Official: [2012 Matchday 2] Union v Colorado Rapids - March 18, 2012 p/d/p [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Mar 13, 2012.

1. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would really like to believe this. It is true that we controlled the game - especially during the first half - but we have historically played much better at home. Certainly there were some good chances, but they were squandered as is often the case. The finishing really has to improve. Far too many shots were put wide, over the bar, or directly at the keeper.

The team's road performances are another matter entirely. Winning away games is what will make a championship team. Too many points were left on the road last year against weak sides like Vancouver, Chicago, and DC.

I think the high water mark for 2011 was after the Gold Cup when Ruiz was firing on all cylinders and Harvey was still with the club. After those two trades (and Daniel's visa issues), the team stagnated until Le Toux broke out.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In conjunction with this, for folks screaming that Lopez should've cleared the ball on Cummings' cross/Castrillon's goal, he was in perfect position to do so but ZM18 tips the ball over his head.

3. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remember... you miss 100% of the backpasses you don't take...

4. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think Lopez was bad at all. I thought Mwanga had periods of absolutely awful play and obviously Albright had a tough time on the second goal, but Lopez was the least of the team's problems.

5. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok - that brings up a question that hasn't been posted here yet. WTF was Albright going on about after he screwed the pooch?! Was he yelling at the other Union or the refs or what?!

6. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He, and Martino doing color commentary, thought he was fouled when Cascio took the ball.

7. Leh2

Leh2 New Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Player ratings

What r ur player ratings for the opener? Also check my created union players on fifa 12 under invert48. They look good as doop. If you have specific attribute suggestions let me know. I made pajoy gomez martinez and more bam. My ratings are.

Macmath 4
    Albright 3
    Lopez 4
    Williams 5
    Valdez 4.5
    Daniels 5
    Farfan 5.5
    Torres 6.5
    Gomez 6
    Mwanga 6
    Pajoy 7
    Martinez 5
    Hernandez 4.5
    Carroll i don't remember anything he did.

8. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which to me was infuriating. He may very well have been clipped and fouled, but you don't just sit there lying on the ground and complaining while the opposing player is dribbling uncontested to the goal. I mean, there probably wasn't much Albight could have ended up doing, but you don't just give up on a play like that, not in such a critical situation in terms of location of the field.

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also watched the DVR of the game. You're spot on, as we played well on Sunday with the exception of the two gaffes. On the first goal, if you re-watch it, it appears that Lopez jumps to head the ball away.........but then MacMath got caught off guard and actually tipped the ball AWAY from Lopez when he tried to recover and catch it. So Lopez couldn't have marked Catrillion. Lopez was actually in good position to play the ball prior to it getting tipped.

10. soccerdad1150

soccerdad1150 Member

Sep 22, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This....exactly. Just happens.....

Now the second goal...that's all on Albright. yes, he got clipped, but the play should not have been close. he thought the ball was going out and didn't start hard after it until a second or two went by. That delay gave the Rapids guy a chance to get into the mix.

11. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad defending, bad goalkeeping, bad coaching, you pick the reason. The Unions spin is "Unlucky Goals," whatever... We should focus on all the new mistakes they will make against the Fire. I am guessing we will let a goal in from a goalkeeping error and another goal from a bad defending error 0-2.

12. wscottl

wscottl Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SE PA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Player ratings

I thought Albright played well in the first half. Sorry to see the missed tackle/clear attempt TBH.

Daniels was another I would raise slightly, played well.

13. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Billf - I missed that from section 104. At least I know the guy's not just insane.

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I've been talking about!

15. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Honestly, as an Arsenal fan as well, I'm just tired of hearing "unlucky" "very close". Close this, close that. Been close for Arsenal for 7 years. Real Madrid have been close for 3 years to winning a league. Union was close Sunday, will probably be close in Chicago.. hell we could be "close" every single game and finish with 0 points. Close really doesn't count for much. Of course I hope I am eating my words come June or whatever, but I'd really hate to be in this position in June and keep talking about how "close this has been".

16. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Valdes has a tendency to do this as well.

17. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That play Albright made, he'd get a 0 from me................that was friggin pathetic

18. Danny Le Torres

Jul 15, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I watched the entire game again last night, and I actually feel a lot better about the team this year. I'm even going to cut Albright 3% slack on that play, as he was clipped from behind (but should have just run the ball out of bounds instead of trying for a big wind-up).

My point is that it seemed like we played so much better after watching several plays again.

I can see this team, unlike last year's team, turning a lot of mid-to-late summer ties into wins instead of sleep walking and tying everyone at PPL. And I don't see any real defensive concerns except for 53:00 - 80:00 in Portland.

So I see a bright road ahead -- even if we lose on Saturday. (see Sporting KC last year)

The biggest positive IMO is Gomez and the set pieces. 4 this year, almost scoring on 3 and scoring on 1. I like that ratio. Torres is better on the "run-of-play" set pieces, but the ball is getting where it needs to be. I see 3 and 4-goal games this year. Bad news for our conference.

19. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok KC last year had a brutal away schedule, while their stadium was being built. Union always have problems with away games and can't win at home despite being a man up. Bright side is still very, very, blurry to me.

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always is a pretty absolute term. And you know what they say about who deals in absolutes.

Did the Union have a problem at BMO Field on May 28th?
    How about on July 17th at Gillette Stadium?
    October 8th at CenturyLink?
    Remember any of the handful of 1-pointers they pulled off?

That there is about 14 points the Union snagged in away games. Just sayin'.

21. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I'm sorry always was a little harsh. They are not that dominate away, besides that May 28th game against a very poor TFC side. My main point was that KC had a harder road last year, compared to the Unions current situation.

22. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

23. Zolo-Hornet

Zolo-Hornet Member

Apr 7, 2008
    West Chester
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Ahhh the old "I don't remember anything he did" quote. Fair enough but Carroll is one of the most important and effective players on the team. Worth his weight in gold. Quiet and efficient. Crucial player Carroll.