OFFICIAL 2011-12 Offseason Moves Thread *RUMORS+OFFICIAL*

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by AmericanKaka, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalBlue

CalBlue Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: 2011-12 Offseason Moves Thread

We have got to look to the future as well. I would bring in a few of the U18 kids. We have some of the best young player in the country and most of them are or have attracted interest from some of Europe's best.

Mario Rodriquez and Matthew Tilley have just had very successful time in Sweden. Tilley could be signed as a home grown. I think he is the best U18 defender. Mario, I think, is set to go to UCLA, if not we should sign. But I hear he wants to go to Europe. Mario has overseas interest but I am not sure who from.
    Tilley has attracted Tottenham (played against U18 Australian team as a 15 year old!!!), and according to the LAG web site, has had time at Birmingham City.

Villareal seems to want to go to Europe and has been in Germany. I am guessing that he will get some kind of offer, but I hear he really wants to go to Europe.

Sebastian Velasquez is a great player and could be signed as home grown. I am told he has been to Mexico in the passed but didn't like it there.

For me all of these four could sign and do a job for us and could play 1st team if needed. In a few years time we have our new stars. There are others but I think these kids are the best.

2. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's been confirmed that Bobby Convey will not be returning to SJ following a fall-out with Frank Yallop:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/24/san-jose-make-it-official-convey-will-not-return-12

I wouldn't mind having Convey on our team - he's peaking at 28, addresses a need (left winger), could probably be had for around or less than what Berhalter/Kiro (combined) were making, and would provide us with options down the left. He should also theoretically transition seamlessly into the Galaxy locker room, having been in the same class as Donovan at Bradenton and also having played under Bruce at the 2006 WC.

Considering his relationship with Quakes FO has gone to shit, I wouldn't be surprised if Yallop and Doyle were happy to get him off their hands for a discounted price. If Bruce can undo Frank's damage with the Galaxy, then surely he can bring the kind of quality out of Convey that won him the 2010 Comeback Player of the Year award.

Besides, it should be a no brainer offer to Convey: You can continue to slum it around MLS for a few years only to retire with nothing OR, you can take a pay cut to move down the coast and join the reigning champions as they prepare to compete in the Champion's League. Added perks include playing alongside Donovan, Robbie Keane, and possibly David Beckham. And who knows, more exposure and minutes on a winning side and you might just find yourself back in the national team picture with Klinni. If I were Convey I would jump at the chance :D.

4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I don't agree with this. Even with Barrett we have essentially no forward depth, especially considering that Keane will be missing time for the Euros. We need to be adding forwards, not cutting them. And Barrett, for all his donkeyness, scored at a decent 0.4 g/90min clip.

5. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Re: Galaxy interested in Didier Drogba

The TV deal with Time Warner might make this rumor stronger than usual. With the Galaxy obligated to have a minimum number of DP's at all times, it's likely Time Warner has a big say in what player will be coming over.

Since TW execs likely have only a limited knowledge of soccer players, Drogba is a very likely candidate, since he's probably someone they've heard of.

6. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

It's not that I don't like him, it's just that I'm not sure we can afford him. If we could find his way to cut his salary by about 100k that would make a lot of difference.

9. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA

TW might have stipulated that the Galaxy have 3 DP players, but I highly doubt they have a say in who we sign, nor do I think they would necessarily select Drogba for ratings purposes. If you really wanted someone to drive ratings, it would be Carlos Tevez right now. In reality, though, it's very difficult to get anyone with Beckham's star power off the field. Ronaldhino might have been somewhat close, but he's not really an option anymore. Galaxy probably need a "galaxy of stars" marketing approach to replace Beckham, which likely means using the Keane-Donovan-3rd DP sales pitch, plus perhaps getting a few other relatively well-known players to sign for non-DP money.

10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Good luck with that!

11. ChrisV323

ChrisV323 Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Keep the Rumors Coming, if anything i hear AC Milan are about to get Tevez, so what about a Ibrahimovic or Robinho here at Galaxy, or Drogba !!! i would die to have either of those players in a Galaxy jersey!!!

12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

Never going to happen for any of them expect maybe Drogba and that is one hell of a maybe. The other players are in the prime of their careers and I could potentially see Drogba here solely for a big payday but Drogba is still a quality player. Torres would have to regain form and Sturridge would have to continue scoring for Drogba to consider coming here. We should look more towards Anelka.

13. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, Zibra makes (untaxed) more then the whole squad, by some distance.

14. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nah, Drogba is pretty much confirmed that he is exiting and he is supposedly looking at MLS and LA.

Even though he is AMAZING having 2 Dps at forward is ridiculous. Who the hell is gonna serve them the ball!? We seriously need to buy a creative center mid as our DP.

Lastly I think Barrett needs to go. He isn't bad but for his salary he is no where near good enough, we are killing SO much money on him, how the hell did he even get this kind of contract!?

15. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

100% AGREE! If we can get Convey at a good/cheap price he would be perfect. We need wingers!!!!!!! And if Donovan is pushed up under Keane (which I argue is his best position) then we need a LM even more!

As for an earlier post about Gonzo, selling him should not even be thought about. Lets make a HARD run for the champions league title and a fifa club world cup and then we can discuss selling Gonzo, even more so we need to have a backup already in place.

Any word on Leonardo returning on loan? He was pretty fantastic the 2 games he played and that would allow us to push Franklin as a RM and DLG out wide.

16. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I still don't think Franklin has the tactical acumen or the handling/dribbling skills to be an effective right winger - every time he's played that position he's been "meh" imo, aside from the odd one or two assists.

If the rumors are true of the Galaxy pursuing Marcelo Sarvas and/or Carlos Hernandez, it may be a sign of what Bruce is planning for the future regardless of whether we get a 3rd DP or not:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Keane,Donovan,[Convey],Juninho,[Hernandez],[Sarvas],Dunivant,Leonardo,AJ,Franklin,Saunders/Ricketts[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

17. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county

To be fair Franklin has been moved all over the pitch, right-back, right-mid, center back, he hasn’t really had time to make the right-mid position his. That being said, there was a period of time, just before he went down injured when it seemed he got comfortable with the position and was tearing opposing teams apart.

18. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really? I'm gonna call bs on that one. The guy can't crack the lineup on one of the worst teams in the A-League but we are looking at him as a DP? Riiiiiiight.

As for Convey, thanks but no thanks. He will not be cheap. He completetl over values himself. No way he will take a pay cut and that doesn't bother me. He has proven himself to be a real PITA.

19. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California

I disagree and believe Dashiel has it right. In terms of assists he was tied for 4th on the Galaxy with 3 along with LD who got a lot more play at right mid, then SF. In terms of goals he was also 4th on the team with 4 goals (tied with Juninho among others.

However, the key is having a strong enough CB that the team can afford to move AJDLG to right back. IMO, he is a better right back in supporting the attack then SF is now.

20. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Convey is a terrible choice. He is a me first player who has a track record of being a locker room cancer wherever he is in MLS. Let's not forget that a big component of our turn around from laughing stock under Ruud to champions under Bruce is that Bruce was able to fix the locker room dynamic.

We have a very harmonious locker room and introducing a selfish player like Convey into that equation is playing with fire.

21. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm going to agree with this. I don't think Convey offers enough to overcome his drawbacks. You can only have so many egos in the locker room, and he's got a bit of a mouth on him. I'd only take him if he showed that he was willing to shut up and defer to the veterans on the team and do whatever it takes to help the team. I don't think he's shown he's there by any stretch.

22. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Drogba is one of the few players I dislike strongly enough that I would have really mixed feelings about him coming to the Galaxy. Fortunately, I think the chances are kinda low right now. He's going to want a ridiculous wage.

Just for kicks, here's a list of players I would really not want on the Galaxy:

1. Rafa Marquez
    2. Didier Drogba
    3. John Terry
    4. Michael Ballack
    5. Nigel De Jong

Funny how many of them have played for Chelsea. =) Guess that's my anti-Chelsea bias coming out. 10 years from now it'll probably be dominated by Man City players.

23. CalBlue

CalBlue Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I would have to agree on both points. We would be better off bringing through our homegrown than wasting money on those two.

24. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

a) This rumor has all the merit of a Congressional Budget Super Committee.

b) I find the Drogba hate fascinating.
    I can understand it -- especially when one thinks of the diving in years past (I think that's been curtailed; YMMV) or the hilarious "It's a disgrace" diatribe.

But I've always loved him. His love of the game always shined through all the rest for me. That's diminished in the last few years (as have all things Chelsea) but to me his joy of playing and scoring and winning seemed so genuine.

One moment has always stood out for me: I forget all the details, but it was a Chelsea / Liverpool match. There was a cross or a corner and a resulting scrum in the Liverpool goalmouth. Jaime Carragher pulled off some typically epic feat of defensive wonder and denied Drogba a clear goal.

Drogba was so simultaneously frustrated and impressed by Carragher that he grabbed him by the back of his shirt and kind of shook him up and down. Carragher stiffened at first in confusion and potential anger, but quickly realized what was happening and just waved it off.

It was amazing because:
    a) Were this done in anger or even mis-perceived by the ref it could have been a straight red.
    b) It was clear from Drogba's expression and reaction that he was doing it out of respect and even affection. The way players will often grab the shirt of a teammate who's just scored and shake the crap out them. It seemed a completely unconscious reaction in the spirit of the word 'game.'

You frequently see players shake the hand of a keeper who's just stopped them from scoring, or help each other up after an honest and hard tackle. But I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that.

I had already had that very impression of Drogba, but that moment sealed it.

Plus, there's this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJp23aqxpBA&list=FLvLaY4Br_N6FHdmBJuSyIYA&index=66&feature=plpp_video"]Didier Drogba Control v Stoke (1st goal). - YouTube[/ame]

I mean, come on. Trapping a cross-field pass in mid-air with your heel?
    That is effing ridonkulous.
    (The resulting cross for a goal is pure gravy).

25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Me too!