Off-Season Roster Moves: Trades, Free Agents, MLS Draft and Academy

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Woodrow, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Another year, another untimely end to the season. Maybe Henry and Cahill wanted to win MLS Cup. That doesn't necessarily mean they understood what it would take to win it. The question is how will Petke and Roxburgh reshape the team for another run at it next season?

The good news (really great, given past history) is Petke has a lot of guys who can play and thus there don't need to be wholesale changes. That said, cost structure needs to be addressed. There are redundancies and some expensive players who probably need to be trimmed. Left Back for instance is a position that is both. My prediction is Pearce will be on the block for trade, since he is the most expensive, with the big question his health. Red Bull might end up paying a part of his salary to be rid of him. Our foreign strike corps is also probably going to be whittled down, with one or even two players likely to be gone.

I expect only 6-8 new players in time for preseason, with 4-6 of those being draftees / Academy players. If they could find a younger, cheaper version of Juninho to bring as a free agent, that'd be a good thing. Some attacking punch out of midfield would be useful.

But I have a hard time seeing much turnover. For me it is more about building team cohesion and accountability.

2. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    For me, I want to see the following players off the roster:

- Kevin Hartman: Aged 39 and does not even play a game anymore. More a coach than player now so why even have him on the playing roster.
    - Heath Pearce: To injury-prone, to expensive, and we already have a starting LB in Roy Miller.
    - Kosuke Kimura: He will be 30 next season, takes up an international spot and honestly with Holgersson proving himself at RB, Brandon Barklage still in his prime years, and either Matt or Connor Lade hopefully getting minutes next year, Kimura probably will not be needed much.
    - David Carney: He was good enough for the few months we needed him because Kimura was not cutting it at LB and Miller was out but I am not confident of giving a soon-to-be 30 year old international slot player who was average at best when he played a full-season.
    - Andre Akpan: Barely played this season and I doubt will play much next season either. I am sure there will be teams willing to take him in and give him more playing time.

And then I have guys who I might want off the roster but not sure about yet:
    - Ryan Meara.
    - Ian Christianson.
    - Michael Bustamante.
    - Fabien Espindola.
    - Peguy Luyindula.

I will leave it up to you guys.

3. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand these three.. They are all young guys and count to almost nothing on the salary cap and plus Meara has shown he can be a good goal keeper in the league.. At worst he has some trade value.

I've been Luyindola's biggest critic this season but the man has talent and no one can dispute that. He can be a very useful player for us if he's playing in the right position.

As for Espindola I agree.

Players I want gone:
    Espindola(125K)
    Kimura(100K)
    Miller(123k)
    Akpan(70k)
    Hartman and some of the other useless players

We can save probably around 500k in space.

Undecided:
    Pearce, We need to know how much we are paying but that seems to be a mystery. I still think he can be a good LB for us.

Needs:
    1) Target Striker
    2) Help in the backline

4. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I honestly can't think of anybody other than Pearce that I confidently want off the roster, and even that's just because of his disproportionately high salary.

As for off season targets, we could probably get slight upgrades at LM and LB, maybe a bona fide CM sub for when Dax and Cahill are fatigued (which happened a few times this season).

What can you really ask for when your team just won the SS?

5. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, we won it but it is not as if it was an easy ride. We have had so many moments this season where we questioned whether the team looked like a play-off worthy side even... it just so happened that in the end we were somehow good enough to win it.

Not taking anything away from the team, its just that it was not an easy ride. Many mistakes were made.

6. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If Christianson can get fit then I would keep him, if not then release or loan him when he returns. Meara needs playing time and Robles is established. It all depends on whether Meara is up to challenge Robles and deal with being #2 for a while. Bustamante is almost 25. He really should be an established regular by now in his career.

As for Peguy, I just want someone like him but who is younger and can score the odd goal here and there.

7. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think you have to assume that Pearce's salary is paid entirely by NY, if it wasn't already. I know when he came over from Chivas, they agreed to pay part of it, but how long do deals like that last? Usually, it's only for the current season, which was 2 years ago in Pearce's case.

Overall, the roster isn't in terrible shape, with many players making under $100K, and only Carney, Espindola, Holgersson, McCarty, Olave, Pearce and Sekagaya making $150K+. That doesn't include DP's, Henry and Cahill. Still, I can see where you would ship out Pearce and Espindola in trade. Let Carney find himself a Euro club. Depending on draft options, I might let Sekagaya go, too. OTOH, Alexander played a lot of minutes for very little money and could be in line for a raise.

Kimura is another one who I'd consider dealing, but are there any takers. He was the starter for much of the season. Although Barklage may have a little more versatility, he's not really an upgrade on Kimura.

Akpan I overlooked, but he's cheap.

Luyindula is the one who is cheap enough to keep but still might leave because he can make more money going back to France. He's shown he can still play and I'm sure a bottom tier Ligue 1 or promotion Ligue 2 team would be willing to pony up some cash for that little extra boost in the attack he can provide.

What I'm hoping is the club will begin to build a roster where you've got 2-deep at most positions, with 1 and 1A hopefully, and then the 3rd man is a developmental slot. At the center positions (striker, CM and CB), you go with three vets with four total, maybe CM you get a 5th just to be safe. So that gives you a 22-23 man roster with another 7-8 true reserves, who may or may not be capable of playing much.

Some versatility is key, such as Alexander, a CM, who spot starts and subs on the right. Thus Barklage becomes the 3rd choice at RM, with only a couple of appearances. I'd like to see something like that for the left. Maybe Obekop will be a more realistic fill-in (change of pace) for Steele next season.

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 kokoplus10, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    First of all can anyone speak with any authority about the actual contract status’ for any of these guys?

Forget tracking allocation money since it’s proved impossible in the past, but don’t we get extra allocation for the Champions League?

We have 29 players currently on the roster. Limit is 30. Looking at salaries it seems Red Bull took the option to forgo filling roster spot # 20. So the 19 highest paid players make up the total team budget of $3,222,616 (players in roster spots 21-30 don’t count against the cap). The cap is $2,950,000. How did we manage to go over the cap? We probably had some allocation money sitting around. Not sure how much of Pearce’s salary we were paying either.

Cover:
    GK: Robles, Meara, Castano, Hartman
    RB: Holgersson, Barklage, Kimura
    CB: Olave, Holgersson, Sekagya, Miazga
    LB: Miller, Carney, Lade, Obekop
    RM: Alexander, Sam, Obekop
    CM: Dax, Cahill, Peggy, Alexander, Bustamante, Christianson, Bover
    LM: Steele, Carney, Lade
    ST: Henry, Espy, BWP, Cahill, Moreno, Akpan

In many ways this is going to be the easiest and most difficult off season ever. On one hand we aren’t breaking the bank with the salary cap so we could conceivably bring back just about the entire team. On the other hand we will have to take a draft player or 2 and it would be wise to sign another player or 2 from the academy as well to keep the young guys rolling in to eventually replace guys like Hartman, Henry, Peggy, Olave, Cahill, Sekagya when they retire/leave. However, bringing in players means you have to let go of others and I’m not really keen to let hardly anyone go.

The guys I’m on the fence about:

Akpan: He’s 25 and not going to get much better. However, he’s super cheap and tore up the reserve league. Good cheap backup, yes?

Bover: Good reports from the reserve league and really cheap, but he does take up an international spot, and does anyone really know where he fits in our long term plans? He’s a CAM yes?

Carney, Peggy, Sekagya, Sam, BWP: I’m lumping all these guys together because this was their first season in MLS. And if there is one CONSTANT that I have learned watching international players over the years it’s that their first year in MLS is usually mediocre and their second is usually stellar (look no further than Henry and Cahill, even Hulk has become a solid starter). None of these guys are blowing up the salary cap and you could make an argument one way or another for them. If I MUST let some of these guys go it’s Carney and Sekagya based on their salaries, age, and the fact that Carney will likely be gone for the World Cup. HOWEVER, that means we need immediate replacements at both CB, and LB/LM.

Hartman: I think it’s time to take him off the roster and make him part of the coaching staff. I know Red Bulls have always wanted 4 active GK’s on the roster for practice purposes only, but I think it’s a waste of a spot. Take him off the active roster and sign another young kid.

Espindola: You look at the stats and say “hey this guy really contributed” but I think any of us that watched the actual games know that for whatever reason he wasn’t able to fit in with what Mike and the rest of the team were doing tactically. Extremely frustrating player to watch for $150,000. Even guys like Steele and Alexander managed to win the hearts of the fans. I think we could stand to let him go provided what we get to replace him becomes a useful piece of the puzzle.

Kimura: $100k isn’t a lot when you look back on how much he was called on this year, and look he got the job done from time to time. However, I think we could find a draft pick, maybe Lade, or someone else in a trade for the same (or lower) cost that will give us better production from outside back.

Peggy: He came on strong late as an attacking mid, but he’s 34 and costs $80k. Not a lot of money mind you, but I’d be worried about injuries piling up and he isn’t someone we can build long term around.

Moreno: Didn’t light up the reserve league and didn’t show much in his Open Cup game. He’s young and inexpensive so there isn’t much risk keeping him. However, I feel like we read a lot of good things about Miazga and Castano, but never hear anything about Moreno. If one of the young guys MUST be cut in order to sign a better academy prospect (or a draft pick) I’d bet it’s Moreno.

Pearce: This is the big one. When he’s been healthy he’s one of the best LB’s in MLS. Can also cover at CB, LM, and even CDM. Not talented enough to make the USMNT which is a plus for us. However, his health and his salary will determine his fate. If his prognosis looks good and he’s willing to renegotiate his contact I’d re-sign him. If his health is a big question mark and/or he’s not willing to take a significant pay cut the Red Bulls have no choice but to show him the door. Also, if you cut Pearce do you keep Sekagya? If you cut Sekagya do you keep Pearce? The major action we see this off season will be what the Red Bulls do about Pearce.

In terms of overall team growth I think we need to start planning for life without Henry, and could use a little upgrade and outside back and outside mid. If that’s guys like BWP, Lade, Pearce, and Sam stepping up that’s great. If the coaching staff doesn’t believe that will be the case then those are the positions we need to fill.

dwsmith1972 and iced1776 repped this.
  9. DjTannerr

DjTannerr Member

Dec 3, 1999
    New York/Milwaukee,WI
    What's on my mind for next year:
    • Anticipating the World Cup, we'll probably only lose Cahill and Miller, but those are two starters.
    • The roster should be prepared for Champions League (and Open Cup), which means at least 2 players per position (a full second team). We actually almost have that.
      • -----------------Robles-------------------Holgersson-Olave-Sekagya-Miller-----Sam-----Dax---Cahill-----Steele-------------Henry---------BWP----------
      • -----------------Meara-------------------Barklage---Miazga---????---Lade--
        --Alexander-Peggy-Obekop-Carney--
        --------Espindola-------Akpan--------
    • Carney wasn't great, but isn't he suppose to be a LM? He had some pretty good crosses. I'd keep him as LM2
    • Steele and Alexander were two players that seemed like mediocre signings, but were great additions. Hopefully that means our scouting is getting better. I think there's a net positive with In/Out players.
    • First priority is good quick forward. BWP could be that guy, but Espindola isn't that guy anymore. We almost play a 4-5-1, with Dax, Cahill, and Henry floating around the middle, so I'm thinking someone who can get up quickly and is technically gifted. Maybe like Darren Mattocks?? Or maybe this is where DP3 comes in?

10. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The trick would be to sign that a younger DP3 before he has a chance to have that breakout World Cup;)

11. netsfan549

netsfan549 Member

Aug 31, 2007
    so can ppl admit that we missed roy miller? Carney kept getting beat!!

People I want gone Carney, Kimura, Alexander, And ESPY. oops I forgot his name the one that replaced Olave.

Players I want: Valencia from Timbers, and young forward that is active

12. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    After watching the Asian Champions League today I would love for the Red Bulls to sign a younger DP but also someone who has done very well in some top leagues.

Like, can we ever sign someone like Martín Cauteruccio, Sebastián Jaime, or a Luis Carlos Ruiz. Get a big name scorer from South America or even Europe. Really make use of this market and get away from the usual over 30 marquees. I mean, if China can do it with guys like Elkeson, Muriqui, and Dario bloody Conca then why not us?

13. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you want Alexander gone? He can play in the middle or out wide and isn't too expensive if I remember correctly.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  14. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I thought Alexander had a very good season for us. Although sometimes he was very defensive for my liking he also showed moments of pure brilliance where he looked like Diego Maradonna. Imo, he's an above average central midfielder and an average midfielder when deployed on the right. For 75k(i think that's his price) and for the positions he can cover that's a steal. Not to mention he's going to be needed next year more so with the CCL and hopefully more ambitious plans at the USOC.

I really don't get why people want Pegguy gone. I understand he's a horrible finisher but he's a talented player and at a price of $70k or so that's a good deal. TBH, I think he's the #10 if we want to play with one.

15. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's not that I want him gone, but I assume he'll want more money. That $70K was a foot in the door price. Having proven he can still play, he may well be ready to test the waters for a better situation.

16. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alexander gave us great production and protection at CM and RM for a great price. He's exactly the type of player you want on an MLS roster.

As far as Peggy the thing I'm worried about is injuries. I think he proved at the end of the season that he can be a very good CAM and I think that European rule will apply here and he'll have a better 2nd season than first. However, he's really up there in age and although his price tag is low I'd be worried that we could use that spot better if he's going to be injured the whole time. Ultimately it's going to come down to price. If he does NOT ask for a raise then we could stand to take a low risk high reward approach with him. I'm on the fence. If we let him go I won't be too upset with it. I trust Petke and Roxburg to make the right decisions this off season.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the heck is our draft situation?

18. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    We could use a better strike partner for Henry, maybe some wingers, maybe CB depth, maybe a creative attacking mid, maybe a RB if Barklage doesnt ever get back in form. I also dont wanna see Carney at LB anymore.

I would say Henry, Cahill, Dax, Olave, Holg, Robles are where we definitely dont need upgrades, (and Cahill can play up top or in the middle). Sam was pretty good at the end of the season though. I wouldn't mind a more dangerous LW than Steele

19. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another option I think we should look into is trading Robles. I understand he's a very good player but right now his trade value is the highest and we can afford to get rid of him with a up and coming backup in Meara(who was very good in 2012 before his injury and who I think is actually better than Robles). Buy low, sell high.

Don't really know the market for a very good MLS GK and I'm not sure who we can get exactly but it's something we should look into. We can possibly get allocation, draft picks, players or a combination of the three. If we can land a good striker or LB for Robles we should do it and never look back.

20. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

Roxbury and Petke I think are in the right direction, but have to do a little more, firstly; stop the love for old stars and look the other way. Second; even if they are not first class stars, bring young players national or internationals with hungry that have experience and aptitude to play the spot that the team need or where they will play and start "ASAP" a team on the second division to train, develop and grow our internationals or locals youngsters.....

(To MLS authority: Reward as a incentive MLS Teams that start teams immediately on the second division, letting them to interchange player with first team all season long)

We don't have a CAM at the beginning of the year and have not a CAM at the end of the years also....
    We don't have a LB at the beginning and not a LB at the end, Miller or Carney are not what we need.....
    We don't have a LW at the beginning and not a LW at the end,
    We have deficiency on the RB position, Barklage, since the beginning I been saying he isn't a Defender and Kamura isn't the answer.....

I thing that Barklage is the answer to the RW is his original position on RB he isn't productive enough.....

The old age of players in the most important spots of the team is a handicap and the RB have to correct that if one day want to get that CUP or become a strong and competitive team in the MLS and the region.....

Soccer like any other sport where running is a most, age, stamina and position are a edge, if a player is old or playing outside his position, his rendition and the rendition of the players around him will diminished, by consequence turning the 1 or 2% God give vantage in a 1 or 2% handicap.....

This year winning the SS was a very good feat and will give us the satisfaction of hear our team competing internationally, but will be a better sound if they will compete as the MLS Champions....

21. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly every player has a price, so if we are offered enough its not a bad play. I just don't think we will be offered enough. I think for next season we should look into turn Cahill into a full time forward, with spot midfield appearance and get another center midfielder

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say this: Soccer is a business and especially in a salary capped league hardly any player is safe. Just about the only 2 guys I think they wouldn't let go no matter how much they were offered are Dax and Cahill. Both players play roles that are vital, roles where we don't have much depth, and play them at an extremely high level.

If Robles were to go it would simply be because he has the unfortunate position of having high value right now and an MLS starting quality keeper right behind him (and one of the best true academy GK's in Castano behind him).

This club finally seems like it's on the right track and with that we will all have to accept the fact that to sustain the club you need to sell/trade players when they're value is high.

Another thing we need to consider is that although some guys may not have a lot of flash in the pan their durability and overall cost make them valuable. So if you have 2 guys at every position who can simply get the job done then say 3-4 game breakers you're in a pretty good spot.

GK: Robles, Meara, Castano (Would be a bit of a gamble to let Robles go. Yes, Meara is ready for primetime, but if he gets injured I don't trust Castano to get the job done...YET. In the future? Yes, but not at the moment).

RB: Hulk (Sorry but Barklage is too injury prone. We need another body).

CB: Olave, Hulk, Sekagya (Miazga isn't ready yet. We should look to get another young CB because Olave and Sekagya will start to decline...and if you're playing Hulk as a RB then...well...)

LB: Miller, Pearce (These are both solid MLS LB's. This spot is fine unless they're unloading Pearce. In that case we would need another starting quality LB. Not an academy guy or a draft pick.)

RM: Sam, Alexander (both these guys can get the job done and I predict Sam will have a much better year next year. We need to sign some wingers from academy/college to grow with Obekop though because they will probably be needed in about 2-3 years).

CM: Dax, Cahill, Alexander (we need to get a high quality CM/CAM prospect in our ranks. Otherwise we're fine here. I expect Alexander to become a very solid CM in the next couple years).

LM: Steele, Carney (Carney is a bit of a gamble, but I believe he'd be better used at LM and would have a good season in this role. So we're covered. Like I said about RM though we need to stock up on good young wingers).

ST: Henry, Cahill, BWP (I want Espindola gone. I believe BWP will have a very good year next year. But we also have to plan with Henry having a massive dropoff. Get rid of Espindola and get a stirker who plays better in the system Mike wants).

I'd like to note that it's important not to shake up the roster TOO much. If you can sell/trade a guy for a great return, or let go of some guys that are not in the long term plans of the club then those are the guys you cut to plan better for the future. IMO those possible guys would be Sekagya, Carney, Pearce, Barklage, Espindola, Peggy, Hartman, Kimura, Bover, Akpan, Moreno, and as much as I hate to say it...Robles. Those are the guys that will immediately be on the chopping block. Not all of them will go, but some of them will.

So in summary the following would be my off season moves. Now it may not be possible to achieve all of these, and of course everything depends on who you let go, but addressing at least 3 of the below with quality talent would be fine.

1. A starting quality RB. Not an academy guy and not a college guy unless they are off the charts talented. This guy needs to be ready to play NOW.
    2. We need a CB that maybe isn't ready to start next season, but isn't too far away. If we can trade up for a high draft pick to get one of the best CB's in the draft I'd do it this off season.
    3. Get some good wingers from the academy/college and start their process now.
    4. An off the charts CM/CAM on the younger side. This is where we should currently spend the 3rd DP spot. When Henry is finished we re-examine what the team's current attacking needs are and we do or don't spend his vacated DP spot on that.
    5. One more decent striker. Espindola level production (stats wise), but a better player for Mike's system.

dwsmith1972 and jeremydneezy repped this.
  23. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree with most of the stuff on here. Though if we are to sign another RB we have to get rid of Kimura for sure (which I am not against). I think getting another CM is more of a priority than a CB because its solid CB's aren't as difficult to find in MLS historically. I am also hoping the team signs up Chris Lema to a professional deal this offseason. Hands down our best CM prospects and one of the better US midfielders in his age group

24. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good summation. I agree that the two most pressing issues are a new, youngish CM and a starting RB.
    I like Holgersson far more at CB as long as Olave is there for cover. He impressed me with his reading of the game this season. I also like fullbacks to have the skill set to be tricky on the touchline going forward, something Holgersson does not offer.
    I want RBNY to use the third DP spot on a solid two-way center mid that is entering the prime of their career and is a sturdy physical presence. I'm thinking along the lines of someone like Markus Henriksen at AZ Alkmaar. He would be tough to get but I'm just using him as an exapmle of the type of player I would want us to target.
    I'm more bullish on Miazga than @kokoplus10 and think he can contribute next year. He needs more game time, for sure, but every time I watch him play he doesn't seem out of his depth. I think he is a fixture at CB in two or three years.

25. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Extra 100k in allocation estimated since we qualified for champions league.

dwsmith1972 repped this.