Official: [2012 Matchday 14] Union @ Houston Dynamo - June 30, 2012 p/d/p [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Jun 26, 2012.

1. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    FYP. Whatever this formation is, it really fits the players' strengths well. Carroll way deep, Adu up in the corner, sending crosses in and not having to worry as much about defense, JackMac up front to poach...even Lahoud, who seemed pretty poor at first, is thriving in a "run around like a madman and wreck everything" role. Overall, just lots of fun. I don't even care about getting a result in this game, I just want to see a total attacking effort that puts the fear of God into teams from now on.

novafan12, Amscray, INTRNTNL and 2 others repped this.
  2. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only game I was truly disappointed in Lahoud was his first game where they had him at RB. Since he has been in the midfield his play has been better. Though he is still begging for red with some of his tackles.

My lineup would be (to lazy to get a chart)
    JacMac-Pajoy-Adu
    Gomez-Carroll-Marfan
    Garfan-Valdes-Okugo-Williams
    Big Orange Guy

subs would be depending on game, if up 2 take off Adu or Jack depending on fitness for Lahoud a switch to either a diamond mid or the dreaded empty bucket, then Hoppenot for the other (unless Pajoy is laboring) and the final sub could be Torres or Daniel for anyone needing to come out

If down, Hoppenot is first in, then Torres for the same first two then Keon for Lahoud.

3. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I'm down with Hoppenot being the first sub as I like what he has shown in the last 2 games, In spanish we would say he has shown 'cojones' and 'hagallas' and I like players like that even if they don't always work out in the pitch, I like Gomez for the same reason and of course many would agree that El Capitan does too.

4. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point, don't we get all of that good distribution type stuff from Torres as well?

Also, I agree with Gomez for Lahoud, but I think both Gomez (and especially Torres) would need a couple of appearances as a sub to regain fitness before starting. I doubt either would get the start in the Houston heat.

I know this is what we're 'calling' the formation, but I really don't think it plays this way, especially with regard to Freddy's role.

He doesn't seem to really be playing as a forward, just as a midfielder who has been relieved of the defensive side of the game. Like an attacking mid, but shaded to the right rather than playing out of the center as a traditional CAM would.
    So when we're in the midfield portion of our passing progression, he's playing like a right mid, with Lahoud shading to the center.
    I think that's the best use of him really and allows him to express himself in the game.

On the whole, it's an extremely fluid setup with Adu, Marfan, and Lahoud free to roam from channel to channel, especially when they're trying to get open for a pass from the D to Mid.

I think the fluidity is a big part of what's been giving other teams difficulty, but it also demands a really slick bit of chemistry between the midfielders (and I'm including Adu in this). They need to be constantly aware of their interchanging positions and avoid stepping on each other.
    And THAT, I think, in the final analysis is why Hack will stick w/ the same midfielders until something forces a change (exhaustion, injury, performance, etc).

Yeah, long way of saying, I think we'll see the same lineup (with the exception of Valdes for Lopez, and maybe Williams for Gaddis if his foot allows).

5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Williams' toe is miraculously better, I'm guessing Michael Farfan slots into RB opposite his brother at LB, while Keon gets the start out on the left. Or we have a midfield-three of Lahoud-Carroll-Gomez. Or, they throw Soumare to the wolves, start him at CB, and push Amo-beast out to RB. Or, better yet, I just STFU and let Hackworth & Co. do their jobs.

7. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doop and fcobbina repped this.
  8. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it was only a third as bad as Marquez's tackle on Salinas.

I understand the pros and cons of post-match refereeing. But I think MLS is going too far with it. SKC didn't exactly play a "clean" game.

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah how about some retro active action for Kemara going all Macho Man Randy Savage flying elbow on MacMath????

Handsome Pete repped this.
  10. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks for our defense, but it's hard to argue with the decision.

11. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what Hack said yesterday and the fact that Williams was working out prior to the USOC match on Tuesday, it is possible that Williams could play. If so, it's not an issue.

If Williams can't go, it may solve the problem of how to play Gomez. Marfan could slot back to RB and the mids could be Lahoud, Carroll and Gomez.

Also, wasn't there a game earlier this year where Carroll played RB in the second half? Not ideal (and maybe part of the "Nowak problem"), but still a possibility.

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lahoud can play RB as well.

13. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't do so well the game he was back there though it was only his first or second game with the team so maybe that factored into it. My guess is Marfan if Williams can't go. He has shown well there in spot duty.

14. ScottP from DE

Jun 22, 2012
    Dover, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was relieved that the Gaddis card was only yellow. If Sheanon can't go on Saturday, then I would have to vote for Lahoud at RB. Personally I'd rather have Marfan in the midfield over Lahoud. Does Hackworth dare slot Party Rock at RB? :(

15. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he plays, at the very least I would like to hear this instead of Bush before kickoff.

EDIT: Except we're not at home. Duh.

16. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Albright was warming up at the islanders game too, so it looks like he could slot in along the line and be an instant upgrade over party-rock

17. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You obviously didn't go to the Open Practice. Albright was beyond woeful in the practice games. You could see he was frustrated with himself.

18. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a waste that Lopez sucks. I would love to see this used more.

19. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is huge.......after 3 solid performances, we have some momentum and what looks like a good team spirit. Now we need the points!

TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  20. j ladai

j ladai Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  21. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    : MacMath; Williams, Okugo, Valdes, G. Farfan; M. Farfan, Carroll, Gomez, Daniel; Perlaza, Pajoy
    bench: Konopka, Torres, Hoppenot, Adu, Albright, Martinez, Lahoud

Perlaza full debut. Should be interesting.

22. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    So if it ain't broke fix it i guess. I know jack mac cant be helped

23. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu bench? Not a complaint.

24. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure he is still a little tired from the the US Open match?

25. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    he only played 60 minutes. Or am I misremembering. I'm ok with the line-up. Would like to see what Perlaza does with a start.