Off-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by UnionBulldog, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't mean the last year is locked in. For a buyout they may have to pay him for all obligated and optional contract years. Where's Zman with the MLS rulebook?

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's busy spell-checking it before he submits it to the league before tomorrow's roster compliance deadline.

jess370 and SmashtheVan repped this.
  3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, the team would have to spend $1.3 million to gain a $300k in budget and a roster space. It sucks, but their hands are tied by Nowak picking up the contract and Adu not fitting in for whatever reason. Also, as much as I'd like to think they'd use the space on max salary player, I think they'd just use the spot on one of the guys they cut last week.

4. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except it's really about negotiating power, not the ever-changing MLS rulebook. If Adu's contract ends after this season (in which he'll earn around $650K) and Freddy only has a team option for next year, he really has no leverage to push for a $1.3 million buyout. If you really think MLS has a rule in place that forces teams to pay players for option years when buying somebody out, think again. It's nonsensical and in direct opposition to the way the league generally operates.

Here's another link that cites the $1.3 million figure as "his deal in full": http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/socce...k-adu-not-biting-quakes-injuries-more?cc=5901

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *cough*