Off-Season Roster Moves: Trades, Free Agents, MLS Draft and Academy

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Woodrow, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, he did score tonight, which is a step in the right direction.

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worse comes to worst we could always bring back Jozy...right? :unsure:

3. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    BWP reminds me a bit of Luke Rodgers, not the best finisher but always knows exactly where to be to score scrappy goals. BWP finds himself behind the defense at least a few times a game, even if his finishing is underwhelming he'll find so many chances that he should put up good numbers.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's Kenny cooper 2.0. Puts himself in good spots to finish chances (like cooper), but is faster and smarter.

5. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I always considered Cooper kind of the opposite, amazing finisher but tended to drift out wide instead of getting in the damn box like a striker should.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made all the right runs to put himself into position to finish the tap-ins, but when the game wasn't coming to him he tended to drift wide where he'd go missing for large portions of the game.

What I like about BWP is that even if the game isn't coming to him he still has an impact and isn't throwing the shape of the team out the window like Cooper and sometimes Espindola used to do.

Now of course he has to prove in actual meaningful games that he is an upgrade over Cooper, Espindola, Rodgers, etc....but I'm very encouraged by his play.

7. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Petke say he is elated to see how good the team play;
    Now, let see what we have:

First half:
    Robles
    Eckersey, Olave, Sekagya, Miller
    Alexander, McCarty, Luyindula, Steele
    Cahill, Henry

Second half:
    Meara
    Kimura, Armando, Miazga, Oyongo
    Lloyd, Bover, Bustamante, Stevenson
    Okpan, BWP

For a third time in a row, the second team has overplayed the first and in season games Petke will not be able to change his eleven player on the second half to compensate what the first team can't do on the first half, except for the play on goal on the fist half (Henry/Miller for a very good goal), the team play pure garbage and Petke should be worry to go with that first team only with three week to go....

8. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The first team completely dominated Philly and Henry and Cahill didn't even play against KC, Petke (and we) have nothing to worry about.

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd half team was way better than the 1st half team. They should be the starters.

Oh wait, Montreal made changes in the 2nd half too? Oh. ;)

10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Rumor came up today that we were in discussions with Carles Puyol after he decided not to continue at Barca next year, but in the end didn't want to use a DP spot on him.

Puyol is one of my all time favorite players, but this is the right move. He barely plays a game per month for Barca this season, and usually comes off in the second half with a new knock.

11. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll echo what @kokoplus10 has said many times: I'm not interested in DP defenders.

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO DP DEFENDERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Why?
    1. Midfield is where the game is won and lost. Sign mids.
    2. It's extremely difficult to find consistent strikers in ANY league. Sign strikers.
    3. Goalkeeping and defending has traditionally been an American strength. Don't sign either.
    4. RAFA.
    5. RAFA.

13. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6-10. RAFA

bmo180 repped this.
  14. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I'm glad that Mike isn't a head case like you and recon what is going on or at least change his opinion:

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=36360

15. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Whatever. Praising the young players for a good showing is a far cry from suggesting that they are better than the vets or should start. That's all he's saying. I don't think anyone is saying they didn't play well.

16. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I think that Bover will do a better job than Luyindula or Steele if they play him instead on any of those position........

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our second half subs played better then their second half subs. Our depth seems to be vastly improved and Petke is impressed by it.

What else is there to glean? That they should be automatic starters??? No. They've earned the honor of not being cut, and PROBABLY the honor of getting SOME minutes to start off the season. How they perform with those sub minutes in meaningfull games will determine how many more minutes they're given.

Mike is like every other coach in the world. He's not going to blow up his entire starting 11 just because his pre-season kids looked good. Odds are we might see 1-2 surprises on opening day. Not much else. The kids will have to continue to EARN their minutes.

GunningforMLS1993 and iced1776 repped this.
  18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He MIGHT. And Petke MIGHT start him in a meaningful game based on his preseason. Not likely. But it's POSSIBLE.

But if Mike doesn't start Bover he won't be any different from any other coach in the world.

He'll likely reward Bover with some sub minutes, and then it's up to Bover what he does with those minutes. If he continues to play well he'll get more playing time. Simple as that.

GunningforMLS1993 repped this.
  19. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Until Bover puts up three assists in a game, that spot is Peguy's. But he should be the first off the bench if Peguy needs a spell, keep him central instead of putting him out on the wings like last year. Steele's spot is irrelevant to Bover, that's for Convey and Obekop to fight over.

20. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    The "crutches" used by Luyindula instead of leggs are not tools for shoot at the net and never will be goals coming from that crutches.....Instead Bover 1/2 the age of Luyindula have a canon left foot and the possibility of convert some goals when least expected.... When you have a potential player like Bover everything is relevant, because is demonstrated that the kid can adapted to any MF position and he is a left foot inclined player and easy a candidate to play the left.....

Don't Tread on Me repped this.
  21. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Just because he's left footed doesn't mean he's suited to play on the wing. The kid himself has said that he feels most comfortable playing centrally.

I don't care if Peguy does it from a wheelchair, if he can create goals like he was in the final stretch of last season then the spot is his to lose. Bover has a canon, but a hard shot alone doesn't earn you a starting spot. I do hope that Bover gets a fair share of minutes this year though, he's becoming an exciting prospect.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's a good thing we're relying on Peggy to CREATE goals rather than score them.

23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You know it's amazing how Metz rails against foreigners until one of them does something good. When they also happen to be young, he gets all tumescent.

I've never seen anyone so predictably lose his mind.

24. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    The difference on a young player like Bover and old player like Henry beside undermine the salary cap is, that Bover can give us future and Henry only the legend of a great player of the last century, but not satisfaction......

Don't Tread on Me repped this.
  25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's not the positivity I mind at all, so much as the frothing at the mouth. You go from 0 to 90 in about 2.3 seconds. There was nothing in Petke's comments that suggests that he looks at Bover as anything other than a young man who is showing tangible improvement. Petke wasn't saying he's going to start or that he expects him to lead the team. Bover does have some glaring deficiencies, especially defensively, that could limit his time on the field. But, if he keeps working hard and contributing during matches, he will see plenty of time. Perspective.