Official 2011 Nadeshiko Japan Thread [R] - part I

Discussion in 'Japan' started by mumf, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    Part One
    Part Two

All good things come in threes.

Oh and this post would also be a good place to thank Unepomme again for all his translation work which has been of invaluable help. It just can't be emphasized enough. Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  2. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Re: Official 2011 Japanese WOMEN'S NT Thread [R]

Absolutely.

I just watched a replay of today's full game Potsdam v Duisburg here ....

Surprisingly, both Nagasato and Ando started .... do the coaches consider them defensive players ? This was a hugely critical game for both teams, perhaps the best two in the EU, perhaps the world.

Certainly neither played CF. Actually they appeared to have identical roles - "utility" players rushing down the wings, defending and attacking. But neither are "play-makers" in the European sense, or even the way Sawa and Miyama are. In a way, they are still playing Japanese football, immeidately intending to pass the ball, rather than turn the other team around. Of the two, in fact Ando is slightly more adventurous.

Nagasato played about 55 minutes (the home fans treat substitutions very well), and Ando played about 65 minutes, very good for her as she is perhaps the oldest player on the field. This was a very tight game, in fact a great game to watch, with few chances on goal, and the two Nadeshiko had almost zero chances. They might as well have been left on the pitch for the full 90 minutes, as they are fit enough, and their replacements did nothing much. With only a few minutes left, Potsdam won with a single goal after a goalmouth collision.

At the very end of the video, after the interviews (in fact at -1:00 on the video counter), there is a great "cameo" where Nagasato and Ando meet and chat for most of a minute. A "must see".

3. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle

Thanks for the tip, I watched the game live but turned it off once both of them had been substituted out, so I missed that part.
    I agree with your observance of their playing styles, in fact Ando would have had a good chance for a shot on goal had she not been taken down by a defender. Grings then put the FK wide...
    Nagasato nearly had a good chance as well but it took her a too long to get the ball down, surely the field conditions played a part in that.

I'm sure that some of the players are older than Ando though, she's only 28 or so.

4. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Yes, but not many, I suspect Bresonik, Grings and Femke Maes.

Actually on Ando's blog it was she played 72 minutes and was the 3rd substitute for Duisburg. Yuki played 59 minutes, but of course Potsdam has 7 of Germany's international squad, plus several other internationals too.

And Yuki appears in this new Potsdam video - looking a bit camera-shy but she is daring with those torn jeans :eek: Look at the hand-writing though, perhaps that comes from Japanese script, it is exquisite by western standards. Also you can hear she is making plans for when her career will end..... that's womens' soccer.....

5. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle

For heaven's sake, someone needs to tell her the dirty truth about the German language, which is that it SUCKS. How come she hasn't noticed this by now? :confused:

I didn't know California was that close to Utah.

6. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Well I studied the video again....but no, sorry, I totally do not understand.

But, I never thought it before, but in the video, would you agree, she does look so....... ikemen ?

7. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle

If I were you I'd be very careful with calling a girl ikemen. So I'm very careful with agreeing with you there.

Edit: I find her latest blog posts rather disturbing...
    "The mind itself is the body, and the body itself is the mind."
    "The eye itself is blind, the ear itself is deaf. It is the mind that sees, it is the mind that hears."
    Are they reading philosophy papers from 200 years ago in German class or what?

8. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Well I meant ikemen in the sense that we used it here - cool/cute AND plays football......

I do agree, her blog harps on the same themes and it makes her seem rather morose or insecure. If you suddenly dumped me in Tokyo for a year and told me to learn Japanese, I would probably feel the same.

News tonight - not good for Kozue, Duisburg out of the German Cup

This entry has nice photos pf Saturday's game.

9. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle

And by "we" you meant "I". :D
    Seriously though, I think you need a new word for that. I cringe in horror at the thought of calling Naoko Wada an ikemen - I think I'd rather commit seppuku.
    What's wrong with bishoujo and bijo? Although I wouldn't call Yuki either of those...
    Perhaps saijo? Although it doesn't seem to convey anything regarding appearance. Ask Unepomme. :)

And yeah, it's a shame about Duisburg. I'm sure you noticed how in the last three games (Frankfurt, Potsdam, Bayern) Ando never played the full 90 minutes, and Duisburg scored goals only when she was playing and received goals only when she wasn't.

10. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Well that's remarkable about Duisburg, and perhaps that angry woman coach will take notice that Ando can do 90 minutes..... eventually.

This Wada thing is getting serious... :eek: ... I guess no chance you are going to take the train to Potsdam anytime soon then...:cool:..... yeah, I am bad today.

Well here then is someone that everyone here can call ikemen. It is Saki Kumagai ....... and even though she is beautiful, she also has this "Mick Jagger" mouth -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> ikemen !

Actually surely she is the most vocal of the Nadeshiko, she always seems to be marshalling the DFs (and Iwashi does not ? have not seen that), or maybe she just screams at everybody (even from the sub's bench - you never see that in women's soccer, except from the coach) ..... she definitely seems to want to, and to intend to, win. An intense and a great player, I hope she can get even better.

Strange how the video shows her WORST moments from the u-20 WC. I somehow hope she is not aware that this is on YouTube.

11. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle

We'll see about that.

Again with the "everyone"! I think you're confusing "everyone" with "everyone except everyone who's not me". :p
    You do realize the the -men from "ikemen" comes from the English word man (or pl. men), and that an ikemen is a "cool guy", right? Just checking...

I think Saki Kumagai looks similar to Ando; would you call her an ikemen? I hope not...

The most vocal Nadeshiko is definitely Miho Fukumoto, in good goalkeeper tradition.

By the way, the guy who shot the videos of the Belle day match told me that the #23 (you know, "I thought that was someone's child out there..." :D) is called Iso Kane (磯加奈江). Apperently she played side back (#13) since the formation of Belle until 2003, so she's probably a bit older than what we estimated. I haven't been able to find out anything else alas; unlike most other players she doesn't even have her own wiki page.

12. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

You are right and wrong.
    Men (面) comes from a face or more precisely a facial mask, but surely ikemen is a cool guy.

Maybe they called Naomoto ikemen as a last resort.
    I think they were confused because she had a very good facial features but currently it didn't seem that she always looked cute or feminine so that they could call her "bishojo", so they picked up only her facial elements.

It's an exceptionaly usage, so I don't recommend you often use it.

By the way, as you say "saijo" means just an intelligent woman regardless of woman's beauty.

13. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

Sorry, I might've made a mistake.
    Some says that men comes from English word "men".
    So both seem to be right.

14. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle

Thanks for the explanation. I read that there was currently some dispute about the origin of the men in ikemen and since ikemen is a new word that seems to be usually written in katakana (is that correct?) I thought of the English origin to be of higher possibility. However if a Nihonjin tells me otherwise I'm certainly going with that.

Also I thought saijo meant a talented/skilled woman in general rather than an intelligent woman, so thanks for clearing that up too. God are these dictionaries misleading...

Edit: I just saw your second post, and honestly I don't think it really matters where it actually comes from, as long as the meaning is clear. Clear to Mumfred, that is. :D

15. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

I think there is room for a talented/skilled woman because words are always moving, but in the first place it reminds you of someone like Murasaki Shikibu or Seisho Nagon.

As for ikemen, you mostly write it イケメン as you say.

16. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Let us know if you find out anything about other Belle players :cool:

Yes sure I know ikemen means cool guy, but I understand the irony used in Nakada's case.

You cannot compare Kumugai to Ando, one is all heart and fight, the other is all technique and poise. Actually I think they are both full of brains too. But very different people. I hope we see a better Kumugai at the WC, or even in Portugal (just 3 weeks away now !), because she can improve.

Actually, from a blog, here is something new in a language that you are the expert on !

17. kyra34

kyra34 Member

Dec 11, 2010
    France
    Club:
    Montpellier HSC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

For information "belle" mean "cute "in French,i don't know if they used French meaning for the name but actually i can see many French words in Japanese languages...
    Maybe someone watch One Piece and can remember the 4th opening "Bon Voyage" (have a good travel).

Thanks for all information about Potsdam,i want try to move for Juvisy/Potsdam game in Champion's league soon.

About Ikemen if you want i can try with Utsugi,if she kick me it's will mean it's not good to use lol.

Kumagai look cute i like her face ^^

About Utsugi news,since she came back all is ok for her but she didn't play last game at Le Mans where MHSC won 5-0 but was on the bench (i think this time coach of Montpellier was a little afraid cos she used her when she was not totally ok last time and after that she missed somes training).
    Tomorrow at 18:00 we will play a home game agains't Saint-Brieuc,one player of the team (Beaude) will take me in her car to go stadium with Delie & Utsugi.
    See you for the report.

ps: if someone is interest to make a video fan message for Utsugi you can send me your videos and i will give to her in a dvd.
    I think she will happy to listen your cheers !

18. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Amazing !!!!!! :cool:

But the girls will not be able to talk about their usual topics..... lol. And they dont even have a bus to get there, and need private cars.

I cant even make a video..... what I will do is, next time I go card-shopping, if I find one with a really good football theme, then I will send it to you. Did you say her English is better than her French ? I could actually write it in French at a simplistic level.

19. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle

You mean Naomoto, right? As I see it, calling a girl an ikemen is pretty much the same as saying "you look decent, but not like a girl at all". If I were a girl, I would definitely not want to hear that.

Well I was talking about looks, not playing style or personality.

Google actually does a pretty decent job translating German to English, and I assume to French as well, so I'll only translate the few bits which aren't clear from the translation:

- Due to German food being rich in calories, she says she has to watch her weight and often cooks Japanese food for herself.

- "Is women's football in Japan of similar interest to the public as in Germany?" (The answer is translated correctly, except for that the first word should be a "no" and not a "yes", how the hell did Google manage to get that wrong?)

- "Is coach Bernd Schröder strict?" - "No, he's like coaches in Japan." (Again with the yes/no problem... although I had the impression of Japanese coaches as being strict.)

- "Have you never been homesick?" - "No, never." (And again!)

It's definitely the French word, yes, although I would translate it as "beautiful" rather than cute - it's the feminine form of "beau", right? I think the "Yunogo" comes from a nearby onsen (probably sponsored), so "Belle" seems rather straightforward.

There are actually a lot of Japanese women's football clubs with western names; off the top of my head I can think of Beleza (port. "beauty"), Carezza (it. "caress"), Brilhantes (port. "brilliants"), Leonessa (it. "lioness"), Anclas (esp. "anchors), Speranza (it. "hope"), Aguilas (esp. "eagles") and of course the Red Diamonds and the former Perule/Pearl.

By the way, can you give a few examples of French words in the Japanese language? I know that there are lots of English words and to some lesser extent Portuguese and Dutch words, but French words is news to me. Please enlighten me.

You're very brave.

I don't speak any French (except for "voulez vous...") and I wouldn't know what to say anyway, sorry. I mean, I always think I should leave a comment on Yuki's German blog, but I never know what to write, and German is my freaking native language.
    By the way, I would be happy to translate should one of you guys want to write her something in German. I don't think it's good she gets so few comments.

20. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Of course, Naomoto not Nakada nor Nakata (its not easy....).

Only a few hours ago I was talking to someone who has been to Japan and he thinks (as do I) that it is bizarre that the #1 sport (baseball) is a total USA import. Sure it is huge in the USA too, but it is slightly declining as far as I can see. Perhaps the recent Japanese success in the Asian Cup - and the World Cup - must boost help soccer. Of course the Nadeshiko had better help themselves this summer :eek:

I may think of comething to write to Yuki.

From another board, in case you forget:

The next two games on German TV ->

Saturday 12 February, 2pm CET: Duisburg - Bad Neuenahr
    Tuesday 15 February, 2pm CET: Bad Neuenahr - Potsdam

I will likely see only tomorrow's game.

21. kyra34

kyra34 Member

Dec 11, 2010
    France
    Club:
    Montpellier HSC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

She is better with English so why both of you want try in French?
    Record/write something in Japanese or English and it's will be ok.

"Belle" is more "cute/cuty" because for "beautiful" we using more term like "magnifique".
    But French language is very rich so we can use too term like "mignon" near with Japanese term "kawaii/kakkoi".
    "Belle" is only for female at all,for a boy we using "beau".

I don't think many French words are in Japanese language like we can found with "camera" ,"sign" or "video" used everyday from English.
    I want mean in tv spots or songs :
    -Hikki song "boku wa kuma" she said "bonjour,comment ça va? Je m'appelle Kuma"="hello how are you?my name is Kuma".
    -Lapis Lazuli "Blue water blue sky" where we can found the sentence "bon voyage"="Good travel/have a good trip".
    -Luna See "Deja vu"="Already saw".
    -Rock band called L'arc en ciel "Rainbow".
    They like include French words also with brand (comme ça du mode) or shop (Laforet)...

About Yuki Nagasato,i allready wrote to her in English by my ameblog on her ameblog but i never receive answer.
    I told her i was French in Utsugi city interest by Japanese soccer and like a Beleza supporter i continue to support all ex-Beleza players out of Japan.
    I asked her too to wrote a message in English on her blog for all her fans but she never does it too.
    Anyway i hope Utsugi will can delivery my message to Nagasato when they will go at Portugal together.
    I wrote sometime on Utsugi Megumi ameblog too,to comment her posts/pics or private message but too she never answer lol.

22. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

The players, especially the Bereza players who have won lots of titles, have had fans of all kinds for many years, and to have web fans muct mean almost nothing to them. Your trip today is much more interesting !

This looks interesting, although maybe not.... it is Yuki's latest on her blog - first there are 2 entries, 1 describing Turbine players Oderbrecht's birthday party - and Yuki has some strange-sounding lines about smiling and communication and so on...... is it because she is so much older (28) than her, that they have less in common ? UnePomme ? And why does she mention Yamaguchi here ?

In the more recent entry she seems to cite a poem - and then writes her own wisdom:

過去から今の自分への最高のメッセージ. Best of my message today from the past.
    今の自分の心に、ずっしりと、ストレートに入ってきた。​
    Your heart now, and heavily, came into the straight.
    4年前と、感じ方が変わっている。​
    Four years ago, that perception has changed.
    この言葉に、ここまで反応することは、4年前にはできなかった。​
    These words can respond to this, four years ago could not.
    過去から学び、未来に繋げるために、今に生かす。​
    Learn from yesterday, in order to connect to the future and capitalize on it.

Well it sounds profound in google-translate ... maybe its crap, I dont know...

Also, she links with Mami, who is suddenly blogging after so long.

23. kyra34

kyra34 Member

Dec 11, 2010
    France
    Club:
    Montpellier HSC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Today MHSC won 5-0 at home vs Saint-Brieuc.
    Utsugi Rumi was in starting eleven but was sub around 70'.
    she made a nice game and i made a long video focus on her during game ^^.

If someone want know why i support Beleza in Japan it's because i am a big fan of Kazu and his era with Yomiuri Kawasaki/Tokyo Verdy so when i started to look Women soccer Beleza was my first team.
    Here my collection of Kazu uniforms:

24. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle

Wow I didn't know she speaks English. Still, all I can think of is gambatte. I'm not good with this kinda thing... :(

I don't know... Yuki's German blog is almost completely devoid of comments, I think she only keeps it up as a language exercise. Still I think it would be nice for her to receive some feedback.

I was actually quite an enemy of Beleza until a few weeks ago when the internationals left. I guess it was just the natural rivalry for a Belle fan. And if you want to know why I support Belle... well that's because of the jersey colors and Miho Fukumoto. :D

By the way, Mumfred and Unepomme, do you use Facebook too?

25. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

When she joined the club, she felt her the most difficult person to approach.
    After a long time from then, she was able to communicate with her at last through Mami's subject because Oderbrecht had played with Mami in Florida.
    She noticed that her first image of Oderbrecht was completely different from her true color.

She reacknowledged the importance of communication, and it needed smile, as well as words and playing attitude.
    Not artificial, but natural smile could make people be around you.