News: NYCFC Major Announcement on April 21st

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Darkwing McQuack, Apr 20, 2014.

1. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The point is that given that the 2014 schedule gives NYCFC most of the days they need, it shouldn't take more than a little shifting of games and series to fit it all in.

It's certain they have gone over this in detail with both FO's and both leagues. The agreement almost certainly has details over how the scheduling will occur.

The real question is, how many crap days will they get? how many back to backs? how bad will the field be?

The more basic stuff should be pretty much assumed.

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    And I think they'll squeeze two, maybe three NYCFC home games in before the MLB season starts, which if I were to guess right now looking at the 2015 calendar could be March 30, and the Yankees could start their first two series on the road to begin the season too like they have since 2011.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, people who have experienced friendlies there report that it's "fine" or "not bad". Some even say it s very good.

The question is, how do the positives and negatives develop over the course of a season as oppose to a single match.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an outsiders perspective, it's too bad that the decent pitch is placed in the stadium at possibly the worse angle possible. While the Yankees could persuade me that the pitch itself is soccer worthy there is no way in the world that people actually watching soccer was anywhere near the top of their priority list.

With that said, if NYC fans don't mind and show up for 3 years + then I guess that's okay. Most MLS team push their supporters clubs to the goal-ends and that seems normal here.

I wonder if local fans weren't considered when designing soccer seating placement, I wonder where the away fans will be. Behind home plate?

6. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    a lot of times stadiums get the description "not a bad view/seat in the house" ... to me YS looks like, for soccer, there isn't a good view/seat in the house.

only the endline seats would be near the pitch, one sideline has a few seats near the pitch at one goal and then the seats are acres away from the pitch the rest of the way, and on the other sideline isn't as far away but isn't close and there are only a small section of seats on the midline ...

i mean where would you even buy tickets to watch an MLS game there? a one off game with 40k+ is different than suffering thru a wretched view of 17 games a season

joehooligan0303 repped this.
  7. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been to two matches at Yankee Stadium. One match I was in the left field bleachers and those were excellent seats. As good as endline seats could be. The other match I was in the left field upper deck. Which won't even be open in NYCFC configuration and while obviously not good, they were not bad either. I had good sightlines and did not feel like the seat detracted from the experience. I am not sure what the view would be like closer to the diamond or in right field but I'm sure it won't be better than my left field upper deck view.

8. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #108 joehooligan0303, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    It was a joke first off, but that is an extremely common phrase. How in the world have you never heard anyone say that? You been living under a rock? It is such a common saying that there are countless papers discounting it.
    http://ideas.time.com/2012/05/23/talking-to-yourself-not-so-crazy-after-all/
    While the phrase is aimed at talking to yourself out-loud the article seems to be more focused on inner-dialog.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Could someone living in New York explain to me why someone who isn't a Red Bulls fan want to pay more to support an expansion team in a baseball stadium? Not trolling, but this team clearly wasn't intended to be a 10-12k/game type team... Are there 20k+ New Yorkers itching to see an expansion team play at a baseball stadium?

10. EmpedoxFCB

EmpedoxFCB Member

Apr 20, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't met many.

11. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there are tons of New Yorkers itching to see a world class club brought to NYC. Now the challenge is getting those people to support this club. We have to wait and see, but I am expecting to see very good attendance numbers at least in the first year.

12. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because not everyone is a poseur who finds it to be some sort of slap in the face insult the team has to play temporarily in Yankee Stadium until a permanent home is found? And what makes you think NYCFC fans are going to be paying more money for tickets than Red Bulls fans?

JasonMa and When Saturday Comes repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've had friends who live in Manhattan complain about how long it takes to get to Yankee Stadium (though I think they're full of shit, it's a quick trip). It's going to be difficult for NYCFC to get people to these games on a Thursday night unless they have Ronaldo or someone in the squad.

harrylee773 repped this.
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Season ticket deposit costs, IIRC.

15. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Season Ticket Deposit for Supporters $30 per ticket. Other seating $50. How is that an indication NYCFC season tickets will be more than RBNY?

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Nobody cares about the insult. It's about the sight lines.

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Someone extrapolated from it, I don't know.

I also think there's an assumption that the Yankees will overcharge for soccer like they do for baseball.

18. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because your everyday, typical, average NY sports fan doesn't give a s***. The sight lines may not be ideal, but they're not deal breakers either. I post regularly on NY Giants and Rangers forums and I haven't seen anyone complain about Yankee Stadium. The only people I see getting all up in arms about it are found here.

19. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they find a way to move the main cameras to the other side. I think it would look better on TV to see the 3rd base line/home area instead of right/center field.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So like...the camera they use for baseball? Seems an easy enough fix.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What angle were the videos I posted from? They seemed like from 3rd base-ish.

22. storming06

storming06 Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I live right in the middle of Manhattan and I do support the Red Bulls when I can, but it takes up to 1hr and 15 minutes to get to the arena. It makes it extremely difficult to make many games and even harder to convince friends its worth it. I can't even imagine how long this would take if you lived in one of the other boroughs. Yankee stadium in a 20 min trip max on the express train. That is why people will support NYCFC

23. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During the "Pinstripe Bowl" the tv cameras were on the right field side of the stadium looking toward the 3rd base line. Don't know if this holds true for soccer or not since the fields are laid out a bit different.

24. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be reading your post wrong but it sounds like you are saying because people aren't complaining about sight lines while watching baseball in a stadium specifically built for baseball means the sight lines for watching soccer in a stadium specifically built for baseball will be good. Am I correct?
    If so you do realize that they are different sports and that the soccer field is going to be crammed in there at a weird angle that will be very far away from the main portion of seats in the stadium? right?

Or are you saying that they are saying the sight lines are good for the one or two games the Rangers play there? Because going to a special game in the stadium is much different than regularly watching games there.

25. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe, I'm saying all the NY soccer fans I know who are going to become hardcore NYCFC supporters and fans of other NY sports who are going to casually follow the team don't consider the team playing at Yankee Stadium an issue.

The only people who seem to be whining about it are the guys on this site who just seem to need something to piss and moan about.

Zoti repped this.