Off-Season Roster Moves: Trades, Free Agents, MLS Draft and Academy

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Woodrow, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Petke will treat Bover like any youngster who looks good at pre-season. He will get more minutes off the bench and will probably play more of a squad role than he did in 2013. Nothing else. If he does do much better than perhaps we could see him loaned for more minutes and then make more of a contribution in 2015.

Anything else would be a surprise.

2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If he's getting minutes and showing well, he won't be loaned out. He'll be the first or second sub off the bench. There wasn't really anyone who could fill that attacking midfield sub role last year, and that can be useful in a lot of situations. In the meantime he can work on his possession and defense. When he shows that he can maintain high pressure and track back as needed, then he'll be ready for full time minutes. Especially when pared with Bustamante, together they have struggled in the preseason at containing the opposing midfielders.

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry helped bring us the first trophy in franchise history. After you said we'd never win anything with him on the team.

Bover hasn't won us anything...yet.

4. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

You yes talk just boloney....What I say was when some of you say on that time, that the game against Toronto or Portland I don't remember which one, Henry will not play because wasn't in grass and I say, to stop that bull shit because we need the points to win the division title because in the MLS CUP we was going to be out on the first round and that it is what happen....

Don't Tread on Me repped this.
  5. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    So in your mind, if we played with Bover (or Moreno for a relevant example) instead of Henry last year we would have had a better chance at winning the MLS Cup?

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be wrong but I think Metz was just saying for all the money he makes Henry should step up like a leader and play in big games no matter where they are. Jut my interpretaion from my memory so correct me if I am wrong.

7. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metz also said that we would never win anything with Henry. He said it time and time again.

8. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really believe that creating (or transitioning to) a full-scheduled affiliated league like the USL Pro will be seen as a tipping point in US soccer history. We will see more and more 16 year old kids signing pro contracts and getting competitive games instead of waiting and trying to figure out if college makes more sense for them. Having a better development model, one bridging the academy to the first team, will lead to the club being more proactive in handing out homegrown deals and players more eager to sign such deals.
    I personally would love to see an educational aspect attached to the current academy model. I think having resident academy players would lead to vastly stronger MLS teams and a stronger USMNT by extension. It's also the right thing to do. If these kids are willing to risk their college eligibility to chase their dream of playing pro soccer, then the clubs need to ensure that if these kids fall short then they at least have a solid education to fall back on.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  9. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true, i remember that as well.

10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    For anyone still looking to catch up after the off season, this is the best preview I've seen so far:

http://americansocceranalysis.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/season-preview-new-york-red-bulls/

And in case anyone not named metz still doubts Henry's influence on the team, this might help put things in perspective:

miggly repped this.
  11. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  12. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a game thread. I'm excited to discuss actual MLS games!!!

13. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Oyongo will get a shot at LB. Miller will be away with Costa Rica in Brazil and I see Convey being the 15-20 minute guy off the bench at LW. Conner Lade has to step up his game or I can see him becoming expansion draft fodder.

Woodrow repped this.
  14. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The depth on this team is good enough that even a guy like Lade, with a season of MLS experience, is going to have to fight for a place. I still believe his future with the club, if any, is as a midfielder. Petke's continued search for depth at the outside backs only underlines this fact. But Connor has his work cut out, trying to displace Bustamante as the 2nd choice d-mid, Convey and Obekop at LM, Alexander at RM or Bover at AM.

15. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #916 Woodrow, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Bad news. As if the top tier refs weren't bad enough, get ready for the understudies.

Edit: It's worse. Get ready for the Over The Hill Gang.

16. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually in wait and see mode. Can these guys really be that much worse than what we see week in and week out in this league? Maybe I'm being naive, but I need to see demonstrably worse officiating (if such a thing exists) before I'm worried.

17. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Typically, if a ref has aspirations of becoming a full-time MLS ref in the future he will be loathe to cross the picket line now. Thus, PRO will need to look outside that pool, the 2nd string if you will, towards the 3rd string or free agents.

Most of the refs will have little pro experience, with the exception of an Okulaja, who was in MLS, but is no longer, presumably because he could no longer cut it. That doesn't give me a great comfort level.

18. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've got Abbey. The officiating will almost certainly be demontrably worse.

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No longer the off season sooooooooo