Official 2007-08 Sand Leauge Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by riot71, Jul 15, 2007.

1. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    1 1 Nicephoras
    1 2 Yermom
    1 3 EAC Raiders
    1 4 Glorydaze
    1 5 Tally Road AFC
    1 6 LSG St. Pauli
    1 7 Gunners 320
    1 8 Blechs Dawgs

Round 2

2 1 Blechs Dawgs
    2 2 Gunners 320
    2 3 LSG St. Pauli
    2 4 Tally Road AFC
    2 5 Glorydaze
    2 6 EAC Raiders
    2 7 Yermom
    2 8 Nicephoras

here is a combined post From the VSR Draft thread I have made adjustments where needed for our leauge

Let me go through the process one more time so no one can raise objections moving forward.

As determined earlier, once the draft order is set the person picking first can start at any time. There will be no time pressure to make picks, however, during this first phase. The second phase will begin on Monday, July 24 . Here there will be 10 hour windows to pick. We have people who have volunteered to proxy already for those with a conflict. If we haven’t finished by the weekend of August 4-5, we will need to agree to a timeslot when we can all be present to finish the draft in a go fast mode (10 minutes per pick). If you have objections to this scenario, please voice them now, before the draft has begun.

As previously mentioned as well, as soon as the first pick is made, the database is frozen until 24 hours after the draft is complete. Once the draft has been completed and the 24 hour window has expired, all players not selected are “free agents”, and you can transfer any players into your team. To be official, all transfers must be posted in the forums of the premier league website, not on bigsoccer.com. If there is a conflict and two managers swoop for a player at around the same time, whoever posted first at the premier league site has the rights to that player.

One further note: since we are starting this draft pretty early, there is a chance some managers may select players who will end up being injured in training camp or transferred abroad before the season starts. If this is the case, it is simply tough luck for the manager involved. According to past rules, there are no double picks or one-for-one swaps during the draft. If you pick one of these players, you are stuck with them until the end of the draft. You can only transfer them when the free agent window opens.

Good luck to everyone!

First let me start off with an approximate draft timeline. We can be flexible as the draft progresses but let's try and stick to something along these lines:

1. First Phase - Starts as soon as Ithe first pick is made. There are no time limits during this phase, but if you won't be around for a while, it would be great if you could post that so other managers know there will be a delay between picks.
    2. Second Phase - Begins Tuesday, July 24. At this point, we leave behind the unlimited time per pick and move to a "go slow" phase, with 10 hour limits per pick. If you don't make a pick within your ten hour window, you get skipped over. We of course can be a little lenient if your time window falls between 11pm-10am, but please again respect the time limits.
    3. Third Phase - Last year the Small Rocks finished the draft in the go slow phase. If necessary, however, we will need to agree to a time where the maximum amount of managers are present and finish off the draft with a go fast phase (10 minutes per pick).
    4. Fourth Phase - Once the draft is over, there is a 24 freeze on transactions. As soon as that 24 hour window has been lifted, the free agent phase begins.

Some Important Draft Rules

1. Picks: Please post all picks in this thread. I will track the draft and supply regular updates on this thread, but please keep your own records so you don't draft a player that has already been taken, and so that you respect the salary cap situation. Traditionally, this is how we list a player when we choose them on the site - Henry, Arsenal, Forward, 14.0 (or an approximation of that - just please list all the information)

2. Database: As soon as the first pick is made, the database is frozen (I will print out a copy of the player list at that time, put it into a word file and will send it to everyone if they like). Even if you see breaking news on skysports that a deal has been signed that same day, if the player isn't in the fantasy premierleague site when the first pick is made, he is off-limits until the free agent period. We have done this in the past in part because you can never guess what value the player will be assigned. You forefeit your pick if you choose someone who is ineligible by the way.

3. Transfer Abroad/Injury: If a player chosen in the draft gets transfered to Spain or elsewhere before the season begins - or if they get injured - that is simply tough luck for the manager. You can only start to tweak your team as soon as the free agent window opens.

4. Free Agents: The free agent window opens 24 hours after completion of the draft. To make a transfer official, please post it in the forums at the premierleague site, not on bigsoccer. If two players swoop for the same guy, the person who posted first at premierleague is considered to have the rights to that player.

5. Missed picks: If you miss a pick in the go slow or go fast phase, there will not be a chance to go back and claim a player. Instead, you need to wait until your next turn, and then make a double selection at that point.

6. Draft chatter/trash-talking: Makes everything a lot of fun and is highly encouraged. Terms like "Lobomojo has no idea what he's doing" are fine but let's try and keep everything civil if we can. We've also found in the past that this chatter is better posted on another thread. Let's try and keep this thread to picks only, so managers who were away for a while don't need to scroll too far down to see who has been picked. Of course, if you want to add a commentary in the same post as your pick, that is highly encouraged, and usually very entertaining.

7. Objections/problems: No one knows everything about the draft rules... well except Hal. If an issue arises or there's a question, best to consult Hal. As draft administrator, I'll do my best to enforce the rules we've established over the years, but I can be wrong.

For any other draft questions or rules, please consult this thread
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=566926

a) When you make your pick, send a PM to the next player to draft.
    b) It's wise to subscribe to the draft thread so you get emails when people post their picks.
    c) Look to make arrangements with at least one other drafting manager, maybe exchange phone numbers, so you can call each other to alert the other when it's near their turn to pick. Also, arrange for another manager to make your proxy picks at times you'll have to be away from the draft thread for awhile (sleeping, working, living your life, etc.)
    d) We typically send PMs with our proxy pick selection instructions and the proxy picker only looks at our PM if our turn to pick occurs and we are not online. The proxy picks have to have specific instructions and the proxy picker should not deviate from the instructions or apply his judgement.
    e) The easy way to make your pick is to quote the previous pick's post and just add in and bold your pick. That way, everyone sees who the last round or two of picks have been without having to scroll through the thread.
    f) I recommend everyone keep an EXCEL sheet of the draft, sorted by team and fill in their picks as you go. I have mine set to add up the valuations and subtract them from 100 to know how much each manager has left to spend after each pick.
    g) Since we are not loading the players until the draft is complete, although some do load their picks as they make them, sometimes someone could select too many from the same team. (The Fantasy.Premierleague.com software would alert you, but during the draft, it might be missed. Pay attention to your and your opponent's picks to ensure no one violates the maximum player from one team rule. If it occurs, and once it has been noticed, the manager can make the correction at his next turn to pick, in essence, correcting the illegal pick and making his normal pick at the same time.
    h) The same is true of salary available late in the draft. Note the minimum price of a player in each position. As you approach your 9th and 10th picks, ensure you have enough money left to complete your squad of 15. Sometimes, veteran managers warn others as they approach the "complete the team with minimum priced player" point.
    i) I will have an EXCEL file with my expected draft's roster and I'll fill it in as we go. By the 8th round, I've completely filled in my team with players that comply with the rules. Then when it's my turn to pick, I pick my top priority of those I'm still planning to select. When someone takes that player ahead of me, I make a nasty post about them stealing my pick, having spies in my draft war room, and then I delete that player from my squad list and replace it with another legal selection of one who hasn't been chosen.

Comment. Questions, concerns?

2. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I think your League Administrator moved Gunners320 down to the Dust League and put Crazies in his place to lock down your league with registered managers and get your draft started. You may want to replace Gunners 320 in your Draft Order with Crazies.

3. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    updated draft order

1 1 Nicephoras
    1 2 Yermom
    1 3 EAC Raiders
    1 4 Glorydaze
    1 5 Tally Road AFC
    1 6 LSG St. Pauli
    1 7 Crazies
    1 8 Blechs Dawgs

Round 2

2 1 Blechs Dawgs
    2 2 Crazies
    2 3 LSG St. Pauli
    2 4 Tally Road AFC
    2 5 Glorydaze
    2 6 EAC Raiders
    2 7 Yermom
    2 8 Nicephoras

4. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    reupdated draft order

1 1 Nicephoras
    1 2 Yermom
    1 3 Crazies
    1 4 Glorydaze
    1 5 Tally Road AFC
    1 6 LSG St. Pauli
    1 7 Gunners320
    1 8 Blechs Dawgs

Round 2

2 1 Blechs Dawgs
    2 2 Gunners320
    2 3 LSG St. Pauli
    2 4 Tally Road AFC
    2 5 Glorydaze
    2 6 Crazies
    2 7 Yermom
    2 8 Nicephoras

5. sizal9

sizal9 Member+

Mexico
    Aug 24, 2005
    Lampard-Che-mid-11.0

funds remaining 89.0

6. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabergas AR 9.5

7. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    y'all better get yout draft round list in order before hal comes knocking:p :D

8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Hey fellas, it would be easier on everyone if you followed the format we use in SR and VSR.

Players use spreadsheets to track this, plus you won't have to scroll through pages and pages of single posts to see who was picked earlier.

Ing (every time he gets relegated, we shorten his name :D) would have set this up, but I'm here and bored right now :)

Round 1

1 London Lawn Gnomes (nicephoras):Ronaldo - MF - MU - 12.0
    2 Yermom (sizal9) - Lampard - MF - CH - 12.0
    3 Crazies (crazybox) - Fabregas - MF - AR - 9.5
    4 Glorydaze (glorydaze)
    5 Tally Road AFC (Riot71)
    6 LSG St. Pauli (ingromius)
    7 *** (Gunners320)
    8 Blechs Dawgs (blech)

Last pick bolded and a PM from crazybox to glorydaze to let him know he's next up.
    Copy and paste the order, fill in your pick and Pm the next in line.

9. glorydaze

glorydaze Member+

Liverpool FC
    Apr 5, 2007
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 1

1 London Lawn Gnomes (nicephoras):Ronaldo - MF - MU - 12.0
    2 Yermom (sizal9) - Lampard - MF - CH - 12.0 3 Crazies (crazybox) - Fabregas - MF - AR - 9.5
    4 Glorydaze (glorydaze): Rooney- F- Manu- 12.0
    5 Tally Road AFC (Riot71)
    6 LSG St. Pauli (ingromius)
    7 *** (Gunners320)
    8 Blechs Dawgs (blech)

10. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    Looking at the way the draft list has been set up I'm glad to see that nobody was confused by this... As you all should know and as was documented, G320 is in the league, with EAC Raiders having dropped out. If anybody is confused review the Sand thread where this was all played out blow-by-blow.

Remember that while others do pop in to post questions and comments, there's only one league admin so I'm a bit concerned to see potential confusion. I'm posting the draft order again after this in a new post. It is final and binding; there will be no further changes.

Clan is also right -- there is one and only one way to list drafts, but we seem to have gotten into the swing of things now. Best, though, to use the updated template our draft admin provided as the other one which I wrote up, which was solely for the purpose of providing BS names for each team's manager, is too long and leads to confusing draft posts like Glorydaze's, with the magical missing 3rd draft pick.

11. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    Round 1

1 London Lawn Gnomes: Ronaldo - MF - MU - 12.0
    2 Yermom: Lampard - MF - CH - 12.0
    3 Crazies: Fabregas - MF - AR - 9.5
    4 Glorydaze: Rooney- F- MU- 12.0
    5 Tally Road AFC:
    6 LSG St. Pauli:
    7 Gunners 320:
    8 Blechs Dawgs:

Round 2

1. Blechs Dawgs:
    2. Gunners 320:
    3. LSG St. Pauli:
    4. Tally Road AFC:
    5. Glorydaze:
    6. Crazies:
    7. Yermom:
    8. London Lawn Gnomes:

Please make picks from now on by pasting in the last round (which should be on this form), then adding your own pick in bold face. Also note that we generally prefer two letter indications for teams (MU) rather than other abbreviations (Man Utd). Usually it doesn't matter but for some longer names it keeps things always on one line.

I'm hoping Furby will now get Raj's "team unknown" registered so we don't have to edit the 7th pick to reflect the actual team name before many more picks are made.

EDIT: Raj's team has been registered on the site so all is now up to date & this form can be used for each pair of rounds.

12. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Anyone else find any irony in Riot pushing to get the draft started today, and then not being online at any point thereafter?

As a reminder, I'm going to be away Saturday and at least a portion of Sunday, and still trying to develop some extraordinary strategy, so I probably won't make my picks until then (assuming that it is to me by then). After that, I expect I'll be regularly available and ready to make picks quickly.

13. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    I was never pushing to get it started today I was just making it clear that the first pick could be made at anytime (which seemed to be confusing to people) just for that I will wait till monday to make my pick......

14. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    ......just kidding

Round 1

5 Tally Road AFC: Gerrard-M-LIV-10.5
    6 LSG St. Pauli:
    7 Gunners 320:
    8 Blechs Dawgs:

Round 2

1. Blechs Dawgs:
    2. Gunners 320:
    3. LSG St. Pauli:
    4. Tally Road AFC:
    5. Glorydaze:
    6. Crazies:
    7. Yermom:
    8. London Lawn Gnomes:

15. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    Huzzah. I figured it was either him or the guy I really wanted... it was one or the other for me too.

Round 1

6 LSG St. Pauli:Drogba-F-CH-12.0
    7 Gunners 320:
    8 Blechs Dawgs:

Round 2

1. Blechs Dawgs:
    2. Gunners 320:
    3. LSG St. Pauli:
    4. Tally Road AFC:
    5. Glorydaze:
    6. Crazies:
    7. Yermom:
    8. London Lawn Gnomes:

I'll PM Furby for G320's picks - last I looked he was offline though.

16. furby

furby Member

Mar 25, 2003
    I'll keep you rolling.

17. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    Not being AR I didn't see the Tevez pick for a few minutes :) Blech was on half an hour ago so we might bounce back up the bottom of the order tonight. Good since I head off to NYC tomorrow...

Round 1

6 LSG St. Pauli: Drogba-F-CH-12.0
    7 Gunners 320: Tevez - F - WH - 8.5
    8 Blechs Dawgs:

Round 2

1. Blechs Dawgs:
    2. Gunners 320:
    3. LSG St. Pauli:
    4. Tally Road AFC:
    5. Glorydaze:
    6. Crazies:
    7. Yermom:
    8. London Lawn Gnomes:

18. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Round 1

8 Blechs Dawgs: Van Persie - F - AR - 9.0

Round 2

1. Blechs Dawgs: Arteta - M - EV - 8.5
    2. Gunners 320:
    3. LSG St. Pauli:
    4. Tally Road AFC:
    5. Glorydaze:
    6. Crazies:
    7. Yermom:
    8. London Lawn Gnomes:

I'll let Furby know that G320 is up.

19. glorydaze

glorydaze Member+

Liverpool FC
    Apr 5, 2007
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am unavailable until mid/late afternoon today when I will get a short window to check in.

20. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    I'm around for a little bit longer today but if I'm gone before it's my pick I've sent a 2 choice proxy to Furby so he can just make my pick and G320's at the same time. After that I'm gone until Sunday night but that should be plenty of time to go back up & down the rounds...

21. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    What's the over/under that another Rock's League Draft will finish before Very Small Rocks?;)

22. furby

furby Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Round 1

Round 2

2. Gunners 320: Berbatov - F TH - 9.5
    3. LSG St. Pauli: Reina - G - LI - 6.5
    4. Tally Road AFC:
    5. Glorydaze:
    6. Crazies:
    7. Yermom:
    8. London Lawn Gnomes:

23. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    Round 1

Round 2

2. Gunners 320: Berbatov - F TH - 9.5
    3. LSG St. Pauli: Reina - G - LI - 6.5
    4. Tally Road AFC: Carvalho-D-CHE-7.0
    5. Glorydaze:
    6. Crazies:
    7. Yermom:
    8. London Lawn Gnomes:

24. glorydaze

glorydaze Member+

Liverpool FC
    Apr 5, 2007
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caught some time and the player I wanted at just the right moment.

25. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States