Off-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by UnionBulldog, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Far be it from the Union to turn down someone's $130.

2. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, shrimpin' ain't easy...............

3. Romano/Rojo

Romano/Rojo Member

May 1, 2000
    Boondocks
  4. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whole thing sounds a bit fishy to me..............

KensingtonSC, R1PP and TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weren't we reading about this last week? Or was that an alternate reality where things don't make sense?

Romano/Rojo repped this.
  6. Romano/Rojo

Romano/Rojo Member

May 1, 2000
    Boondocks
    Desperate measures for Pescadito, currently with no team.... 'Let's lie and make up some BS for me to make dollars off of MLS"....

beware! Doop!

7. etsjay

etsjay Member

Oct 31, 2011
    PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LuckyStriker repped this.
  8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know who the 3 reporters are that make up @MLSTransfers, but they tweeted this little nugget this morning:

I'm thinking, personally, that if the guy's being courted it should be done so before the summer transfer window opens. Surely there's gotta be some FIFA dates where Grafite's current club isn't playing. Why wait until July to show him the team's facilities?

9. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Facilities? you mean the stadium?

Handsome Pete, jess370 and thomas19064 repped this.
  10. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So The Union may address its lack of size at forward with Armani (via a loan through June 2013) and then he could be replaced (and returned to Tiro Federal) or supplemented with Grafite.

On another note, the same twitter account posted:

MLS Transfers@MLSTransfers
    REPORT: Philadelphia Union Def. Chris Albright to announce retirement after MLS Cup. #Doop #MLS #MLStransfers

11. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe by then we'll have actual facilities? Or at least construction underway?

12. fcobbina

fcobbina Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if he visited our facilities earlier, he still probably won't be able to join us until the UAE season is over.

13. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money talks.

14. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't be silly, we'll just make an empty promise to him that they are being built......

trzee, jess370, BuddhaWake and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His contract runs through June 2013. I like Zman Gunner 's train of thought ... bring Armani (Exchange) in now on a short-term loan and IF he works out make a deal to sign him permanently, and if he's a bust then Grafite could arrive in the summer. It almost makes too much sense for this FO, though.

Regarding Albright's retirement announcement, could this be?

Didn't the team say there could be a coaching announcement soon? I can't find where I read it.

16. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grafite? 9 goals in 28 appearances in his last year with Wolfsburg. Ho-hum. I don't know how many minutes he played in those games, but that's a rather unremarkable record with a mediocre side. If he recaptures his 08-09 form, he'd light up MLS. However, he's 33 now so that's not very likely. McInerney would score more goals than him.

Armani looks pretty underwhelming as well.

I would rather see the team acquire a proven MLS vet such as Cooper than another question mark from overseas, but it seems the ship is not sailing in that direction.

17. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    what they should do is bring him to a game as the Union's selling point is the fans and atmosphere. Unless a public park as a practice facility is all the rave now.

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B-b-b-b-but didn't you see the highlight video of that one impressive goal from 2009?!

19. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry scored 4 in 21 for Barca before coming to the Cows. We all know how that worked out. Grafite won a championship and scored a goal ever two games in the Bundesliga. Sign him up for me.

20. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 goals and 2 assists in 22 starts. That was good enough to tie Grafite for 19th most goals in the Bundesliga that season. And last I checked, playing on a bad team against better teams made it harder, not easier, to score goals.

08-09 was a fluke; but other than that great year, he was a consistent 10-12 goal scorer in the Bundesliga for the last few years before retiring to Al-Ahly. If he can retain that form, and translate it to 12-15 goals in MLS, he'd be a good addition (at the right price, of course).

I would also love for the Union to sign Kenny Cooper, last year's second-leading goal scorer. Wondolowski would be nice, too. Or Will Bruin, for that matter. But nine goals in MLS this year would have been good enough for 14th in the Golden Boot race. Not superstar, but not ho-hum either.

Short version: Nine goals is more than any Union player scored last year, and more than any Union player in any season other than Le Toux in '10 and '11. If that's ho-hum, we could use some more ho-hum.

21. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's seriously too bad that we'd have to wait until July and hope the Armani bridges the gap. Looking at the way two of the three years went, the U were out of the hunt come July. MLS is one of those leagues where things change considerably from the start of the year, Portland looked great in March for instance, but you really need to stay in touching distance and be capable of making a long unbeaten run for that to matter. Houston is great at this, but they have a solid core. I'm not sure we do.

22. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are still talking about a guy who is 33 now and won't be signed until the July transfer window, if the rumors are true. That's too little, too late, and unless Grafite finds DeRo-like late career form, I can't see him carrying us to anything better than a marginal playoff position. I just don't think he's the answer.

23. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kris Boyd?

24. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Marginal playoff positions" make it to MLS Cup. See Galaxy, Los Angeles, 2012 and Dynamo, Houston, 2012.

Amscray and BuddhaWake repped this.
  25. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    F*** no. Or did we forget how well our last Portland reject forward was?

I know that the UAE is not a great league so I'm not going to use that as any sort of barometer of how he would cope in MLS. However, he is having a battle right now with Asamoah Gyan (whom I'm pretty sure people would fall all over themselves to get here) for the scoring title. Gyan has got 17 goals in 9 games and Grafite has 16 in 8 (both of those numbers are ludicrous by the way). If he can even score half (or even a third) as much as he does in the UAE than I think we'd all be pretty damn ecstatic.

derek750 and Dills repped this.