Off-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by UnionBulldog, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coudet is from Argentine, right?

Don't cry for me ...

2. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to Philly Riquelme!!!

LuckyStriker repped this.
  3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tBG has a pretty good guess at who it is, even though I didn't read where THREE players were hinted at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Manuel_Quevedo

I don't know how old the pictures are, but the Dynamo put out pics of him and a Costa Rican trialist on their site:
    http://www.houstondynamo.com/content/international-players-trial
    Actually, the fact that Cruz is in a pic or two should put some kind of time stamp on it.

4. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    That really works out because what this team is sorely lacking is more midfielders.

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's been the team's Achilles Heel since its inception.

-EDIT-

Seems that Quevedo was on trial with the Dynamo back in 2010.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/houston-dynamo-v-cd-Águila-6-19.1462385/

6. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some Quevedo tidbits:

* the 28 year old Argentine/Italian dual-citizen does play a central midfield role (playmaker/attacking midfielder) which matches Kerith Gabriel's comment

* his 2010 trial with Houston certainly makes him more of an option than others - based on the Houston B.S. board, he was looking for the average salary of the Dynamo roster but apparently Houston/MLS did not want to give it to him.

* his current club is Union Magdalena in the Colombian B Division (9 goals in 35 games) - he is a journeyman who has also played in the Argentina B Division (Sarmiento, Temperley, Estudientes de Caseros), Uruguay Premier Division (Rampla Juniors), Chile Premier Division (Palestino) after starting with San Lorenzo in the Argentina Premier Division.

* he played for Magdalena on October 11 (against America - former team of Roger Torres) but did not play in the October 14 game against Bogota.

http://www.soccerway.com/players/juan-quevedo/59399/
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/juan-manuel-quevedo/bilanz/spieler_120332.html

7. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The theory is that he could be a less expensive replacement for Adu. The reality is that he is another Kai Herdling. (Disclaimer: I have never heard of him prior to today.)

8. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    not sure about Sarmiento but Temperley and Estudiantes de BA are 3rd division. They play in the Metropolitana. Just below B.

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    According to his Wikipedia page en espanol, he already plays for the Union. Well, Colombian second division side Union Magdalena, that is.

You can also read more about that transfer from here: http://www.elinformador.com.co/inde...l-ascenso&catid=58:futbol-nacional&Itemid=386
    Personally, I think it's fantastic that we're angling after Colombian second division players. It sure beats going after players with previous MLS experience.​

By the way, there is a great comment from someone in that article above: "vuelve el circo a abrir su carpa, con nuevos payasos no se lo pierdan jaja" or, in rough English, "The circus returns to open its tent with new clowns. Don't miss it!" Kinda sums up our franchise.

11. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meet the new boss... same as the old boss...

12. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I have to agree, we have enough attacking midfielders, Adu, Roger, Marfan, Keon, Gomez, Pfeffer.....etc....

I mean he COULD just be a training camp body, and I know we will probably have a bunch of roster turn over this season but I think they need to look at target forward and the back line if they want to add depth....

13. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    jaja. clasico. but so true.

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because he's in camp doesn't mean he's a lock to join the team. Plenty of guys have been with the squad this season who haven't panned out - Patrick Kanyuka, Aubrey Perry, Andreas Chronis, Lance Laing, <blank> Richards, Christian Ibeagha - with some doing the trialist-musical-chairs thing and working with multiple teams over a short period of time.

15. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I did say he could be a camp body or was that part invisible on your monitor?

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, not invisible jackwagon. I was agreeing with you.

I find it odd that Kerith would single him out, saying he was an impressive player who is strong on the ball, but not give any more information than that. Especially after doing their 3 "Meet the Trialists" articles. I mean, we have additional trialists on top of Mkosana, Kassel, and Richter that, as of yet, they're not really acknowledging as much: Laing, Richards, Argentine-guy.

Like billf said, same as the old boss?

17. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    my bad dills

I guess here is to hoping that Hack doesn't have to try to make chicken salad out of chicken shit next season.

Dills repped this.
  18. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He went from Sarmiento to Union Magdalena in the Colombian B Division (Nowak and Gutierrez at least stuck with Colombian Primera A League players ;)).Soccerway is one of the better sites for getting that type of current club info for a player as it lists the actual games in which a player appears - he has been playing as of late but did not play in this past Sunday's game which is why his name remains a possibility as a Union trialist given that game was the last one of the season for Magdalena so Quevedo is likely free to trial anywhere. He has not scored this 2012 Clausura (Fall season) but scored 9 goals in the 2012 Apertura (Spring season).

http://us.soccerway.com/players/juan-quevedo/59399/

For photos and videos of Quevado, you can see them here:

http://www.juanmanuelquevedo.com.ar/juanmanuel.php

alessandro2016 and Dills repped this.
  19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOOOOOMG. trailist galore and some of them are from south america and 2nd tier teams.
    i'm giddy

21. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is going to take Adu? FC Tucson?

22. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Arshavin is open to moving to the MLS and Nick Sack was in England looking for strikers . . .

:whistling:

23. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, imagine what he'd cost?

I don't care. Pay it.

24. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to start a rumor just suggest a reasonable possibility. I'd love for us to get Jonathan Bornstein and fix our LB problem. He's currently getting very little time at Tigres (about 10 games in 3 years) due to a logjam at the position with Carlos Salcido and Jorge Torres Nilo ahead of him, both of whom are regulars for the Mexican National Team. He's probably starving for some playing time and he could see MLS as an option since he had a lot of success here. I'm not sure what his contract situation is but I'm sure Tigres would release him or transfer him cheaply. He was selected by Portland in their expansion draft on November 24, 2010 but only hold his rights until November 24th of this year, after that we would only have to go through the allocation order to get him. He'd have to come cheap, around 200K-250K imo.

What do you guys think about Bornstein?

25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link for that?

Isn't our strike force already pretty small? Arshavin would make Hoppenot look like Manute Bol.
    I'd take Bornstein in a heartbeat. And given our current run of form, we'll be pretty high up the allocation order when it gets reset. Surely there's a Hackworth-Bornstein connection somewhere, right? Hack was USMNT assistant from 2007-2009; Bornstein was first capped for the nat'l team in 2007.

-------------

So the word is that Nick is "overseas" scouting players, etc. Anyone hear what Hack had to say on the latest 90th Minute? He's not opposed to bringing in foreign players per se, as long as they're the right fit, but it sounds like he's more included to pull a Yallop and wheel-and-deal for American players within the league.