Official 2012 Nadeshiko Japan Thread [R] - part I

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Micol, Jan 3, 2012.

1. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, with all the clues given, there were only three players to choose from. There was only one game that fit the criteria and it was well describe in the Nadeshiko-League blogspot by our friend an_tutar. The only thing I could not see there was the number of attempts each player made at the goal...
    That blog has a lpt of information... :)

2. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Regarding the highlights: Nittaidai gave Sendai quite a bit of trouble. It will be interesting to see how Vegalta will fair in the Nadeshiko League. I have a feeling we might be looking at a sixth place at best. Unless they didn't put everything in te last game and were just "playing".

3. an_turtar

an_turtar Member+

Apr 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Will space alien Hanabusa Misa play? No, once again she was the only Nagano player not to play.

Can Toriumi Mai lead her team back for another season? Yes, apparently she can, I can't see Norddea coming back now. Sasaki and Iwasaki both scored, the only other time that happened this season was in the 5-0 demolition of Bunnys.

Can Tabata Sayuri provide the inspiration for Norddea? No, she didn't even play. Maybe she changed her mind about playing for them.

Will Nagoya look for two draws to go to another penalty shootout? Well, they're still in it, but it looks tough for them.

blissett repped this.
  4. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Regarding the Senior team:
    Not sure who might be leaving and needs to be replaced, but Yoko Tanaka should get a chance. Naomoto would be an option but those positions are already crowded in the senior team.
    I haven't looked back into the NTs history, but what about Vegalta's Ito? She is a good forward and might be a good addition. Might play well with Sameshima (if the Shark stays on). But maybe Minako, being 26, is already a little too old to start with the seniors.

5. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Somehow I'd like Nagoya to make it. But maybe that is only because the company may wife works for has their headquarter there...

6. an_turtar

an_turtar Member+

Apr 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Amazingly, Kojima's rate was 44.4% before last weekend's game in which she took four shots and didn't score. It's only really her first season too, she's credited with an appearance last year, but that was just a five minute substitute appearance.

7. an_turtar

an_turtar Member+

Apr 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    She started the year as a defender, after a while was moved into midfield and for the last game was a forward. For the first cup game they'll probably start her in goal.

8. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What is going to happen to Nakada Ayu (this type of question always sounds dramatic)? She came to INAC with great fanfare but somehow the star blinked out quickly. Her U20 debut wasn't that successful, she doesn't get much time to play for INAC. She obviously had - and likely still has - great potential, but maybe a star-studded team like INAC is not a good place for her...

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mmm, not sure if I agree with you at the moment... Yoko Tanaka should manage to play as a starter in her club, before she can be considered for senior National Team, and I guess this isn't going to happen next season (especially if Kyokawa is back). It's true that competition in INAC is high, but that doesn't matter: a player that isn't a starter in her club doesn't get senior caps. Don't get me wrong, I am a Yoko Tanaka's fan as much as the next guy, and I guess in the end she could make it to join the group before 2015: it's just I don't feel it is next season (or, for sure, not so early next season as for the friendly vs Germany).
    Naomoto, at least, uses to play in Urawa, although, as you say, midfield is quite crowded: we're going to see if Sawa keeps playing (I'd bet she wants to play at least Asian Cup 2014, that she never won, and then, who knows... :giggle:); I am not sure if Sakaguchi's injury will keep her out for long, but she should be back and fit for middle-2013, when the friendly match is planned. Anyway, in fact Naomoto and/or Shibata could be tried, if only for some training camps...
    About Minako Ito, she still havs to show if she can be as effective in Nadeshiko League as she was in Challenge League (and even here she had blank moments); still: I am a fan of the girl, but in fact she's already 26 and for the FW place there are a lot of players in line, between established ones (Ogimi, Kawasumi, Ohno) and potential new additions (Otaki, Asano Nagasato).

In the context of the discussion we had about Uetsuji and her goals and assists this season (am I wrong or some days ago she's been presented here as the MVP of this year's Challenge League?), do you think Sasaki will call her again, now that she's going to play in L-League? o_O

10. an_turtar

an_turtar Member+

Apr 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No, that was me saying I'd voted for her as best player for Vegalta Sendai. I believe they'll announce the winners all together at the end of the season. Last year's Challenge League winners were Kyokawa Mai in the East and Takahashi Chiho in the West.

11. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes, after the WWC 2011, he said that he was very pleased about the offers from these federations to have friendlies. The USA aside, it had been difficult for them to have games against these nations. Now they are the side who can pick the opponents.

I agree with you on that it will be an interesting couple of years ahead. Sasaki has a different task on his hand compared to when he took this position as a national coach last time around. He had bunch of talented young players who already had decent experiences. The core of the squad when he took over was already in national team. Apart from a few additions, all he had to do was to make the team grow through various competitions.
    This time around, they may need to have fresh blood before 2015 world cup and 2016 Olympics. A several will reach 30 by the time next world cup/Olympics come around. They will be in the squad, but I'm sure they need new players for the team to grow.

The thing is that it won't be easy for young players to get into the national team squad and get experiences compared to, say, 5-8 years ago. The core of the current team, they were all given opportunities in very early ages. It is simply not like that anymore. I feel, apart from Kyokawa, if another player from the recent U20 squad makes it to the national team in 2015 world cup, that would be more than decent. I think any fresh blood is likely to come from players a few years older than them - likes of Otaki, Nagasato, Kira etc.

12. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    @ blisset (I am not using the quote function because it is too complicated using a phone to work the long quotes):
    You are correct, there are many established players in the FW position but backups are needed. It's not that Tanaka should play right away, but should get a spot on the team. Even if only on the bench, I think the experience would be good for her.
    As far as her time with the club is concerned: It seems to get better. Of course she needs to work hard to be allowed more time on the field for INAC but they need to recognize her as well and give her more time to proof herself. If they only rely on their NT players, talent will be wasted (yes, yes, she is only 19) or go somewhere else.
    I knew Ito wasn't a good suggestion simply because of her age. I justed wanted to get her out there. She probably should have proven herself around the same time Same did to have a chance anyways.

13. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    @ hirohiro: I always forget about that early 20's group. The light is always on the seniors or the youngsters, it seems... There is a lot more depths....

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A good sign for young INAC's players (and I am thinking also at Nakada, who's obviously passing through a not-so-good moment, to put it lighlty) is that on their blogs the two american players, Moros and Goebel-Yanez, always talk about their time at INAC as a one-only-season experience (by this time they keep mourning all the time about the fact that this time with their new japanese friends is coming to an end :p).
    Probably you noticed that both Becky and Goebel put up quite consistent performances and, slowly but steadily, they conquered an established starting place in the team. Now, if they really are going to get back in USA at the end of this season, and if INAC is not going to sign other players overseas, a pair of spots could be open for the U-20 girls: Becky's one in DF could be for Nakada, while Goebel-Yanez' one is likely to be taken over by Kyokawa, but could also give Yoko Tanaka more space and playing time (especially if Kyokawa still needs some months to complete her rehab or anyway to get in full fitness; we saw with Maruyama that this isn't an easy task nor a fast one).

15. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't think it makes much sense to bring a player to the national team who doesn't play for her club regardless of their potentials. We mustn't forget that there are plenty of young players who are already playing in the Nadeshiko League week in week out and they are ahead of the queue at the moment. Same for Yoko Tanaka, she just have to produce performances for her club and prove you're worthy of getting into the national team. If she's not getting any playing time, so be it. In her position, apart from Chi-Soyun, she's behind other Japanese players not just Sawa.

On the related note, we've had plenty of talents in the central midfield in recent years. However I'm not so sure if that's the case for 2015 WWC. Taking Sawa out, we've got Sakaguchi and... I think Miyama will play in the central midfield more from now on but I'd like somebody to challenge Sakaguchi's position as well. Given her age, I thought she would kick on after 2011, but her development sort of stagnated a bit (although she had niggling injuries, to be fair). Looking around, I can't really see any players at the moment. We've got a few in U20, but I'm still skeptical if they'll be ready for 2015. For 2015, if I pick one player from U20 squad apart from Kyokawa, it would be Naomoto. Defensively Sakaguchi is better (although Naomoto impressed me defensively during U20 tournament), but I think Naomoto can player her role...

As for forwards, it will be tough - Ogimi, Ohno, Kawasumi (although she'll probably play on the wide midfield more), then almost forgotten Iwabuchi. Then you've got Kyokawa, Otaki, as well as players getting the results in Nadeshiko league like Nagasato and Kira, also very unfortunate Nigata's Sugasawa.

16. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    If you choose players based on the League results, you can never forget Takase.
    I don't know if she can score lots of goals just because she is an Inac player, but ...

17. an_turtar

an_turtar Member+

Apr 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Tomorrow's Anclas-Urawa game will be shown at 7 pm on Sky Perfect, who can forget the hilarity of the last meeting between the two? The INAC-Beleza game is live of course. For a change I'll actually get to see it.

18. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It is interesting to see Kyokawa mentioned all the time despite her absence due to injury. She must be the (set "the" in italics) talent. As you know, I came late to the N-League and saw her introduced to INAC and badly injured shortly after. I have no idea what was special about that part of the "terrific three" of which Ayu and Yoko are the other two parts. At least those two I could watch grow for some time.

19. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes, Takase needs to be considered in the future. Some pages back I was thinking about that, just to be reminded that she was already on the team.

20. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    At the senior level, we have seen only glimpse of her. However she had played in the senior national team already also she was scoring for fun in the Nadeshiko League until she got injured. That said, we have to be careful here not to get carried away as she was given the opportunities in INAC ahead of better players than her at that time as the league's fixtures were so that they start to meet teams from the lower table (these are Hoshikawa's words). Unfortunately we didn't get to see how she would play against the teams (usually) at the top half of the table. She did score goals but they were against those teams that INAC usually thrash and she got plenty of services.

What I'd like her about is that she looks like a natural goal scorer. I think we don't really have this type of player in Japan. I'm not talking about how many goals she scored or other players scored. It's about her movement, the timing of the runs and her finish. Hard to explain, but to me, she looks different to other Japanese strikers.

21. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So she has played a lot on the club level and has proven her value. Where did she play before INAC? How old is she?

Let's hope she will recover well and get back to her old form. It sounds like she would be an asset.

22. an_turtar

an_turtar Member+

Apr 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

23. an_turtar

an_turtar Member+

Apr 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Here she is with Nakada.
    [​IMG]

24. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, but the thing is she doesn't play as a forward anymore. She was a forward in U20 and in INAC before Hoshikawa came. Apart from that she usually plays as a wide midfield player for both club and national team. Probably I shouldn't have included Kawasumi on that list in that context, but she did play as a forward until just before the Olympics.

I think those strikers will fight for the spots in national team that are different to the one Takase will be fighting for...

unepomme repped this.
  25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #5nadeshikofan, I see an_turtar answered to you already, his way... :giggle:

Anyway, I'll add that not only Kyokawa was team-mate with Ayu Nakada in Tokiwagi High School last season, and she scored clusters of goals and was chosed as Challenge League's MVP (as an_turtar mentioned earlier), but, maybe more importantly, she was a pillar of U-19 National Team, that went on winning 2011 AFC U-19 Championship without conceding a single point and thus qualifying for WWC: it's the team that this year was better known as U-20 :rolleyes:.
    Mai Kyokawa was best scorer at the AFC U-19 Championship (Maybe someone also remembers with how many goals exactly) and someone rightly said that her injury was a big loss especially for U-20 WWC on home soil (more than for Olympics, since it wasn't sure at all that Sasaki would have nominated for London and I tend to think he wouldn't have): we saw that Yoko Tanaka somehow made up for that, but, as hirohiro said, Kyokawa was a different kind of player, the full "striker" that sometimes Japanese women's football seem to lack at various levels.
    Not only Kyokawa impressed in the first matches of Nadeshiko League (although admittedly with lower teams in the rankings), but she also showed good things in some international friendly matches that INAC had in the first part of 2012 (vs Barcelona FC, Sky Blue FC, etc.): in particular I seem to remember that she had scored an impressive brace vs Sky Blue FC (not the match where Michigami was guest star for INAC, the other one :giggle:).

The story of Mai Kyokawa wouldn't be complete if you didn't know the way she is often referred to on this thread: you'll read sometimes people calling her "River Dance Kyo"; it's just one of those lunatics translations of players' names made by Google translator :laugh:. Since River Dance Kyo was funny, it somehow stuck up.