Official 2012/2013 Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Daei_10, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think he's on a five year loan with a option to buy for €49m.

2. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Melo and his stupid headless chicken red cards in midfield that would cripple us. Definitely world class.

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'd take Melo back any day. Diego too.

4. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'd take Diego. but only so I could feel good about wearing my Diego jersey in public. :p but I would take Diego back, we let him go way too soon and when we needed quality desperately.

5. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Absolutely. This is exactly why I cast doubt onto my own judgement when making assessments especially when they are opposed to the ideas of a successful professional such as Conte.

My humility resides in trusting a coach who has found that the 3-5-2 is the ideal set up to play both domestically and internationally.

I trust a coach who purposely has gone without using wingers and pure fullbacks in order to bring in players with the capacity to play in duel roles. Those players have been incredibly successful.

The squad list that you provided suggests that your vision of not only the types of players, but also the formation is superior to Conte's current set up.

It would be one thing to desire such changes if the team was not up to the standard that Juve should uphold. It would one thing if the coach and organization were in dire disarray where Juve on and off the field lacked an identity. If that weren't the case, then I could understand wanting new player types and formations.

I could also understand if the quality of players available to Juve forced Conte to make such tactical changes. Clearly if Juve were gifted Messi, one would have to build a system around such a special player. Walcott and Cole are not to that standard (although Cole a few years ago was an excellent player). It is not to say that Walcott is poor. It is that this type of player hasn't fit (as deemed by Conte who has shipped out Krasic and Elia) and why waste even 10 million on a player when that money should go toward what the team needs in this current format.

Juventus are no longer a team in transition. To change course now after winning the league followed by CL success would be hard pressed especially when it contradicts what Conte has help build.

So you are right in saying that what I don't know could fill pages. I happily accept that because my decision making has no bearing on the team. I say happily because this Juventus is working and that has much to do with the knowledge that Conte possesses.

6. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I could not have said this better myself, especially without using profanity. thank you good sir. Makes me chuckle when people question why Bonucci plays long balls or why Mirko/Isla/BonBon starts...the man who lit his torch and led us out of the darkness of Calciopoli is giving out those instructions and works with these players day in and day out. He knows what works and has constantly shoved it in our faces. Forza Conte.

7. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    The fact that Mirko and Bonucci start does not make them infallible. Nor does it make them Conte's ideal players. How quickly people have forgotten that when Conte would revert to a four-man backline, Bonucci would always be the player dropped--and it's not as if Vucinic always starts.

Regarding Melo, I agree with Duck in part. The season before he came to us, he was outstanding. Our mistake was assuming that he had that type of class, rather than he just had a good season. The even bigger mistake was paying a fortune for him; but we shouldn't have expected any less from Secco & co. That said, Melo isn't a bad player. However, we have no need for him at this point. Nor do we need Diego, who was clearly overrated from the start.

8. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    When you hear opposing teams purposely go out of their way to mention how well coached Juventus are, it speaks volumes as to how tactically sound this team is.

Fernandinho

"Juventus shows an aggressive style of play. They have a well-organized and strong defense, and they can orchestrate fast counterattacks."

"Juventus were well organized and unfortunately we ended up losing the match."

David Luiz
    "La Juventus ha un grande allenatore e può arrivare in finale”."

Mourinho

""The fans call Conte the Italian Special One? I like that. I feel honoured. He is a bit like me," Mourinho was quoted as saying by Tuttosport.

"I like Conte a lot as a coach. He knows what he wants and is a real winner. He has a lot of charisma."

Couple that with the performances on the field and you have a good idea as to how skilled Conte is as a team manager and tactician. As someone who really enjoys this side of the game, it is a pleasure to learn from this period rather than attempt to be overly critical.

If one is overly critical now and wants to break trends when successful, than when is it the ideal time to not be in flux as an organization? Clearly when the team is losing new methods need to be tried after enough of a sample size has been obtained. This is not where Juventus are now, although that was the case before the Conte era.

That said, no disrespect with those that are critical of how Juve go about their business. That can be part of the enjoyment for some fans. There is nothing wrong with that. Keep in mind though at times your suggestions run counter to what Conte, who has had success as a player and manager, has employed. This is more a call for humility when writing about what each of us think is best. Perhaps we are not qualified to speak on such terms.

Now if they sucked.... all reason goes out the wind!

1251alex repped this.
  9. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005

Agreed on Melo and Diego. As far as the current players, sure they might not be the ideal in the sense that it is clearly arguable that both are not the best in the world in their roles. That said, Bonucci has improved immensely from last year. His performances seems to have started to go uphill after the run of ties Juve had after the break in early 2012. If I remember correctly he was horrible vs Chievo and that type of performance has not been on display this year (IMO).

To say that Juventus are no longer a team in transition doesn't mean they can't improve on the pieces they have within the framework. It is this call to revamp the system in order to accommodate ok players that seems at odds with where Juve are. To do so risks blowing up the whole situation that is currently working extremely well.

In all, I do agree that those players are not infallible, but which player isn't aside from Messi (half joking which is incredible in itself)?

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pure comedic gold. And I'm not even in favor of signing Walcott.

11. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I'll bite, Dante.
    What makes Theo Walcott better than David Suazo?
    I feel confident that your reason will boil down to "he played for a big team in the EPL and Arsene Wenger picked him so he must be great."
    And that stuff doesn't actually mean shit.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What part of "I'm not even in favor of signing Walcott" are you having trouble with?

Your assessment of Pepe is what I find entertaining.

13. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    We could sign him, keep him a year and sell him for €10m. Spend that money on bringing Borriello back.

14. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    haven't been around in awhile but been watching jvue of course, can't wait to find out who we have in the knockouts! cheers guys! :)

DaveyGorgeous repped this.
  15. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I actually could agree with the first sentence.
    Using the Juve name to lure in an overrated Bosman player and then selling them on sounds like great business. English players are the most overvalued in the world, so that would be a lucrative market. Even after wages, a tidy profit of a few million never hurts.
    As long as Walcott doesn't take the field, I'd be fine with it.
    And with Cole, Juve would actually get a fine player who could do a job now and then, one of the only world class English players of the past 10 years even if his best is behind him... an easy resale to some sucker club like QPR down the road.

16. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Celtic please...

17. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lampara Torino :D

http://www.lamparatorino.com

18. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isnt the draw today?

19. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The draw is Dec 20th.

20. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    cant wait for the draw.

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you're gonna have to wait, until Thursday.

1251alex repped this.
  23. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are u guys scared if we get madrid??

it will def be a battle of 2 of the best tacticians; conte and mourinho....it'll be interesting to see how mourinho will deal with it

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not... Last few times we met with Real we came out winners. I'd say this Real team is weaker than back then too.

25. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Real Madrid sucking hardcore to their standards in La Liga, you may have an easy time beating them unless they get their form sorted out