NYRB Academy/College/HomeGrown Thread [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Napoli 10, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's an interesting dynamic that's developing. The Red Bulls are becoming a true club, 24/7/365. Eckersley in an interview before the home opener says that he lives out near the training center. I'm sure more players will join him in future years, if not already. With the USL team, they will be training and playing in E. Hanover (except maybe for special occasions at the Arena). That means young players are becoming immersed into the club environment on a full time basis.

The next step is to have an Academy program that is also full time. There are many close by prep schools. The Red Bulls could maybe cooperate with one of them to create a streamlined, intensive academic program that allows the players to have extended training throughout the week and be able to travel for games/tournaments. This is exactly the type of set-up that elite athletes in other sports would follow in order to prepare more intensively for early entry into the pro ranks, e.g. tennis academies.

2. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

I remember on the METROS time the manager of that time promise and promise and change his promise every year for a 12 years, so what news are on that.....

3. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

Oh what a relive, .......We are the RBNYF (for Followers that can be the ********ers too).... That is exactly what I'm talking about.....

4. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

You can have all of that, but the intermedium team have to be one on a professional league, no matter if is the PRO or the USL, but a league where they compete in a professional way, is the only way you can develop players to be ready for the first team, no necessary starters but ready to be....

5. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well that's what we're getting so... I'm just trying to envision the added benefits, how that will synch up with other efforts and where the club could or should go from there. The biggest thing is the professionalization of the ranks for younger players, going all the way down to the last rostered professional. It's one thing for an established (and wealthy) veteran like Henry to have the penthouse in SoHo. The youngsters need to be focused on learning the game and staying away from the nonsense.

The Red Bulls have made a very nice home base out there in E. Hanover. With the various teams all training there, I expect it to be a place of constant activity. It would be nice to see our younger players hanging around more, showing up early and staying light, living and learning the game. The reason why Henry got where he is is a superior work ethic, putting in extra hours training. Too many of the kids coming out of the college and youth ranks are used to a light training regimen, part time work really. Based on his level of performance in limited opportunities, I have to say that Armando Moreno struck me as falling into this category.

So, yeah, I'm thinking more expansively what kind of environment the club can create, where the kids learn to put in the extra hours honing skills and work harder to prove themselves. If the club can make it home, then I think you'll see that happening, especially when you do have those seasoned professionals to set a good example. The reason why Beckham was so good at his free kicks is because he spent hour after hour outside of practice bending balls into the goal. Then in the game situations, it is second nature.

6. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    #531 metz, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

My freaking question is, why not 5 years ago, at least I say so like 5/6 years ago, that we were in need of something like that, they got the money, WHY NOT, why to wait until the Galaxy do that or the MLS order they to do that, they have bringing some European garbage one over another, and with the money expend in one of them easy they could have a third division team five, ten years ago and to this day we will have maybe a dozen players ready to sub the first team for any casualty and producing a very first caliber players, but no, they have to wait and see what the Galaxy do..... What a joke....

And course, the main point is that, in a PRO team they will trine full time, they will compete against other professionals and will play like if the game they are playing is the last one, because if they don't produce they are out of the team or at least of position, beside they are accumulating experience and a lots of other thing that a good players have to have in his arsenal......

7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rome wasn't built in a day. Where was this club 20 years ago? It didn't even exist.

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was lots of talk about similar bad practice habits for Altidore and Agudelo. Imagine what they'd be today if they had been pushed to their absolute limits like Henry was? They wouldn't be good players. They'd be great players.

9. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm not sure how its possible, but winning a trophy has somehow made you hate your own team more. You literally just called the team you supposedly support the NY ********ers... what???

I can just picture you at your favorite restaurant. "You should order the pasta, ITS ********ING TERRIBLE!!!"

kokoplus10 repped this.
  10. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #535 Woodrow, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    1st Paragraph: Whatever. It didn't happen. Get over it.

2nd Paragraph: As you say, in a pro environment, the young players will learn to compete. But they should be learning that at as young an age as possible. My point is you can drill that down even further by making the Academy program more pro driven (more of a full time effort), too. Henry debuted for Monaco's 1st team at 17 and played well. Moreno debuted for the Red Bulls at the same age and looked lost.

11. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously people, just put metz on ignore.

12. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I guess at some point or another we all give in to the notion that Metz will one day come out saying that it was all just a joke and he was doing it all just to keep the conversation going.:rolleyes:

13. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason they didn't do it in the past is league rules concerning the salary cap would not have allowed it. You could not stock a second team of professional players without those players counting against the cap.
    That has changed slightly with the USL-Pro partnership and will continue to change going forward. Trust me, I've bitched and moaned about this gaping void in US player development for years, but this isn't the fault of RBNY alone. If you're gonna blame anyone, blame MLS.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't. ;)

15. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this board just for metz.

16. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The Galaxy loan three players LAG II. There are no details as to the loan, but typically this type of arrangement would be for a certain period of time.

17. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can only go forward from here, we can't always be looking back and get anywhere.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zamphyr and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  19. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  20. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #545 Zamphyr, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USMNT U-17's:

Thursday: 5-0 win over Montenegro. Can't find the starting lineup.
    Friday: 1-1 tie with Sarajevo. Adams started. Olosunde came in at the 65th min.
    Sun. 4-0 win over Bosnia. Olosunde started. Adams came in at the 68th min.

They win the Katalinski tournament. Wow. 10 goals for and 1 against. Nice!

22. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  23. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lifted from the YNT forum (thank Clint Eastwood): http://www.nfsbih.ba/bih/vijest.php?id=9990
    Olosunde started, played full game.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  24. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

1.-And what a team on USL or PRO have to do with MLS salary CAP......2.- And we don't need partner ship bulls... 3.-We need a TEAM on any of the secondary division, to train and grow our players....

25. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They have a lot to do with each other if you're going to be calling players up from the USL team in the middle of the season. For example if you call up a USL player, does his full salary transfer to the full team? If not what would stop a team from signing 5 DP level players to the USL team, then just calling them up without hurting the first team's cap?

It's more complicated than you're thinking about.