Official 2012/2013 Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Daei_10, Apr 26, 2012.

1. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Aguero is a world class forward who could actually be useful to this team. What I'm saying is that Walcott is a mediocre winger (a type of player that Conte hardly uses anymore) and always has been, and that he should thank his lucky stars to be playing for a club like Arsenal. They aren't comparable in any way. What Juve need in January is a finisher, not another Elia 2.o.

As far as picking and choosing, you constantly berate players like Matri and Vucinic for being mediocre, and yet you want us to sign Walcott, who has never done anything to justify the hype he's received throughout is career and who epitomizes the Premiership Media Complex. Why do you want to add more mediocrity to a squad that, according to you, is filled with mediocrity already?

1251alex repped this.
  2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    They are all mediocre. How long have I been stating such? The class that is world is very small.

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I would rather take a chance on someone who has shown extreme qualities and is 23 years old than a 29 year old who can't hit goal if his life depended on it. Matri is done. He might go somewhere and score some goals but for now he's lost all his confidence and it's not coming back. And Walcott is a better finisher than Vucinic and Matri combined. He don't miss many sitters. Those two do every game they play.

4. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Sorry but it's not long ago you said Matri was equal to Messi. You're excluded from discussing football until further notice.

5. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOooooLL

Goodnight ladies and Gentlemen

scirea6 repped this.
  6. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'll show you our little resident Iranian:

We have 27 players in our first team squad:

Buffon
    Storari average
    Branescu average
    Rubinho average
    Lucio average
    Chiellini
    Barzagli
    Bonucci
    De Ceglie average
    Caceres jury out
    Lichtsteiner
    Pogba
    Marchisio
    Pirlo
    Asamoah
    Vidal
    Marrone average
    Padion average
    Isla
    Pepe average
    Gianccherini average
    Vucinic average
    Giovinco
    Quagliarella
    Iaquinta average
    Bendtner average
    Matri average

That's 12 out of 27. Eh... about half.

7. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Take a chance? As if Walcott is some unknown quantity. And that would be 'quality' singular. The only useful thing about him would be his pace.

His decision-making, his tactical understanding, and general footballing intelligence is painfully average and that's on a good day. There comes a point where that can't be taught. Walcott might "only" be 23, but he's been in and around top flight football for years. He's reached that point. What good is his finishing if he doesn't know where to put himself? What good is he without the ball? He's shown time and again throughout his career that his decision making with it is rank. Llorente is the type of player we need in the immediacy, not a brainless winger with overrated technique like Walcott.

AmericanKaka repped this.
  8. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    This team would be worse than the one we have now. Sit Bonucci and Asamoah for Cole and Walcott on top of changing the system to accommodate them?! What is going on here! It is one thing to say that Juve have two support forwarders in a system that could use an out and out goal scorer. That I as well as the rest of the soccer world understands. It is another to try to revamp something that is working incredibly well for Walcott and Cole!

Juve's strength is not just the midfield. That defense is fantastic. Asamoah is just as important as Lich in that they both complete sets of five either in the middle or at the back at different points in the match.

Asamoah has been a revelation who is only 23! You want to play Cole over him?

What a weird set up this one was. Please take no offense to that. It seems that this is over complicating a situation that is quite simple resolve. Get a goal scorer and rotate Gio and Vucinic to play along side them.

juventino13 repped this.
  9. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005

Aside from Barca and Real, who are both incredibly deep, average players will make up the back half of many teams. When you have a strong 12-14, rotating an average player during league games doesn't reduce the quality dramatically as the rest of the starters can make that player better or cover for them.

You have either World Class or boarder line world class players on this team.
    Buffon, Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci, , Lichtsteiner , Marchisio, Pirlo, Asamoah, Vidal

Above average
    Isla, Giovinco, Quagliarella, Caceres, Pogba

10. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005

Forgot Vucinic who I do think is above average as well.

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I have no idea who you are confusing me with. You have been excluded from discussion since you claimed Felipe Melo as one of the top 5 in his position.

Daei_10 repped this.
  12. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Walcott has the speed our team is missing. He could make a difference in many situations if he's able to do what Conte wants.

13. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    And he could have babies if he were able to grow a womb.
    Both hypotheticals are equally likely.

juventino13 repped this.
  14. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Pepe is ten times the player Walcott is, by the way, and nearly as fast in actual "game speed" as opposed to some theoretical "pace".
    The "missing ingredient" of Juve right now is on the roster and unfortunately injured.
    The difficulty of replacing him is evidenced by the failures of Krasic and Elia... great example of guys with pace and skill who can't get the job done.
    Pepe has his famous fumbles now and again because he has technical limitations but he knows where to be and gets there alomst 100% of the time... this is probably epitomized by the tragic miss against Slovakia where he is poaching the back post perfectly but screws the half-volley wide.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Walcott has never, ever scored a goal off a set piece in his entire career.... or indeed, any goal that was not a breakaway against some primitive EPL flat-four defense.
    Serie A had a player just like him... remember David Suazo and what a long and distinguished career he had? Oh wait no, he was a flash in the pan at a provincial club. And Suazo actually was a better player than Walcott ever will be.

Daei_10 and 1251alex repped this.
  15. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Too bad duck is an electronic clock.

16. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Lay off the duck dude. He spends ALOT of his time in rooms full of smart people. ;)

phat and juventino13 repped this.
  17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Are you saying Melo was not one of the top five at his position when he was with Fiorentina?

18. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    LOL what you don't know could fill a book.

19. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Walcott is okay, but why bring in a player that Conte will not use. What will Walcott give you that Krasic didn't.

Regarding Cole, I don't think that would be a bad fit. I question whether he would come to Italy at this point. That said, it would be nice to have a more natural left wing back/MF than Asamoah. I think Asamoah is an excellent player, but we forget he is being played out of position; so the only reason he starts is because De Ceglie and Giaccherini are average players.

The player that Duck mentioned that we should really try to bring in here is Balotelli. I don't think a loan move is outside the realm of reality given Mario's current situation.

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Walcott can play as a forward/striker.

21. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I'm not as unsold as the majority are here on Walcott; but I think we have a bigger need to address by investing on a truly top striker, rather than another above average player in Walcott.

22. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    As long as he's free I think it's worth the risk. I wouldn't pay the €20m he's valued at though. If he doesn't work out we can get €10+m for him easy.

23. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Only in your mind.

24. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He had the highest rating among midfielders in Gazzetta. I'll agree with them over someone who didn't even watch him play.

25. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    As if they know what they are saying. He had a decent season with Fiorentina, who did nothing, and you, Secco and La Gazzetta made him to be world class. He is a player who runs around without any sense of positioning or tactics. He was the reason why our defense was so porous during his stint. Did we even sell him yet?