NYRB @ Fire Sat 3/23 @ 3pm EDT on MSG [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Mar 16, 2014.

1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defense played better last week, but still no sustained offensive threat. Gotta do better.

2. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    On paper Fire look like one of the worst teams in the league this year, especially if Magee is out again, we should win this

3. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nyarko picked up a red card against Portland as well so we won't have to deal with his pace down the left side.

4. amr888

amr888 Member

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eckersley and Convey should not even make the bench on this squad. Petke is really struggling at the start of this campaign. This is how we need to line up

***************ROBLES*************
    KOS***OLAVE***ARMANDO***MILLER
    **************DAX*****************
    ***SAM************************STEELE
    **************PEGUY**************
    ****CAHILL*****HENRY****

BENCH:
    segkaya
    lade
    meara
    bover
    alexander
    bwp

5. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You didn't think Eckersley redeemed himself at all against Colorado? I thought he played well, got into the attacking half of the field a decent amount and didn't make any mistakes defensively.

Agree with the rest of the line up though, with how poorly our central midfield play has been these past two games its time to move Peguy back in there.

6. amr888

amr888 Member

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no i dont think he did. seemed like petke benched Steele for his terrible opening day performance but ecks got off scott free.

I was at game, there were at least 6 times when Titi or BWP made a run off the back shoulder waving at ecks and he just kind of stared and then passed the ball back to armando...i dont see what he brings defensively or offensively

7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Fair enough, but the other question would be whether Kimura would provide anything better. Granted I've never been much of a fan of his so maybe I'm being biased, but I don't recall a single game where Kimura brought any more attacking ability than Eckersley did this past weekend.

Eckersley has played all of two competitive games with the team so far, I'm willing to chalk some of his hesitation going forward to settling in. If in a few weeks he's still failing to link up with the guys in front of him, then sure lets give Kos another shot.

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sort of shrugged my shoulders when we picked up Eck. He's okay and it seems like we got him on the cheap, but I really wanted RB to go out and get a difference maker at outside back.

Convey? Was not a big fan of that move at all because of all the baggage that's followed him his entire career, but I also can't deny that it's a good depth addition. However, other than that I'm not sure he's much better than Miller at LB these days. He also seemed pretty uninspired in the home opener at LM. Kept tucking inside like a 3rd CM which frustrated me a little.

I think Peggy back to CM is worth a look for this next one. I'm very "meh" about the rest of the lineup choices. A few are a no brainer (Olave, Robles, Henry, Sam) but outside of that I don't think anyone has stood out. Very flat uninspired soccer.

9. amr888

amr888 Member

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uninspired for sure but lacking direction could be the issue. we were cruising at the end of the season...the SS game was greatest i have been to at RBA.

Petke became a tinkerer after that match for some reason.

Players need to know what their role on the pitch is.

10. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    110% right!!!!!

11. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Well this time maybe Cahill will been playing....."???"

12. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    OK, no body want to take the bite....So, let me tell you what.... I see Cahill on the roster list and even so him on the field too, but I never see him touch the ball, sorry, yes one time the ball hit him because he was standing between Bradley and some body else who he want to give the pass, but 99% of th game he was invisible, like was MacCarty that is a very rare happing, but he was a poor player all game long.......... And that is why we loose and not for a freaking penalty....

13. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    metz everybody knows that Cahill, like Dax, has played poorly so far the first two games. They will bounce back though, bad form is not the same thing as being a bad player.

You can't possibly still doubt him after the way he carried this team to the Supporter's Shield last season... right?

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every player has bad spells of form. Even some of the best like Howard, Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan, Altidore, etc.

Coaching is a very tough job. You need to stick with the guys you have faith in during bad spells. Otherwise it can become an endless downward spiral if you just bench them after a few bad performances.

Henry even touched on this recently:
    "It’s a team effort, man. I keep on saying it. You know, some people are going to shine sometimes, some won’t and that’s the way it is. At the end of the day it’s got to be a team effort."

Every single player on our roster has had a few bad days at the office at some point.

15. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Timmy just looks tired as he did his Australiam thing then came back and played a few days later in Vancouver so I think he just needs some time to recoup. Dax needs a more defined defensive mid role and he wil look good again.

16. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

When you go to work and don't give a 100% you are not good worker, I don't give a shit who or what he is......

And if he after 10 days can recuperate his game, man oh man, that say enough.......

17. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Dax has played even worse than Cahill, is he also a bad worker?

I had hoped a trophy would help you get past this irrational hatred for any player older than 30...

18. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

MacCarty play bad this game, but I will say that the fault is Petke that line up some body else with him and MacCarty play much better when he is alone on his defender role, but a player that 10 days before have a long fly and don't recuperate from that 10/12 days after, that is to much......

19. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Dax hasn't played a pure defender role since Backe used a 4-1-4-1 in 2012 while Henry was hurt. He has played alongside Cahill/Juninho in a flat midfield ever since the summer of 2012, and even when playing behind Peguy last year he had attacking responsibilities.

Cahill will be fine, he's only one of many players who haven't hit their stride this season, young and old. It was really nice when you weren't going so far out of your way to make up reasons to hate our own players every week.

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we start winning metz will disappear per usual.

Only to return when we bomb out of the playoffs again.

Predictable.

21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to roll the dice with Peggy at CAM for this one considering how poor our movement off the ball and link up play was in the home opener. I'm also willing to take that gamble because despite the penalty our defense looked better. Eck actually put in a decent shift, Olave certainly helped...Miller couldn't make a play to save his life so MAYBE Convey back there...I mean f#ck it, our record in the windy city is $hit so lets f#cking go for it.

-------Henry-Cahill
    ------------Peggy
    Steele--------------------Sam
    -------------Dax
    Miller-Olave-Armando-Eck
    -----------Robles

Convey, BWP, and Bover off bench if we need a goal. Alexander, Sekagya, and Kimura available to lock it down. Meara rounds out the bench.

22. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
  23. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well we knew he was good for a suspension at some point this season, figured he'd make it a little longer than two games though. Between him and Dempsey, I'd be willing to bet this is the first time the DisCo's ever had to deal with multiple groin shots in one week...

24. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. Well okay.

-------Henry-Cahill
    ------------Peggy
    Steele--------------------Sam
    -------------Dax
    Miller-Olave-Sekagya-Eck
    -----------Robles

Throw Miazga on the bench then too. Pray for some goals and hope to get him some minutes late.

25. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the match preview I do not think Peguy is starting. It looked like in the scrimmage the startershad no bibs, and I am pretty sure I saw Peguy with a bib on in the video. Also Convey had a bib on, so I think Steele has his job back for this game. All speculation though