Obrigado por tudo - The Nuno Gomes Thread [R]

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Benfica4Life, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  2. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  3. Omega1alpha

Omega1alpha Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Serra das putas
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Obviously, I wasn't privy to any of the internal conversations with the player, but I'm shocked by this. I know his salary is high for an aged player, but I'm sure they could have offered him a short contract and then have him join the team in some administrative role. He proved that he could score coming off the bench and we have a bunch of losers upfront right now in the striker roles. He didn't want to quit playing, so I can understand his motive to leave. They offered him an internal position, but come on. It'll be interesting to watch him score against Benfica as I assume he'll be playing in Portugal next season. He didn't seem at all pleased by the club's decision.

4. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, he wants to play, and he only has so many years left that he can play. Benfica is doing the right thing, as they weren't going to play him. Thats the way it is.

5. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Apparently LFV tried to convince JJ to keep Nuno Gomes, but he said no according to "OJOGO".

6. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Nuno Gomes was underused last season considering how poor was Saviola. He might be slightly less agile and slower with time but that's due to age, because his physique looks the same as ever. He's a professional and a role-model, should of have stayed.

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    He would be a great addition to Braga.

8. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Considering how big of rivals Braga has become, I'd hate to see him at Braga. But every other team is not worthy of having him.

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    He can go back to Boavista and help them out.

10. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maybe if they were in the 1st division, but how on earth would they come up with the money for his salary?

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    who said anything about money ;) Nuno has made a very good living from soccer. Time to give back :D

12. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If I was in charge at Sporting, id tried picking up nuno gomes

just for sole purpose of when we are winning a game against benfica, put him in in injury time as a sub to mock them

13. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would expect that from you cuz your an asshole.

14. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Abola.pt and Record.pt are reporting Braga have officially offered Nuno Gomes a one year contract and he is close to signing. Nuno said he liked what he saw

Jesualdo Ferreira's Panathinaokos is also interested in Nuno Gomes, but he prefers to stay in Portugal.

16. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That's great news. If he joins Braga, i can see him scoring 15 goals next season

17. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  18. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nuno Gomes scored in Braga first pre-season game in Braga 2-1 win.

19. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I hope Nuno stays healthy and goes out in style for Braga.

I know people have probably discussed this to death, but does Benfica have any Portugues players who might start? Maybe Carlos Martins? What has the world come to?

I know I'm pretty alone in this sentiment, but without Portuguese players, why would I want to follow Liga Sagres as opposed to the MLS? My interest in the Portugues first division is waning rapidly. Is the play-by-play still going to be in Portuguese? It makes me very sad. Even Sporting this year is going foreign. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Unfortunately, without Coentrao, Benfica will not have any Portuguese players as a starter. Moreira, Nuno Gomes and Fabio Coentrao left, thats 3 Portuguese players gone. However, Benfica now has Miguel Vitor back, David Simao, Andre Almeida, Fabio Faria, Roderick, and Nelson Oliveria. None starters though. Most will probably be loaned except Miguel Vitor. Maybe Roderick will stay.

21. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Welcome to football and the transfer market.

22. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Thanks for pointing out the Portuguese players that remain. I have nothing against the foreign players, I just have no desire to follow them. I believe it was in a Cup game against Leixoes a couple of years back that for the first time ever, at a point in the second half, I forget who was subbed out, all 11 Benfica players were estrangeiros. That situation was remedied 5 minutes later when Nuno Gomes was subbed in. The future is now and it blows! Just my point of view and I know most people don't agree. Benfica has to construct a team for the majority, not me.

23. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, on the bright side, Miguel Vitor, Riderick, David Simao and Nelson Oliveira are all future Portuguese stars for Benfica. David Simao had a fantastic season last year with Pacos de Fereira. Roderick is full of potential and Miguel Vitor is worthy of being a starter already.

24. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    If I were coach, they'd all start. I'd be fired after 1 game, maybe even at half time.

25. nuno10slb4live

Jan 23, 2013
    New Beige, Mass.
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Anyone hear of any news or rumors of where nuno gomes will play next year?
    All of these guys are gone besides N.O. which is sad still can't believe David Simao was sold.