to pick both guys up.

Also dominated San Jose's 2011 crossbar challenge. All-around good soccer player really.

22. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our 10th Round pick, #110 overall, Giffenbone and Mr Martin select...

Ugo Ihemelu

We are pleased to add another mobile, high quality CB in the prime of his career for our 3-5-2 formation. Ugo is a key player for Dallas, especially with John’s club status uncertain. We very much like the potential of the Ihemelu—Onyewu—Wynne back line, with Franklin and Ashe running up and down the flanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Draft is all downhill from here...

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Eric Brunner
    [​IMG]

And here's a shot of Alston since I missed that before
    [​IMG]

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Agudelo,Braun,Pontius,Torres,Okugo,Diskerud,Pearce,Brunner,Moor,Alston,[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

Along with seemingly everyone one, I had most of my draft list blown to shreds, yet I'm very pleased with the two players who made it down to me. Brunner and Alston weren't on good teams last year, but even so, I thought they stood out as two of the best young defenders in the league. They fit very nicely into my lineup, as well.

24. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This came around quick. Anyway, filling out the rest of our backline, we're going to go for:

Tony Beltran

[​IMG]

A member of Real Salt Lake's stellar defence over the past few seasons, Beltran will slot in at right back for us, though he could easily shift over to the left if required. Equally adept going forward as in defence, we saw him as the best fullback available.

25. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I select:

Sean Johnson

Chicago Fire

[​IMG]

Goalkeeper, young, talented, national teamer these days. Yeah...