OFFICIAL 2011-12 Offseason Moves Thread *RUMORS+OFFICIAL*

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by AmericanKaka, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drogba is my vote

hav77 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  2. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Nesta signing in Montreal as a non-DP anything can happen.

3. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Seriously, Drogba would be unstoppable...

4. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    One immediate question is whether Wilhelmsson stays on the team. According to reports when he was signed, it was only a 6 month contract with a team option for three more years:

http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/post/2012/09/03/report-wilhelmsson-signs-galaxy

My guess is it would be tough for the Galaxy to justify picking up a three year option on a 32 year-old player who, while useful, didn't exactly dominate. Even if those three years weren't guaranteed, his price probably is a bit high for the budget.

Berks repped this.
  5. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minimum requirement should be a player who can make a 6yd pass.:p

He looks good at times but others looks completely out of sorts.

The Beautiful Gamer, Berks and ragbone repped this.
  6. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Wilhelmsson was utterly horrible yesterday. Even my sister, who doesn't really know much about soccer, thought he was the worst player in the field for the Galaxy.
    I still think he may need time to adjust to the league and jell with the team.
    If those contract terms are true, I wouldn't want to sign him for 3 years. It takes up an international roster spot and I just think it's too long.
    I'd want to sign him to a 2 year contract, with a team option for a third (if he still looks young and healthy after the 2nd year).

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little torn on Wilhelmsson. He puts in a fantastic effort on the field - his runs were as good as Keane's or anyone's. He's also quite skilled on the dribble and with his first touch. He has a little bit of an athletic deficit, though, and is knocked down easily, and as everyone has noted, his decision-making with the ball and passing could use some work. I would be inclined to hang onto him as I think those problems will improve, but I trust Bruce will make the right decision based on the price involved and the rest of the roster. He's certainly not irreplaceable.

If we keep Omar for another year, I would be in favor of AJ at right back, move Franklin up to right mid again, and Meyer at center back. Gaul and Dunivant could duke it out for the left back starting role. I think Franklin is better than Willie.

juniorLA and shelbo repped this.
  8. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, contracts are not guaranteed. After one full season, if he's not right for the team then we can release him. However if he's an All-star next then we don't have to pay more for him. Eight games plus the playoffs with no pre-season is not enough time to make a full assessment.

klpv82 repped this.
  9. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go re-watch the 8/5 Seattle game. Franklin is no RM.

juniorLA, phoenixhazard and Berks repped this.
  10. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  11. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I thought Olave stayed. him being a great center back and All.

12. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks but I've seen probably every game he's played for the Galaxy, and rewatching the game wouldn't change my opinion. I respect that yours is different, though.

13. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Tough to tell exactly what the Galaxy need (with lots of players with the possibility of moving). Front to back we need to figure out if we're going to have LD, Juninho, and Omar. But on the topic of Wilhelmsson, I think he is worth hanging on to, although I'm not sure about 3 years at his age. I'd love to have him for next year. At MLS Cup held the ball too long and twice turned the ball over at crucial times during an attack. He does seem to go down easily. However, I'd point this out. This was only I think something like his fourth competitive match with LD and Keane. A lot of that indecision comes from unfamiliarity. He's probably not 90 minutes at match speed fit yet. And I think it's easy to forget that it's his true wide presence - skill on the ball, deft touch, and good runs and good speed that are creating quite a few flowing attacking opportunities. Also, although it seems he gets knocked down a lot, I think he's mostly knocked down when he wants to be - i.e. he has position and the ball and he's looking for a call to either create space for himself in the midfield or setup a free kick (e.g. Beckham's only free kick of the first half). He's starting to figure out MLS referees and has been playing much more physical. I think he'll adapt just fine to the physical aspect of the league. I think the real challenge for him will be staying healthy in this league with the way refereeing is. He likely to take a lock of shots in the midfield when he beats people and isn't going to heal like he did in his twenties. But I'd take him non-DP for 1 more year for sure. Also he tracks back defensively a lot better than one Mr. Magee.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been a great player but he is a little old and busted now unfortunately. RSL though has quality replacement in Chris Schuler for 2013. RSL lost the CCL allocation and was over budget hence all the moves this coming week.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  15. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. To me it seems more of a budget move. Schuler being the best they can do while staying in budget. As for NY it looks like they want to shore up the defense. When they got Conde he shored up their D and they started winning. I believe the best move RBNY can do is drop Marquez. He is not worth the money he is being paid. BTW is conde already of the New York Roster. Would not mind picking him up for a couple of our other defenders like Lopes and Gaul. Or if Omar gets the jump to the pond we all know he deserves. I am assuming because becks played many people in Europe saw Gonzalez Dominate the Air game in a final.

16. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high