Official: [2012 Matchday 2] Union v Colorado Rapids - March 18, 2012 p/d/p [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Mar 13, 2012.

1. US Spurs

US Spurs Member

May 3, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder where Nowack is going to play Al?

Y'know Al....our BIG off season acquisition........

Al Location

2. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get it. Torres was not on the injury report last Friday, but did not travel with the team. He could not play on Monday night due to an ankle injury and isn't even on the injury report on Tuesday: http://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-injury-report? Something isn't right.

(FWIW, I study/analyze the injury reports for MLS fantasy purposes. For the most part, I find them to be generally accurate.)

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Gomez and Carroll looked like they did not have defined roles on Monday, but I am not sure how much was due to Lopez' ineptitude. I recall seeing Lopez wandering into the DM position a couple times, but can not remember how often either Gomez or Carroll tried to cover the LB position. Plus I could hardly pick out who was whom except for Lopez with his hair.

To give a better analysis would require me to re-watch the game which isn't happening.

4. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    That's a pretty good idea. I'd move Mwanga/Martinez up for a 4-1-3-2, but that's a minor quibble. Put Gomez directly ahead of Carroll and see what happens.

5. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But historically we DO have wide players who can effectively get down the wings - Daniel, Marfan, Williams and more but ONLY late in a game and ONLY when we're down a goal.

The rest of the time we play absolute scared, negative football - thumping the ball over the top and losing it etc...

6. Neals1964

Neals1964 Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Valley forge
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give Lopez another shot but have tartan ready if he start slipping again. Start Carroll and hope that macmath has learned some Spanish to scream direction to Lopez.

7. gta95

gta95 Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Jersey
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I'm asking for is a 4-4-2 diamond.

MacMath; Lopez, Califf, Valdes, Williams; Daniel, Torres, Gomez, Marfan; Pajoy, Mwanga

Torres at the top of the triangle, Gomez starting the play from the back. No more negative football either please.

8. Jobu215

Jobu215 Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I just don't see either Carroll or Gomez being left out of the Starting XI, even though having them both in the lineup puts a severe hamstring on our offensive flexibility and creativeness. So I'd expect something along these lines:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Pajoy, Mwanga, Torres, Gomez, Carroll, M. Farfan, de la Rocha, Valdes, Califf, Williams, MacMath[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

With Torres given the flexibility to cheat to the middle as Gomez and Carroll hang back and try not to step on each other. Though this formation would lend itself to Gabe in LB, since he's shown an inclination (maybe even overeagerness) to push up the left flank. If I had my druthers, it'd be:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Pajoy, Mwanga, Free at Last, Torres(^), Gomez(v), M. Farfan, G. Farfan, Valdes, Califf, Williams, MacMath[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

9. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Mwanga, Pajoy, Daniel, Gomez, Carroll, M. Farfan,
    Garfan, Califf, Valdes, Williams, MacMath[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

10. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone who is ready to leave the newcomers out of the lineup after the Portland game might want to think again.

That was their first MLS game.
    Definitely their first time traveling three timezones west to play.
    And probably their first time playing at 9:30 pm after such a trip.

All of those factors create havoc even with experienced MLS players.
    We won't know what we have with these new guys until we see them @ PPL.

11. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wiser words were never spoken - (at least on BigSoccer)

12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add onto that playing on a small, plastic pitch that the opposition has much greater comfort and familiarity. Might not look good now, but I agree that you have to give it a little more time to make a true assessment.

13. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not exactly a high bar you're setting, there ;)

14. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree with you but it was 9:30 here therefore the kickoff time for them was 6:30. Otherwise I agree with your sentiments.

15. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Define "newcomer".

Looking at game 1's lineup, I just "hokey-pokied" it.

You know......you leave the right ones (vets) in-you take the wrong ones (Not ready for prime time) out...........

I was worried about Martinez and McMath getting starts @ Portland due to their overall inexperience. Borne out. Have no choice in net, Putting Josue in that situation was inexcusable.

I just watched the Timbers game again. Final grade in on the new LB.

Rated as F- to the nth power of suck. Good news: it's not possible for me to grade you any worse. No thanks. Orlando fans told us in pre-season he was horrible-nobody wanted to believe it. Hair makes Gabe look good as a defender.

I want guys playing positions they have played well here before. Not interested in dropping home games to experiment or prove points.

Some youthful excitement what you want? OK.......Consider a shock move and bring Hoffman on in the 2nd half in favor of whichever striker fades/disappears first.

At least there's some hope the UCLA kid wouldn't be afraid to shoot.........

16. BernieLomax

BernieLomax New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Big day for Philly sports on Sunday on NBC. Flyers-Penguins is the undercard to this game.

17. bluestate

bluestate Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Bethlehem, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just need to see some glimmer of hope from the Union on Sunday because after watching both US clubs crash out of the CCL in horrible fashion - added to the negativity running rampant here - this season is starting to feel like it's over before it has barely even started.

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet on another preseason game Lopez had a cross which I believe Valdes headed in for a goal. Yep, he sucks real bad, huh?

Moving on seeing as this is the Union-Rapids game thread ...

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Mwanga, Pajoy, Daniel, Carroll, Gomez, Martinez, Lopez, Califf (c), Valdes, Williams, MacMath[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

19. daveFC

daveFC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Audubon New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lopez ..umm Hair, seems to have become the scapegoat thus far.
    I hope he plays better. I'd like to think it was just a bad game .
    It will be interesting to see how he performs against Colorado, at home and on grass.

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because Alhassan had a MotM game Monday night.

21. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we learned last year that Caroll is much better when he plays DM by himself. In case you forgot, Sunday was another reminder. He was tripping over Gomez the whole time as they were both in the same space. This was when he wasn't coughing up the ball, of course.

Anybody know anything about the cRapids' offseason acquisitions? There's a new coach for them this year, but I haven't followed their roster turnover. I always look forward to seeing them playing their unique brand of thugball.

22. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are basically my exact thoughts, though I wouldn't be surprised to see Moartinez instead of Mwanga in the first formation. I don't expect Torres to start with him coming off injury (even if mild), so I think we'll be likely to see the top formation.

23. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Lopez had some nice passes forward in the Timbers game. Unfortunately, offensive prowess is the 5th most important talent for a left back. Number one is footspeed.

And speaking of speed, a certain Mr. Cummings loves to attack on the right side. If Lopez can not keep up with him - and he looked the slowest of any Union player Monday - it will be a long day for our guys.

24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is Nowak's system we're talking about ...

25. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glad to see Lopez at the meet and greet. was worried Novak gave him the David Myrie treatment