Observation During the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Master O, Feb 3, 2013.

1. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    probably not. Because even if you live in some backwater town there is always a local college football team to support. And a lot of the American football culture comes from college football.

2. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    They may sing, but the difference is that it's the team management, bands, bunch of half-naked girls trying to pump up the crowd in American-football. Feels very plasticky and artificial. It's a joke.

Just a quick Youtubing.

Last one is from Liverpool 1970.

3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not how it is everywhere or with every song/chant.

Oh, and:

Liga MX has cheerleaders ... Argentina has cheerleaders ... Brazil does to ... so does Australia ... and Chile ... England and France have them for basketball ... etc etc ... Cheerleaders are everywhere guy.

England has a Supporter's Band: http://www.englandband.com/index.shtml

4. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I watch average 3-4 matches a week, but don't remember last time I saw half-naked girls coming in front of the crowd and trying to get the crowd going LOL. So its the supporters who use some instruments, not hired and paid by the team management LOL.

5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL

Facts are still facts. Try, as you do, you can't refute them.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Then I guess you don't watch Mx or Arg. They're there.

7. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Don't wacht MX, but some Arg(Boca and Riverplate) once in a while.
    They may have it before the game and maybe for the half-time thing or whatever, but don't really recall seeing them during the game.

8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which does nothing to refute the FACTS of the matter. They exist, they're there, and they are in places that you consider to be "proper."

Deal with it.

Timon19 repped this.
  9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'd do a Let Me Google That For You search for "Argentina football cheerleaders", but I'm lazy and at work.

10. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to argue that the NFL encourages a particularly "authentic" fan experience. I think it's unrealistic to expect that type of atmosphere in the world's biggest, most corporate league. I don't think NFL fans care all that much, though. They have their own fan culture that's different from European soccer, but it is a thriving one. You just have to visit the parking lot and observe tailgate culture to see what it's like.

So, yeah, there isn't as much singing at NFL games. So what?

On the other hand, if you want to sing during games, there are plenty of college football games where the fans seem to have their damn fight song on an endless loop :) Pretty much all of the traditions and organizations at college football games (the bands, cheerleaders, mascots etc.) are unpaid student volunteers.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFAIK, St. Louis, Missouri natives would give up the Rams (NFL) over their beloved Cardinals (MLB) without needing any time to think about it.

Chesco United repped this.
  12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. Comparing Euro or SA soccer leagues to American pro leagues kind of misses the important role that college sports play in the USA.

13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As much as it pains me to encourage him, he does have a point for once. They don't have cheerleaders, they have dancing girls. They don't lead any cheers, nor cheer anything themselves, and are invariably there at half-time/pre-match, not during the game.

AS for the England band, I'm amazed they've got this far without being beaten up. They are not exactly popular.

One of the most scathing condemnations of them came form Chris England is his cracking book "No More Buddha, Only Football", about covering the 2002 world cup in Japan for Talksport (who were too tight to give him proper press accreditation). They'd wangled a freebie into some British Embassy bash, and were telling him about the "England Test" they have, to tell if someone is a real England fan or not. They pulled out a printed scarf from the 1970s which featured the faces of players from the era, saying a true England fan could name them.

The thing was, they couldn't name all the players. They were so stupid that they set themselves up as great England fans, and devised a test to see if others were worthy of that accolade, even though they failed the test themselves.

It's just that very same complete lack of irony that has them playing "the great escape" when England are comfortably 2-0 up.

14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is involvement during the match. It isn't exactly like our cheerleaders (which in all fairness our soccer "cheerleaders" are like the South American dancers/etc more so than American Football cheerleaders) here for most sports but there is in game involvement some times. You are correct though, in where most of their involvement is.

It's more about the way DCU1996 presents things though rather than the ticky tack details of it. He's once again claiming that America does something that is absolutely 100% done here only. That's not the case. Sure, the degrees are varying but PLENTY of footballing, and strong footballing countries have a degree of these things. Just like everything else, their implementation is different based on where they are.

I mean, I could have attacked his "corporate" tidbit with these "dancing" girls and how they're nothing but walking billboards and corporate showpieces for beer ....... but, you know.

15. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And being at work means that you can't do a search for "half-naked girls" either.

16. Hill Giant

Hill Giant Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not really, here in Brazil is very rare see Cheerleaders on soccer matches.

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Timon19 repped this.
  18. Hill Giant

Hill Giant Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I never said that never happens. I said that it's rare, and that's the truth. But maybe you know better what happens in my country.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I would presume from that picture and the level of organization apparent therein that this happens every home game for this particular team.

So, what does "rare" mean in your world?

HailtotheKing repped this.
  20. Hill Giant

Hill Giant Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're right, the word "rare" it's not the most adequate for what i was trying to say. What i mean is that the most of brazilians clubs don't have cheerleaders. Some few have, but belive me almost anybody cares about this kind of stuff here.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I don't think anyone accused Santos fans (or Brazilians) of caring (or not caring) about cheerleaders.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  22. Hill Giant

Hill Giant Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, my first statement was to indicate that Brazil is not a good example to point the use cheerleaders on soccer matches. The first post that I response makes looks that the use of cheerleaders in Brazil is something widely commom, what is not.

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that isn't what I said ... I merely said Brazil had them, which they do.

24. Hill Giant

Hill Giant Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    OK.

25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As far at atmosphere goes, college football is better than the NFL, especially as the NFL (with PSLs and the like) priced out the working class fans.