Off-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by UnionBulldog, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allgo

allgo Member

Jun 6, 2011
    over/under on Ruiz?

if this happens be interesting to see the fans who ripped him to shreds if he comes in scoring goals like a striker does on most teams....ya know something we aren't used to seeing here....

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's just way too much baggage with Ruiz ... his time in MLS prior to joining the Union (LAG, FCD, TFC), his time WITH the Union, and how everything went down when he left. Maybe we can take the DNA of Le Toux and Ruiz, combine their best attributes in a petri dish, wait 20+ years, and come out on the other end with a super striker that everybody can be happy with.

3. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlien Le Chooch? I'd sign him.

Dills repped this.
  4. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget about "blasts from the past", forget about the "IRS issues" and forget about the fact that some fans didn't "like" Ruiz. The only question is this: Would Carlos Ruiz make the Union a better team? There is no doubt that the answer is: YES.

5. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May have been the only Union fan to not have a problem with either Ruiz or LeToux...but my offer to the Goats still stands:

Take the hired gun (Carlos)
    Leave the Cannoli (Agudelo)

*agree totally with acquiring 2 forwards

6. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Define "better". ;)

8. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed, but there is also another question - are there better, realistic options?
    It would be foolish to ignore the baggage issues Dills mentions, too.

9. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Would Carlos Ruiz be a good scorer? Yes. That doesn't necessarily mean he makes the Union a better team.

10. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team is more likely to win more game with him than without him.

I agree that there may be better options out there, but as it currently stands, the team would be better off with him that without him. If we also had the opportunity to get Grafite or Keane or Messi, then the question might change.

I know that this is too simplistic, but from 2010 through the present, what was the Union's record when Ruiz played and what was their record when he did not play or was not on the team?

11. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Like I said, he'll score goals for the Union. That's great. That doesn't make the Union a better team because he's on the roster, though.

12. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBG's piece on the Brazilian did spark a bit of thought for me.
    What if Grafite is a legit summer option? Do they move on the Argentine and wait it out?

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By then it could be too late for him to have a legitimate impact on the team.

14. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Grafite is a legit summer option, then he should be a legit winter option as well as long as the transfer fee is reasonable.

aztec21bas repped this.
  15. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very few teams have the ability to wait until July to start their playoff run. The Chicago Fire and Sporting Kansas Cityare the only ones that spring to mind recently. The Union needs help immediately. If they wait for something that might come to fruition during the summer, it will probably be too late for a playoff push. So to answer the question, if we can sign anyone of value now, it MUST be done!, independent of what is done in the summer transfer window.

This is the one way that Al O' Cayshun might actually help the Union.

DaMunk repped this.
  16. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos Ruiz would be a better option than what we currently have.

That being said, I don't want the team to sign him because it's the, "easy thing to do." (This goes for Le Toux, as well). Ruiz is ANOTHER year older, and he does carry some pretty big MLS baggage. I'd keep him on the short list, but I'd hate to commit to someone this early in the off-season. For what we'd have to pay, in addition to losing a spot in the allocation order, I'd rather wait and see what options may be present in December & January.

17. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a salary cap league, with a limited senior roster, this is never the only question. There is an opportunity cost to signing any player.

The question is, is Ruiz the best way the Union can use a senior, international roster spot and the amount of cap space he'll demand?

derek750 repped this.
  18. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while i was a big fan of both of these players when they were on the team, bringing them back is the FO reaching. there time here is over, we need a REBUILD not a MAKEOVER.

SoccerPrime and AmericanMackem repped this.
  19. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What baggage with the Union. Didn't he just leave because of the money? ;)

urchin repped this.
  20. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bringing back old players can work. Since your handle has NHL in it we can use an example from there - Mark Recchi. When he came back to the Flyers he was still a very good player for us. Ron Francis also left the Whalers and returned to the Hurricanes (same franchise) and that worked out well too. Jeremiah Trotter is another example of a player returning to Philly that worked out. Some times bringing a player back can work other times it doesn't. A lot of times when a player is brought back it is at the end of their careers and that will usually have the player not playing like they use to. Both Ruiz and Le Toux did well here and neither have been gone long. Now I wouldn't say both should come back as they didn't work well together but one or the other could provide a serious scoring threat. I liked both players and recognized their flaws but the key thing they both did was put the ball in the net.

It is just my personal preference but I would like to see Ruiz over Le Toux. Ruiz has proven he can score no matter what - see US vs Guatemala in WC qualifiers. Where Le Toux has only shown he can score when in the correct atmosphere.

SKC last year was a different animal as they played most of the first half of the season away while Livestrong was being finished. The second half saw them play most of their games at home and that made a huge difference in their second half surge. I do agree though that it is not likely that the U could bury themselves in the first half and then sign someone and magically turn it around. It would only work if they were close to a playoff spot then made a big signing in the summer to boost them up the table.

21. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm a bit misunderstood. Not talking about tanking first half. I'm saying Union have a number of needs. Given they're in negotiations for an international South America signing up front currently, and we're talking about significant assets for a "known" 2nd in Ruiz, IF Grafite is legit about wanting to come.........

and can't get out of UAE before summer............

Couldn't Philly make that signing(Armani) and bypass Ruiz to make the second move(on a F ) in July ?

22. UnionTillIDie

UnionTillIDie Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Section CI
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'd take Ruiz back again. But like all MLS deals, it only makes sense for the right money. $150-175k? Sure, welcome back Carlos. >$200k? Um, sorry, we're good!

As for the FO, if they would bring him back, I sure would hope that someone down there on the water front apologizes to the fans for the way things went down when they got rid of him the 1st time. Although we still have a group of numb-nuts who still believe to this day that their supreme leader (Nowak) was right in that is was the fans fault for why they sold Carlos, I would hope someone has the balls to say the truth. That Nowak was an idiot willing to blame anyone for his dumb moves that destroyed this team and the rest FO just went along with it.

23. trzee

trzee Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Aston, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty hard to believe anyone out there in our community is supportive of Nowak or his player/personnel moves that tore up a playoff team. As for the FO, I think they wanted a stable club structure (i.e. NOT TFC) and thought supporting their coach was the way to make that happen. Then they realized the coach was destabilizing things, arguably defrauding them, and had to about face. Just my two cents there.

I agree with you that Ruiz is an option but only at the right price (that's everyone, right?) He's a great MLS poacher, but with Jack Mac developing his talent, I wouldn't be as willing to pay a lot for a Ruiz.

Anyway, glad to hear all the positive discussion on the transfer front. It's good to feel that the Union have options. I'm encouraged by Hack's trip to Argentina. Shows there is at least some interest in building this team back up to competitiveness.

DoctorD repped this.
  24. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you want the truth, or do you just want validation of your bias?

From my personal experience over the few months he was here, a league legend was thrown racial epithets from his own fans in multiple parts of the stadium as he was leading the team in scoring and single handedly winning points for the team in the standings. What do you think is more realistic, a player wanting to take a step down to the 2nd division in Mexico for a small raise, or saying "fck this" and skipping town. Maybe he hopes now you all realized the error in your ways when your idol Le Toux led this team to flop big time in the second half of the season.

Agreeing with Nowak's statement that it was mostly the fans fault doesn't seem too farfetched from what my experiences in the river end and in other sections was. That said, Nowak did a lot of stupid shit and made a mess of things that could have been avoided. Doesn't make me a fanboy to believe a statement I have first hand evidence to back up.

25. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if he wasn't so lazy.

TonyClarkDOOP repped this.