OFC should get 1 full spot

Discussion in 'Oceania' started by Therk, Oct 10, 2009.

1. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If Asia and Oceania combined you could use regional tournaments to narrow the field down to, say, 16 teams. Have a certain number of spots for the Middle East, Central Asia, South Asia, East/Southeast Asia, and Oceania.

2. gummy-bear83

gummy-bear83 Member

May 24, 2010
    Piombino, Tuscany.
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wait for Tahiti performance at the Confederations cup before claiming that Oceania deserves a full spot.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  3. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I don't care. You name it "World Cup"? Well, then OFC gets the right of a full spot. Otherwise, they're only making fun of them.

4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    come on let's not be silly... when the confederations one decent team leaves for another confederation that says something... playing in a larger confederation like AFC consistently will do a world of good for football in this region..

5. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Japan played a lot of time in AFC confederation, just like USA in the CONCACAF: none of them did well in 70's and 80's. By creating a professional league, they did better: so let's create this professional leagues and OFC's teams will do just fine.

6. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tahiti's going to get destroyed...

I dunno why they simply haven't forfeited their matches. Their participation is a waste of time to all the serious teams here. Even San Marino would put up more of a fight than these guys.

7. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    They haven't because - thank god - there's not only multimillionaire players in the world that play football. I know I'll enjoy a lot watching them. They'll play for fun. Much more than I would've had watching Nigeria - New Zealand.

Latin Pride and Whispered11 repped this.
  8. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Football is about beauty. And beauty isn't only about Spain or Brazil; it takes care also of these stories, wonderful and strange.

9. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now Tahiti scored an own goal to make it 4-1 Nigeria.

These guys are OFC's champion? What a joke.

New Zealanders, how on earth did you guys lose to them?

10. gummy-bear83

gummy-bear83 Member

May 24, 2010
    Piombino, Tuscany.
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Actually New Zealand lost 2:0 to New Caledonia.

11. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wait, you think Tahiti was the joke of the day?

Polemarch repped this.
  12. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Anyway, the 6-1 against Nigeria makes nothing but confirm what I'm sayin': if you don't give OFC a full spot, they'll never get better. They need challenge like this to used to this kind of football. Otherwise, you just want to make fun of them.

13. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Well at least Tahiti made history by scoring
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22896351
    and why do u guys want a full spot if Australia is already pretty much a guarantee to make it to the WC and they can represent Oceania

14. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Australia plays in Asia.

Whispered11 repped this.
  15. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    yeah they play in asia but they are considered oceania anyway

16. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not for FIFA purposes. Australia's accomplishments are AFC accomplishments.

Whispered11 repped this.
  17. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    well not for FIFA purposes but in the global stage they are oceania and like i said they have already qualified so even though they are playing in AFC people know theyre oceania

18. Abu Dubai

Abu Dubai Member

Jun 20, 2013
    UAE: Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    I support giving Oceania 1 automatic spot. Asia didn't do enough to prove it deserves a 5th automatic spot. New Zealand in 2010 got better results in the world cup group than most Asian teams in history.

19. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    The OFC already has the easiest path to the WC in the world if they don't have team good enough to beat an AFC or CONCACAF team in a home and away then they shouldn't have a WC representative. They should still be required some difficulty to make a WC spot New Zealand beating Tahiti isn't enough of a challenge.

Also if you think OFC countries getting an automatic spot into the WC will prevent Tahiti from getting blown out by the countries that make the confederations cup then you need to follow this sport closer

20. Abu Dubai

Abu Dubai Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    If most people are against 1 automatic spot for Oceania, another method is letting winner of Oceania play the 5th best of Asia. With this, Asia and Oceania can have 5 guaranteed spots between themselves. It's better for both confeds than losing 1 spot to N. & S. America.

21. Abu Dubai

Abu Dubai Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    Correction: 2 spots.

22. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I heard Concacaf might get a few extra spots. I'm sure they could spare half a spot to OFC.

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Excuse my ignorance, but why don't the Oceania nations join Asia as well? Would that not help improve the teams?

Also, what allowed Oceania to form its own federation? The Caribbean nations could split from COMNEBOL and form their own federation and earn a right to a play-in game. That would get any of those nations further along than they normally do.

24. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Logistical and economical reasons. Imagine if Saudi Arabia had to play in Fiji.
    And Fiji probably wouldn't be able to afford to play there.
    The only way OFC could unite with AFC it would be if things stay as their are, and then the top winner (in this case, NZ) plays in the final AFC qualifier round too. But then AFC should get another spot...

25. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    OFC played in AFC qualifiers before, but I guess with the AFC expanded since, then they will cry foul of losing such a placing in the final round.

OFC, for their football to improve in general really do need to integrate into a final playoff system with some one though. It's no good playing a two legged playoff - possibly playoffs should be expanded to smaller group phases, might make it harder for OFC in the near future but long term make them better?