OFFICIAL 2011-12 Offseason Moves Thread *RUMORS+OFFICIAL*

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by AmericanKaka, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Re: 2011-12 Offseason Moves Thread

I haven’t paid much attention to him other than the occasional headline about home doing well in Mexico, but what about Herculez? He gets silly money in Mexico that we couldn’t match, but he also has to deal with a huge amount of churn and might be willing to take a pay cut to play at home and have a little less turmoil.

2. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles

I agree that this is a big offseason. Now a lot of the other stuff in this thread ... not so much.

Midfield is #1 priority:
    Need to play some hardball and sign Juninho, but TJ is right. We need to sign him MLS style - not break the bank. I think Sao Paulo doesn't have much leverage if his contract is nearly up. Especially if we are willing to consider having young Vitor Jr. return to Sao Paulo finish out his contract and then sign him mid-season. It hurts but it could work out longterm

If Becks stays then we should plan on seeing a lot more of Birchall and Stephens in 2012. If he's gone then we are going to have to do some big time DP shopping. Will it be help in the midfield?

Defense:
    Omar has 2 years left on his contract, I think. I hear a lot of talk about selling him, but I'm not so sure it's really worth it. Reality of MLS is that only a small portion of that transfer $ translates to salary we can use against the cap. Are you really going to be able to put another CB out there who works so well with AJ? I think for this franchise it might be worth more to have him than to get the cash. If he can crack the USMNT lineup in 2012 and start getting regular callups, then 1 more years at Galaxy with a nice league max salary could allow him a nice easy jump straight to England.

Forward:
    With our stud Keane and just enough help from Barrett or Cristman, we should be OK come playoffs, but what about Euro's? And what about the likely case where we lose Cardozo? Is Lopez going to come through? I think Bruce needs a little more managerial magic here to come up with a reasonable priced solution to upgrade or supplement our attacking core.

3. Grillinnap

Grillinnap Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Downtown Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. NNE20

NNE20 New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was just thinking about that. However, do we really want to use an international player spot on a longer-term project? Plus, I say he isn't much better than some of our academy stars.

6. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. I'd rather sign the Englishman we have in our academy (Tilley).

7. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Galaxy interested in Didier Drogba

Let me be the first to call bullsh**.

8. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think he is currently better than a quite a few of our youngsters. He has scored some lovely goals in the preseason and got a nice one during the Open Cup as well. Of course Hans's stupid habit of never using subs allowed the kid to get no real playing time with the first team. What a sad waste of a draft pick. Since he was waived would we essentially get him for free (or at the very least dirt cheap) if we snagged him up? It might be worth it. Especially if we are willing to send Miguel Lopez or Leonardo away.

9. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let me be the first to say that I'm interested in meeting Monica Bellucci, sharing a good bottle of wine, long walks on the beach, staring at sunsets and filthy, filthy rumpy-pumpy.

10. Plainsburner

Plainsburner Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've learned to avoid listening to media speculation, especially when it comes to the UK. Its like they take facts, then surround them with all sorts of speculation. Then throw a dart at it to decide which speculation they will print.

11. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is surprisingly a very crucial question. Because it does indeed dictate who you need to go out and get.

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everything he has personally said indicates that he will not be signing a contract with us. No matter what money we offer. Kid wants to play in Europe. If that's the case, we should be selling.

And I believe this year is his last year.

13. Jones71

Jones71 New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Some thoughts on the off-season:

1. David Beckham will sign with PSG for at least 18 months (play in the Olympics, probably win Ligue 1 and then likely return in July 2013 for his true swan song). His Designated Player slot will be used on a forward - either Didier Drogba or Nicolas Anelka; thus keeping Landon Donovan in midfield.

2. If I were Omar Gonzalez, I would turn in a transfer request right after the Asian tour. He has nothing left to prove in MLS and really needs his next challenge. Replacing him, no matter how much money is received in his transfer will be no easy feat. Or perhaps, they'll just put Sean Franklin back in as a center back since he proved he's not really a wide midfielder.

3. Juninho is also likely gone, but I think more easily replaced than Beckham or Gonzalez. A good scouting trip to Argentina might do the trick. I would like to see a bigger more physical presence as 19's replacement, should he actually need replacing.

4. Is Bruce Arena even going to return? After very arguably the greatest season in MLS history, anything else will be a step down or going backwards. If there was ever a time for Arena to take up the challenge in Europe or Mexico, this is that time.

5. I am convinced that Landon Donovan has lost a step (or two) and can no longer rely on his once electrifying pace and rapid acceleration to get past defenders in the final third - going into 2012 and beyond, I am interested to see if Landon can develop into a a true playmking midfielder as he ages?

6. A true right-sided midfielder is essential as that was on the one "weakness" of this squad. I personally don't see Cardozo as that players; he's just too small to play in such a physical league. Perhaps while the scouts are in South America, they can find someone to play this position as well (that also weighs more than 140 lbs).

14. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles

I don't believe any amount of transfer money will replace Omar. It just doesn't work that way under MLS transfer money and salary rules. The product on the field will be better if we let him play out his contract and then go to Europe. Think of it this way. Better to have Omar for 2012 and then he walks and you bring in a new CB in 2013 than to unload him now. Yes new CB you bring in could be better with extra allocation money, but not enough $ to guarantee he'd be better than say a healthy Leonardo.

15. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

God I hope not I do not want any chelsea surplus!!! :mad:

Now before all you stamford bridge faithful get fkn chippy,

I'm kidding! If and when we do get an interest from a hard working world class player from overseas then I welcome them as long as they bust their hump and show the dedication that was on display sunday nov. 20th 2011!:D

16. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Noticed that Toronto released Kyle davies, the kid we traded for Dasan Robinson...

17. ChrisV323

ChrisV323 Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I say we trade Ricketts and Cristman or Barrett to Ny or Montreal for justin Braun or juan Agudelo!!!

18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

Once a player enters the final year of the contract, the club no longer has any say in the potential transfer of a player. That power then goes to MLS, who will undoubtedly want to make money off Omar.

In a transfer of a Generation Adidas player like Omar who has played for at least 3 years, the club receives 2/3 and MLS 1/3 of the fee. A club can use up to $625,000 of their portion of the transfer fee as allocation money, plus Omar's salary no longer on the books.

19. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Preferably one that doesn't make us wait 5 years before he shows it.

20. rm1r0

rm1r0 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

@ielag: What's your source for your first paragraph?

You know what's funny? Everyone is talking about bringing in players. What about the players we actually do have in our academy? There's something there to work with. Mario Rodriguez and Matt Tilley were/are at Hammarby for trials or training stints so that should count for something. Obiously, not starters, but I'm just speaking generally about offseason moves.

21. css71588

css71588 Member

Apr 20, 2009
    perris ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

new on Juninho and Franklin

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/soccer/post/_/id/12673/galaxy-juninhos-return-is-a-priority

Juninho, 22, has spent the past two season in L.A. on loan from the Paulista powerhouse, and he said his contract with the club runs out in about six months

“The club in Brazil definitely wants something in return,” Juninho said through a translator Wednesday at Home Depot Center following the Galaxy's final domestic training session of the year. “And they have other offers and options.”

22. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have a thread for all Transfer Rumors...Use it.

23. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to Goff this morning, Omar has two years left on his contract. If that is the case, there is no hurry to let him leave unless the offer is too good to pass up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ons/2011/11/23/gIQAhiysoN_blog.html#pagebreak

*Omar Gonzalez, the American center back who was MLS’s defender of the year and helped the Galaxy win the league title, is attracting interest in France and Germany, Yorks said. An English club is also eyeing him, but a work permit wouldn’t be possible because of his lack of U.S. national team experience. Gonzalez has two years remaining on his Galaxy contract, according to Yorks, and would command a respectable transfer fee for the Galaxy.

24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

Can we just delete any rumor that is started by the mirror? The mirror makes up so much crap.

25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

It sounds like they are willing to sell juninho so we should be buying. We need juninho and he has definitely become a fan favorite. I hope we can give me a 3-4 year deal. Remember he is still young and learning the American game and finding his own games. Juninho can become a good CM.