Official 2011 Nadeshiko Japan Thread [R] - part I

Discussion in 'Japan' started by mumf, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
  2. kyra34

kyra34 Member

Dec 11, 2010
    France
    Club:
    Montpellier HSC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Official Japanese WOMEN'S NT Thread [R] - part II

I think Ikemen is only for men and persons like models.
    Ikemen are in dramas .

3. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

Mumf referred to ikemen here because we had talked about it before.
    It began when I introduced the fact that many Japanese fans called Naomoto ikemen during the U-17 WC.

http://www.jfa.or.jp/national_team/topics/2009/402/naomotohikaru.jpg

http://commons.jfa.or.jp/?action=common_download_main&upload_id=1168

It's a little bit tricky to call a woman ikemen because it can cause insult; in the case of Naomoto it's barely OK because she doesn't look manly at all.

That team consisted of many attractive girls.
    Mumf's favorite is Yoko Tanaka as you know, and AndG's one is Naoko Wada.

Personally, I vote Yume Nagasawa for the cutiest.

http://commons.jfa.or.jp/?action=common_download_main&upload_id=1158

4. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

I was sure that must be a tricky one, because I thought ikemen was only for men. I only heard it used for boys when I was in schools.

5. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

I think in this case, they called her ikemen, focusing on only her face's features regardless of sex when they saw her face's closeup at the PK against Ireland.

So it should not be generalized.
    If I gave the impression that it is prevaling in Japan, it was my mistake.
    I had no such an intention.

6. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle

Damn this sucks, especially Natsu - she was one of my favourite players. I read about Ayako Tsuboi (#23) a while ago, but I didn't know she was considered the club clown. I think she was the third-choice right back after Kumiko Yasuda and Natsu, so she probably wasn't a very crucial member. And ever since Aya has returned Nozomi Matsuda probably hasn't seen too much playing time either. I think Belle is still oversaturated with forwards and attacking mids, maybe some of them will leave soon as well.
    And if I interpret the resigning notices correctly, none of the players move to another club; it seems that they're just quitting soccer altogether. I find that very sad...

I think the word Mumfred is looking for is "bishoujo". At least that's what I would call Naoko Wada.
    By the way, what would one call Kozue Ando and Homare Sawa? They certainly don't fit the bishoujo image.

And man, now I wish I had a facemaker program for my PES5 Nadeshiko and Belle...

7. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

In the case of Tanaka, it was just as much her "looks" as her "outlook" as I explained here - or at least, how it seemed to me, while the rest of the team looks so nervous, she seems so confident. And remember I awarded her a "World Cur Record" - first to score 4 goals in a WC from outside the box, with the added touch of 2 on each foot.

What did you think of my light-house videos ? Too off-topic ?

And a big question - is there anything in the media that suggests that Kumi Yokayama was in Geneva for the FIFA gala on Monday ? The goal that won the Puskas award was a single "kick" in an irrelevant game :(

8. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Now, that's ikemen ! :cool:

The other girl seems to be Mai Nakachi, who recently "retired" ?

Perhaps the reality of N-League life is very different from the great skill, goals and smiling faces.

The last two minutes are the best, amazing skill at 9:00 ! It seems she wasnt actually in the game, right ? And I think there are are some men playing too. I see also she is left-footed.

9. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

It's too dramatic for AKB48 because their sales point is that they are ordinary girls.
    So the background music for your second video sounds very suitable.

10. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

As for KOzue, bijyo sounds relatively OK for me, and as for Sawa, I should shut my mouth, because I could cause a big trouble...
    But if you insist you badly want to know, they, not I, often call her "tayoreru aniki".

And when it comes to bishoujo, I think Ayu Nakada is the most represents the image of the word.

11. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

No, nothing.
    Some article says that a Turkey player won it.
    But I think it's natural; women soccer's popularity is not yet so big and she is still a junior.
    Kumi must have a bright future ahead.

12. kyra34

kyra34 Member

Dec 11, 2010
    France
    Club:
    Montpellier HSC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Mumf,yes she is left foot and you can confirm by this she improved her skill since "Megumi & Rumi juggle video".
    She was in the game to be right,it's was only a exercice with 6 additionnal players around the pitch to help the team to play around the side,they assist other players by one touch pass or long balls.
    One men from staff helped for egual member in each team,nothing more.
    This time they used many youngs players from U-19 team (somes girls are only 16).

13. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle

Aniki as in Yakuza speech? What does tayoreru mean and why would that cause trouble? And by bijyo are you referring to 美女, which I would transcribe as bijo? Is there an age treshold between bishoujo and bijo/bijyo or can someone be both?
    Please excuse my genuine interest in Japanese... er, culture (and also girls). :D

Kyra, on which positions does Rumi play for Montpellier, and do you know on which other positions she is able to play? As far as I know she has played as centre back, defensive midfileder, central midfielder and attacking midfielder. Does she also play on the sides, and if so on which side (probably left)?

14. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Sorry I meant the #21, Hiroko Ikeda, she was always laughing in this year's videos, but I never saw her play once. Now she too is gone, and like the others, probably left football. I agree that Miyama cost one or two them a place, as I bet she gets a pro contract, however modest.

If only Japan had won that bronze at the Olympics !

Wonder what does PESS mean (a safer question than others flying around !).

15. kyra34

kyra34 Member

Dec 11, 2010
    France
    Club:
    Montpellier HSC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

And G,Rumi is always used like central defensive middlefield,same position we can see Hasebe.
    She can play side back (left side) and side middlefield too (left side).
    She participe defense/attack maybe with 50% of each and i am sure she can play like OMF but we already have nice players for this position.

PESS is PES5 Konami famous video game on PS2 called winning eleven in Japan.
    And G do you have somes screen of your game? I am interest because i made a J-league patch for PES 2009 & 2010

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRYr3nlwuDA"]YouTube - Trailer PES09 [NG] JLEAGUE PATCH 2008-09[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f6iinn8S_4"]YouTube - N-G J-League patch 2010/11[/ame]

16. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

I went to Nautsuko Iseki's blog, for perhaps the last time, to see if she had published my regrets that she resigned.

She did that, but if my google-translate of the last (10th) comment on the page is not misleading, then it seems that coach Honda of Belle has also resigned :eek: :confused:

17. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

Ani is a big brother.
    Sometimes you can call him aniki, which includes various kinds of emotions.
    If you introduce him to another person, politely you say, "this is my ani", but to your friend you might say, "this is my aniki."
    Some call it ani, and some call it aniki, which depends on the person's nature or it can be his intentional choice.

If you are a man, get to know another non-relative man and respect him, you may call him aniki in a friendly way, which indicates some kind of tacit hierarchy.
    It is often used in Yakuza speech as you say, but not limited to their world.

Tayoreru means "you can count on."

As for bijyo, you are right.
    I should write it bijo (美女).
    Bijo is an adult, while bishoujo is a teenager.
    If I'm forced to make an age threshold, it's maybe twenty.

Somehow I feel there are some kind of differences between the two, not only the age difference, but I'm not sure.
    I feel that a bishoujo is not always to be a bijo, but it might be only my prejudice.

18. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle

Thanks for the explanation. I knew that aniki means big brother in general, but since I found that a very strange title for a female soccer player I thought it referred more to the Yakuza meaning, a mixture of "mentor", "boss" and "senior"... or at least that's what I think this title connotes in Yakuza speech. So I guess calling Sawa "tayoreru aniki" means just something like "older person to look up to and count on", which makes a lot of sense actually. A bit like just "veteran" in English.
    However I still don't see what troubles would come of that?

Now this is just my uneducated guess as a gaijin, but could it be that bishoujo implies some sort of "cuteness", while bijo has more emphasis on "mature beauty"? So when a bisjoujo is getting older she wouldn't automatically become a bijo unless she also gains maturity. And from what I know about Japanese culture there are a lot of women above 20 who try to be as cute as possible, sacrificing maturity along the way, who might not be called bijo if they're successful at that.

Judging by my little Japanese skills 新聞で本田監督の退任を知り says that Honda's resignation was published in the newspaper. I wonder why it wasn't published on the Belle homepage though...

Thanks for the information, very helpful. Could you also tell me what you think are her greatest strengths and weaknesses? You probably know why I'm asking... :D

I only have Yunogo Belle and the Nadeshiko as teams (including kits). I was thinking of also adding Beleza since I already have a lot of players from the Nadeshiko who play at Beleza, but since Beleza is not really Beleza anymore...
    I haven't made any screenshots yet, but if you're interested I could make some. It's not a new game anymore though, and I've only used the in-game face editor, so...

19. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

It's because you mustn't call a woman aniki, which is totally insulting.
    You should call her aneki.
    Of course it's another story whether Sawa does mind it or not.

20. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

Oh, thank you for your explanation.
    Your understanding of Japanese culture may be deeper than mine.

21. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Why do they do this ? Remember the video I posted recently, where she is interviewed ? I thought she looked really great, even beautiful. True, she never looks good when interviewed immediately after a game (but she would look better than me, at least she stands up !).

Now - that is a strange statement.

You know, I like coming here, compared to the other women's soccer pages on big soccer - where certain people with an "agenda" never stop with their innuendo..... AndG knows these pages well. To me, Sawa is the real hero of the Nadeshiko - for how long she has been their #1 player, how she seems to play above herself these past few years for them, and how many crucial goals she has scored. I hope she comes back to Washington next year, before the World Cup, for only one reason - I want to somehow make the 5-hour trip to a game, get her autograph and personally wish her success. I know its a selfish wish, but she is just the best, in a world that has minimal appreciation for her.

22. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

It seems that I made you misunderstand it again.
    My explanation is always short of something, sorry.

I said "insulting" from your point of you, not from them.
    So they say the phrase rather with admiration, not with bad intention.
    And it can convey the exact image of Sawa as AndG said.

If she heard this phrase, it's possible that she would love it with smile.

23. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

OK, I get it now. Actually it fits well, because she has delivered reliably so often. I hope she is in goal-scoring form (that means usually her headers) in the World Cup.

Well speaking of different, the truly different blog-writer if Nagasato - I can figure that one entry is about driving a car (with Iwashimizu in the back seat ?), but the others ? Hard to say if they are about pain or philosophy. Can you summarize the most interesting ?

24. unepomme

unepomme Member+

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

Her blog is somewhat too personal to grasp what she wants to say.
    I think more concrete examples could make it better and more reader-friendly.

Anyway, this is my translation:

Every phenomenon is a message for me.
    How do I take what happened?

Assuming that I had had an experience in the past and had the same kind now, I take it in a new way because it's not interesting to do in the same way.

It's one of my pleasures in my life.

Keeping on thinking, I have another new idea today again.

I feel I've heard the rhythm of this notion somewhere.
    Maybe it was in the Japanese textbook in elementary school.
    Umm...I can't remember.

25. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Thanks, I did not know if it was disappointment or insecurity or boredom. I looked at Twitter too and there she just posts junk !

I guess she will always leave out the details. We will have to send AndG to Berlin to really find out :cool:

Congrats to the men's team today, 4-0 up after 50 minutes ! Surprised that Kei Honda is on the bench, still remember his stuff against Denmark.