News: Off-Season transaction list

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    jayd8888 and 22SteveD repped this.
  2. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we remember him. I like this trade.

So, that takes care of today. Can we send EB somewhere tomorrow?

Stuart95 and JasonMa repped this.
  3. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That alone makes this trade worthwhile. The experience and veteran savvy that Chavez has is well worth the extra two years of age and the negligible cap bump. Even off the field he brings a lot more to the table than Harris does.

Harris really was an odd man out on our roster. He's 28 and he's really far down the depth chart going forward. There is no way he was going to see much playing time, unless our entire attack got complety shredded with injuries. Chavez is a better option.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I thought someone up thread said we are still on the hook for part of Atiba's salary?

5. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have updated the Googledocs spreadsheet to reflect the new changes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...RkRTbG5vYXlRWUFEZFV6OTZsaWc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Some notes:
    • Marvin Chávez holds a Green Card. That probably goes a long way to explain why the deal with Harris was a strait swap (he had a Green Card as well).
    • I have highlighted all of the players in red that we don't know their status. Be it "negotiating" or whatever. This accounts for nine players total.
    • I have also removed the "status unknown" players from the roster totals, and the cap number reflect this.
    • Without knowing exact numbers...we're probably around $500 to $700k shy of the cap as it stands today.

22SteveD and Cos_Mos repped this.
  6. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #131 Quinn 33, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Yeah...but we don't know how much. There is a pretty big range between 0 and 165,000.

jayd8888 repped this.
  7. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are so many weird OP ties to this trade. Atiba Harris was his guy. He worked with him at Dallas, brought him in from Vancouver. Kept giving him crucial minutes. We pick up his option after the season and now we trade him....but for a guy who OP would have worked with at Dallas, so on the surface it would seem that if this trade had been in the works for a while, he might have approved.

But I think this might be Bravo saying, "Oscar's leaving, great I can get rid of his boy Harris."

8. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, wouldnt say Marvin was universally loved.

Positives:
    Really talented player. Fast, good skill.

Negatives:
    Not always going to give you a consistent effort. Not really a team first guy. Pretty much torched his own trade value.

Should be good for you, but not the guy you want to turn to in a sticky situation. Also, he will likely be out for the WC this year most likely as hes been called pretty consistently into the Honduran team.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with all of that, still an upgrade over Hack Harris.

10. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #135 lurking, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    Yeah, certainly from an attacking standpoint. The key element to the trade is how much of Harris's salary Colorado is picking up. Its still probably a good move for you guys though, since you are into a player for about 175k regardless. While I dont know if Id want want to pay Marvin north of 225k, its not like you would have that full cap room to sign someone better. Spending an extra 75k to upgrade from Harris to Chavez would be worth it.

11. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    I honestly wasn't a huge fan of harris but i don't think this deal will work out the best for us. if buddle goes down torres goes down brown goes down we are torched in the striker area. i'd take harris over buddle at striker any day of the week. not sure why everyone played harris at right mid / right wing i remember pre knee injury he was alright at striker better then most in the mls

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah other than LA is there an MLS team that could lose 3 attackers and not be in serious trouble?

22SteveD, Dom. FC and JasonMa repped this.
  13. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Edson Buddle as hold-up man for his more active strike partner Edson Eagle?

Stuart95 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    LA would be in trouble...maybe SporKS is the answer, since they seem to choose 3 random forwards at any given time.

15. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    when chavez doesn't score or get us asssits and goes down with a long term injury and harris is starting and playing regulary?

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And not contributing, like last year? Who cares.

Quinn 33, GreatGonzo and jayd8888 repped this.
  17. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    harris was the reason we beat rsl was the best chance for clearing out corner aswell......

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't it your twin who predicted Harris would be the leading scorer last year? How'd that work out?

(He finished in a 3 way tie for 2nd including a rookie, with half the goals of the leading scorer, also a rookie, and just one more goal than Nathan Sturgis)

19. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    who ever predicted that wasn't to far off. he hit a wall mid season and never came back.

why does everyone say im this person?

20. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Boy, you're really disowning your past persona, aren't you?

Ah yes, that striker better than most in MLS, whose best goal scoring season was... the season he played mostly at right wing. 2013. Whose goalscoring record from 2006 - 2010 was 1 goal every 6.68 games, matching him with such luminary forwards as Devin Barclay, Mike Fucito, Thiago Martins, Tristan Bowen, Ryan Pore, and Jerry Bengtson.

JasonMa and Nittany Meteo repped this.
  21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Don't worry about it. Most of us liked you.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying he was only off by half a season. :thumbsup:

23. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    all i'm saying is watch chavez go down and harris wins the golden boot. i know its vastly highly unlikely. were more likely to cure cancer in 2014 then harris winning the golden boot.

i'm just a random guy from norwich who randomly picked the rapids as the mls team to watch and research for school and fell in love with them over the last 3 years.

24. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at our roster needs right now, it really hinges on three big things:
    • Which of the "status unknown" type players end up returning.
    • If we keep Wynne, or trade him out to a club for cap reasons.
    • If Sanchez would prefer to follow Pareja or not. I feel like he is the only guy currently locked for next season that is "at risk" for wanting to stay with Pareja. I'm hoping the professionalism he has demonstrated means he will want to fulfill his time here before considering a move.
    It is my personal opinion that we should be looking for the following:
    • A Right Back. Even in Wynne stays, we are thin at that position.
    • Either a Defensive Midfielder or another Center Back...it really depends if we have Thomas.
    • Another Wide Midfielder. Not a winger, not a CAM, not a forward...but a guy that can play two-way and serve the ball. Basically another Brian Mullan.
    • A true target forward. I can dream of the extremely unlikely event we sign a guy like Roque Santa Cruz...but we need a guy all the same that can be a physical presence on the ball that frees up guys like Torres and Brown to be mobile.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oddly enough, my CEO is a casual acquaintance of Roque Santa Cruz (they met while they both happened to be vacationing in Dominica a couple of years ago). If that becomes at all a realistic option I'll try to get him to sell the benefits of living in Denver to Santa Cruz. :D

Otherwise I agree with your list. Also a backup GK but that shouldn't be hard to find.

Quinn 33 repped this.