Official 2009-2010 Des Moines MENACE Post-Season Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Buzz Killington, Aug 13, 2009.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Re: Official 2009 Des Moines MENACE Post-Season Thread

Let me put it this way... even I, as innocent and plain as I am, know that there is a herbal expert in the area at Forest and 5th. I also know there are two other sellers of various "goods" in the area. In the evening, if the man hasn't scooped them all up, don't forget to say hello to the members of the female entrepreneurs club. I'd avoid wearing red and blue bandannas.

2. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hate to burst your bubble, but the Energy & I-Cubs are pro teams. They are minor league. As a USL-1 team would be viewed...
    Keeping pro teams is a bigger issues (Chops)

3. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know that but I guess I was refering to a professional team that wasn't affiliated with a major league team:
    Energy: Bulls & Heat (Lead the league in revenue)
    ICubs: Cubs (one of the most profitable minor league clubs in the country, i think #1 or 2 in AAA)
    Chops: Ducks (ummm.... they sport one mean looking pig)

Their contracts would be independent and we don't have to worry about a player getting called up (although if MLS2 did somehow magically happen, I would gladly take the Fire farm team here in DSM). Thats what sucked about rallying behind the Chops. They started off really well, even held the top of the table for a while, but then the Ducks took all of our star players and we didn't even qualify for the playoffs. I'm sure the same happens in Baseball and Basketball.
    You are correct though that it would be viewed as a minor league team. I am more than cool with that.

4. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that there is anything wrong with being viewed as minor league. At leat it is professional soccer rather than amateur. Trying to explain PDL is a headache...

5. ragan

ragan New Member

Jun 23, 2008

Mexico doesn't count. They refer to themselves as central american more, anyways :p

Also, with chops, an equivalent will (okay, SHOULD) be back next season, affiliated with the minnesota wild. :)

We're like the AAA sports captial of the world, really. Not big enough to go full legit pro, but too big not to have high competition here.

Anyways for where they could play - would there be a way with say, Roosevelt HS to build a facility at some park by the school, that is co-owned by private people, the DM school district, and the city? Roosevelt can use it for football and soccer; menace can use it, the lacrosse movement in DM can use it as their home stadium, and then if they ever want an outdoor concert at a nice stadium that isn't drake, they can use it.

Attendance for Roosevelt games sucks ass because it isn't on or near campus, so that would almost double their attendance for football. And the west siders that support soccer wont go past Drake as a max, Hoover was pushing it, for soccer. But, Roosevelt is still close enough for ethnic groups to attend the games so we would get that crowd, too.

If you put a 6,000-8,000 horseshoe stadium with luxury boxes on both sides (like 8-10 per side), you could totally make your money back (15M or so) within 10 years off of the stadium. Anyways, we're really beating a dead horse here - stadium shit wont happen. Who are we kidding? Should it happen for the sport? yes. Should it happen to make money? Yes. Should it happen because we deserve it? No question. But shit isn't going to happen unless we get into USL1 or this new thing, and were still getting like 3-5 per game, AND krause or whoever SEES a REASON why we need to do it. ********er still has my money, so, the way i see it, give us back the hundreds (some thousands) we gave for a stadium, or ********ing build one. Krause isn't my fav. person, as you can tell.

6. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yep, that horse is rotting dead but the league situation has changed so much, so that is what makes it more interesting. Another fun fact: I discovered today that Des Moines Metro has the 4th highest soccer participants per capita (as of 2005). Its just stupid and so damn frustrating to be spinning tires.
    I will disagree a bit because I know we will get a minor league (pro) soccer team. It will either be soon, while it's smart and cheap, or later when every other mid-sized city has one and we just get lost in the shuffle.
    With every passing day that I don't hear an effort made by the organization, the closer I am to having a personal ultimatum. Not that it matters though, I'm just one fan who doesn't spend too much. But I have a very loud drum...

7. Prester John

Prester John New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Captain for Life!
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the Roosevelt idea, but there really isn't anywhere near campus that would work without tearing down a lot of properties.

[​IMG]

To be honest, the only angle I can see working for a partnership would be something with Drake and/or Grand View. City budgets are generally tight, most of the schools have recently built/renovated fields/stadiums...

8. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You make some valid points. Too bad there is no land near Roosevelt though. Still, it is not much farther to Drake. Along that same line, I think trying to work with Dowling (again) would be a good move for the Menace and the school. Way back when Valley Stadium was being built, Dowling and the Menace were in talks to purchase old Valley and build LBS there. I think the lack of parking and the amount of money the WDM school district wanted killed that deal.
    Urbandale would have been a good fit too. Maybe they'll end up in their new stadium this year or next year. Who knows?

Most importantly - thanks for the lacrosse shout out. I have been working hard over the last year to get the sport growing in Des Moines. Last night was the inaugural game of the city's first-ever indoor lacrosse league. The Soccer House was kind enough to let us set up shop in there. All are welcome to come check it out; we're not pro or anything - it's just a rec league. Teams include ISU varsity & alumni players; Valley's varsity players; Valleys coaches, former college players, and local newbies; & a team of guys from Drake with high school experience. We play on Thursdays from 7-9.
    If you want to learn the game, just contact me and I'll hook you up. I kind of run the association...
    Also, it's not the Chops, but the National Lacrosse League (professional indoor lacrosse) is holding preseason game at WFA on 12/5. I have been in constant contact with the arena and the host team (Minnesota) since July. It will be a fun time.

Okay, back to soccer. I'm still upset that Krause did not want to keep Casey. I saw Casey as the key to going USL-1. I think he had the tools to lead the transition. More so than Boltnar's play or leadership.

9. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2

So, has there been any rumor on a new coach?? I heard a rumor that our conference as we know it today might be changing with new teams?? Just rumor thou boys.

10. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2

Aint going to happen with GV, they just went in with East High School and they just finished re-doing the football field at East and GV built a new locker room. Its for GV's football and soccer teams.

11. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Plus, if Krause doesn't think fans will for as far east as Drake there is no way they'd go to E 14th st...

12. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's the land next to principal park (but further from the river). It has been for sale for at least over a year now because about a year ago I noticed it.
    There's actually two empty lots that would work but one already has a big parking lot. It's just on the east side of downtown but in about a decade, that land will be a lot more $$$

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8...=23wvhGCq_Jg9Qz_jFjV0yQ&cbp=12,247.24,,0,5.44

http://www.sherman-associates.com/ebrochures/index.php?prop_id=1071

Its right of MLK and within a 2 min drive from the Court Ave district.
    Looks like MN is probably out of the USL1 next year. I would bet the USL would like to have a midwest team...

13. Prester John

Prester John New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Captain for Life!
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought GVU soccer was still at Cownie.

14. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2

could be??? East is just like Valley now, I drive by it alot and the goals are always near the endzones?? Dont know why they would spend all that money for a nice field and locker rooms to keep played at Cownie?? But, you could be right, I saw Vincy at Cownie a few weeks ago come to think about it??

15. Prester John

Prester John New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Captain for Life!
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anyone heading down to the MVC tournament at Cownie this weekend? Current forecast has 66 degrees and cloudy.

Could become an excellent weekend hours of American soccer: Missouri State/Evansville at 3:30, Drake/Creighton at 6:00, go home and catch Houston/Los Angeles at 10:00, get up for USA/Slovakia tomorrow, Salt Lake/Chicago for the finale, and then hopefully Drake-MSU/Evansville Sunday afternoon...

16. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll be there after work for the Drake game on Friday. Then heading Saturday morning to Chicago for the EC Finals and hopefully driving back that night so I can catch Drake on Sunday afternoon. Will be a good weekend indeed.

17. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Drake game, 6:00 anyone?

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Any of this USL/TOA thing putting any motivation or pressure on Menace to move up to a pro league?

I would think St Louis getting a pro team has got to be a plus.

19. Prester John

Prester John New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Captain for Life!
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesn't really sound like it. a pro move would require a stadium which seems dead.

20. fightnightfanman

fightnightfanman New Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan

Don't forget about Pleasant Hill/Altoona? In a few years, that is going to be the new place to go/live...Bass Pro Shops, hotels going in out there, etc...

21. fightnightfanman

Nov 14, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan

You heard it here first: Laury Calloway!

22. fightnightfanman

Nov 14, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan

I just read through the pages and made a few comments...however, where did the menace staffer go? It appeared he/she/they viewed this, but has no comments recently???

Does anybody have the email address for Kyle Krause? I want to send him an email and ask him about my brick I bought (it seems 10 years ago) and whatever happened to my money...I am being dead serious. Any proper businessman should take interest in thier customers feelings

23. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the Altoona idea. Unfortunately it won't happen. I'm now blue in the face.

Now this is non-Menace related but it is Des Moines/Iowa soccer related. Yesterday Drake (nationally ranked #24) won the MVC tournament for the second time only, giving them their second NCAA tournament berth ever (and second in a row, actually). It was a great game.
    They drew Western Illinois who is a lower seed, so Drake will be hosting the first round at Cownie. This is the first time EVER they have hosted a NCAA tournament. This is big ****.
    So I was thinking, anybody interested in showing everyone how we support soccer, and our local teams, in Des Moines? I think if we could just get 4 or 5 people together to chant, the students would probably love to join in. There should be a lot of them to cheer, they just don't know how.
    I figured we could do some basic chants, nothing that involved really any singing, but I'd bring a drum and some flags. If people are interested, I might even supply the beer for the tailgate. Yes, we'd drink beer in parking lot.
    The game is Thursday at 7. If anyone wants to join the fun, please let me know. I'll try and get some students together to do the same, but since I'm an older student, I don't really know too many.

Also, it will probably be the last time to see Garrett Webb play in Des Moines. I happen to meet a scout from a certain MLS team who was at the first round MVC tournament game to check Garrett out. He scored two awesome goals. He's really found his stride.

Let's support our only First Division team in Iowa.

24. Prester John

Prester John New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Captain for Life!
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have a meeting at 5:30 that will probably last until 9 so I am out. Hopefully Blue can pull it out and upset Ohio State in the second round. I've caught the Buckeyes a few times on BTN and am not impressed.

25. IowaClone

IowaClone Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Kc, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

they actualy showed that game on fox sports net. I was impressed with cownie when i looked at it online. Is there a reason that the menace couldn't just buy cownie and expand it to a 7k + seat stadium instead of having to build a new SSS ? or is it just to far out of the way to consider ?