NYRB @ DC United Sun-April 22 at 6PM Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ag nigrin, Apr 15, 2012.

1. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like other I was stunned by the scoreline, I don't remember the last time I have seen our defense perform this poorly to start a season. Before this game I thought there was a chance Holgersson would turn out alright but I highly doubt that now. It's really a bad sign that without Conde we couldn't stop a nose bleed. This was a great opportunity to separate ourselves from the pack and show that along with SKC we are the big players in the east. Now it looks like we are going to be a middle tier team in the conference if we still cannot stop anyone.

2. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    After tonight I'm fully on board with summers priorities focusing solely on some usable centerbacks, although apparently Backe sees nothing wrong with Holgersson's play...

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. Let's sign a CAM instead.

Hate to say I told you so but...well...actually I don't hate to say it. ;)

At the end of last season I said the defense was the #1 priority and concern and that our season would hinge on what changes/improvements were made there. So far I don't see any. Now that doesn't mean that we can't start playing better defensively as the season wears on, but every passing game becomes more and more worrisome.

Championship teams have championship caliber defenses that have been together for a while. Even the great Barecelona is sometimes held scoreless for long periods of time, but their defense keeps them in the game. What makes them so great is their commitment to defense once the ball turns over and the fact that...well...in addition to great attacking players they also have great defenders.

There has been so much turnover in our backline/GK that I find it difficult to believe we can win anything this year. Possibly in the next year or two IF the CORRECT major changes are made this summer. Problem is this is year 3 or Soler and Co. The backline should have been # 1 priority in year 1 of Soler and Co. It wasn't and now we're seeing the results of that. 3 years is enough for me. If they can't win something and make the proper adjustments then we need new management to rebuild that line.

Solli needs to be moved into midfield, we need another Conde caliber CB, another solid RB and although Meara has played well I'd feel more comfortable with solid veteran GK. Decent left backs are very hard to find and I think Lade and Miller would be enough if those changes were made. However, that's a LOT of turnover and communication-wise you have to start from scratch...again.

Also Marquez needs to go. Stats or no stats he's a disruption to the team because you have no idea what he's going to do next. He's a red card, tantrum, suspension waiting to happen every game. Not acceptable. Especially not with his mediocre play.

4. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the game yesterday and all I can say about that Nw York defense is Geezus H Krist.
    That was actually embarrassing to watch and that LB, not sure what his name is, must be looking for a pair of testicles right now because he got smacked around like Tina Turner.
    Damn shame too with the way that Cooper and Henry have played thusfar.

5. juan agudelowns

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Lade was actually one of the only positive things about last night to me. I thought his distribution was fantastic and really can't blame him for that second goal, the whole situation just seemed like pure dumb luck.

Also good lord that field was awful, and we all know how Henry feels about playing on turf already.

Anyone else scream at Cooper every time he had the ball? He did not do jack shit and should have just shot the damn ball in at least two situations where he's put the ball away in the past. Just an overall awful game.

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Lade was a positive we are in trouble. Too short/small to ward off forwards in air and on land. Looks physically overmatched despite skill set that appears solid. Cooper had an affliction against shooting for some reason. Too much deferring and cuteness out of him last night. He should be told he is not Henry and to play his game.

7. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    He play at least better than Keel and Hengersson together, what else more you want....

8. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That isn't saying much... his actual defensive technique isn't all that bad, he made some nice blocks on crosses and stood his ground well 1v1, he's just so small that any striker with strength will brush him off like he isn't there (like their 3rd goal). Kid needs to bulk up a bit! I do like that he actually looks to play the ball towards the middle of the attacking third from his position, as opposed to Miller only checking to the LM or CB.

9. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    What I see yesterday game against DCU:

We know that our Midfielders like to play sideways, backwards but not straight for ward passes, and DC knowing that, they give to them all the time they wanted the ball until they manipulate them and put they pieces together and in the place they wanted, after that tuck only one pass to convert a goal on the three goals they make in the first half. To say that the only to blame is the Back Line is to try to change the true, the midfielders was in fault more than the back line, I will not say that the back line was fare, hell no, but the midfielders have much to do in this lose....Only Henry was close to cost us two goals, one they miss but the other for Henry mistake they put into the net and that is the history of this ugly game yesterday....

10. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turf? The field is grass. You might take issue with the drainage, except for the fact that we had a day of torrential downpours.

Anyhow, I just popped in to give props to the travelling fans. It's always a more lively fan experience when rival fans come and put on a good show, and your guys did throughout, even given the scoreline.

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't fault Lade at all. 3 defenders get beat, Meara gets deflects the cross right into his feet. Unlucky. He had no time to react to the deflection.

DC didn't have a problem with it.

That was the Cooper I was afraid we were going to get. It's that kind of play that he's been criticized of over the years. Terrible play with his back to goal. Passive play. Diferring to other players when he should shoot. Terrible layoff passes and decision making in the 18.

It was his first bad game for us and I hope it doesn't continue.

12. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Blame the field condition for what happen yesterday is a poor excuse, DCU was playing on the same field and they bit our asses pretty good....

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lade's size will not be a problem as long as his balance, positioning, and technique are sound. There are thousands of "under-sized" outside backs all over the world who put in good shifts every week.

14. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The issue isn't size, but strength and as you mention balance. He looks tough to beat 1v1 because of his quick feet but he can't be as easy to push off the ball as he was on the third goal. Nobody is saying we should give up on the kid because of it, its just an aspect of his game that he needs to improve.

Second goal was almost 0% his fault, Santos stomps through 3 of our defenders and Meara redirected the ball right before it hit his leg. It looked a much worse play than it actually was.

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. The was I saw it he had a hand in 1 of those goals and that's when he was too tentative in closing down his man when he had gotten inside the 18 and all the way to the goal line. Because he didn't win that battle the ensuing cut back pass to the top of the 18 was pretty much a sitter.

Didn't help that NO ONE was watching the top of the 18 for that late trailing run.

16. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You'd think Solli would have learned after letting Salinas make that back post run on SJ's second goal last week...

17. juan agudelowns

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I just wanna back up a little bit to my comment on the field. First off, I didn't realize it was grass, my bad. Second, I'm not saying it was any excuse for the awful performance, it was more of a side comment and drainage was definitely the biggest issue with it, sometimes they'd hit a puddle and spray water up a few feet. I got a chuckle out every time that happened.

I was also surprised that the game wasn't more physical, especially given the ass beating we were taking.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem. I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

It was a very troubling performance. No doubt DC was going to be up for it given the ass beating we gave them at RFK last year.

The entire team defensively had no heart/desire/bite. That was very worrying. Too much time and space given too often.

The Lindpere thing is still curious and I'm starting to wonder if there is more to that.

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible that he is regressing? He was a very good defender for the 1st half of last season. It seems like he's gotten worse since then.

20. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am more and more convinced that we have to replace Solli at RB while also grabbing at least one more reliable CB this summer. I think we would be far better off allowing Solli to provide midfield depth, maybe even spelling Richards, and getting a natural RB over there.
    Holgersson is a joke. He looks far out of his depth. The Scandanavian signings during the Soler-Backe reign have been pretty good but they missed on this guy for sure. Admit the mistake and get another CB this summer.
    Ruthven looked like what he is: back-of-roster fodder.

21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives tweeted that DC looked to target Holgersson with speed.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with all of this. RB, CB, and a vet keeper if we can get one.

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Backe should have started Lindpere at CM. As soon as he came on the pitch he was tracking the ball down and laying guys out. Palsson was invisible the entire night. I only noticed him for the wrong reasons.

Backe's refusal to play Lindpere as a CM when we're short handed is infuriating.

24. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I still very little need for a vet keeper, especially if Conde gets or another experienced CB who can organize the defense comes in the summer. I'd rather sign more depth in the defense and midfield than replace Meara, there's only so much a more vocal keeper could do to help the clueless pairing of Holgersson and Keel.

25. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A rookie Gk has never one MLS Cup.

That's all I'm saying. He's a good keep and has played well, but that stat is alarming.