NYCFC coaching news

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by SoccerPrime, Oct 18, 2013.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This needed its own thread.

So in addition to Jason Kreis the Columbus Dispatch today said that in addition to interviewing for the Crew job, former Argentine and Crew great Guillermo Barros Schelotto had interviewed for the NYCFC job.

If that's accurate another fine candidate. After winning MLS Cup and retiring from Crew, Schelotto has been coaching in the Argentina first division.

whill4 repped this.
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Interesting.. You can read quite a lot into what kind of coaches we are considering.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it should be an entertaining style of play.

That being said, it might behoove NYCFC to wait until the offseason before they actually pick a coach. While Kreis is certainly available there might be some surprising managers come available if the team they are currently with doesn't make the playoffs, or do well in the playoffs. As an example, after 5 years of consistently having one of the better teams in the league on paper, if the Sounders are on the receiving of another ass kicking in the playoffs, or fail to make the playoffs entirely, Sigi might find himself in search of a new job.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but given the choices of Sigi, GBS or Kreis, I hope Sigi is their last option.

And I would put Bob Bradley above Sigi too.

6. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Bradley would be a nice move by NYC FC. The recent result with Ghana does not diminish what he's done in Egypt as an American under the social conditions in which he's done it. Someone's going to make a movie about that some day.

7. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I wonder how many we have interviewed..

8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Bradley would be a nice move by NYC FC. The recent result with Ghana does not diminish what he's done in Egypt as an American under the social conditions in which he's done it. Someone's going to make a movie about that some day.

9. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I do hope NYCFC goes after a top MLS manager and not foreign manager. I know Sigi is not a popular choice but I would not be upset with him taking over this team. I think so far names mentioned by some of you or confirmed by media are good choices.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that only GBS and Kreis are actually confirmed, as much as can be. Everyone else is just theory.

I would hope they interviewing more than MLS players and coaches and going after a few in England or international. Always good to have options.

11. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I´m convinced that it will be a coach familiar with MLS, in due time when the organisation is settled they might consider a foreign coach but not during the startup.

12. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a disaster to start up with a coach/manager who is not familiar with MLS. While I don't think a re-tread coach like Sigi would be a good long-term fit for the club, I think he would be a solid choice to set the foundation and make sure the team is competitive for it's first 2-3 years. There is a lot more that goes into building a club organization wise and I think NYCFC are going to take a close look at Toronto and realize exactly what not to do.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean hire a long time MLS player and an club exec as your first manager (Mo Johnston)? ;)

I know what you are trying to say and mostly agree. But there other options besides hiring an existing or former MLS coach.

14. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's true Prime but it seems like Kreis might be the guy to get the job. What about Friedel he should be considered might have some Redknap influence managing style. Sigi is a good manager and can win the league he's done before just got to put the right players together. His team play good football/soccer.

15. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    they will hire some Man City assistant most likely that knows the brand ethos.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's it. You're trolling has reached a new low.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes more sense with Reyna in charge that they pick a MLSer and hire a ManCity guy as an assistant.

The only two guys that we know they interviewed are former MVP-like MLS players.

18. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The trolling standards are slipping on bigsoccer.. :rolleyes:

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trolls are only as good as those that feed them. So stop feeding the trolls.

20. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    Its trolling to point out based on the connections with the parent club, this MLS expansion side will likely look internally to hire someone familer with their brand and philosophy?? You are a sensitive lot, i'd think after winning the league in 2012 Man City fans would be a little less cynical.

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of your posts in this particular forum tend to be of the anti-NYCFC (or Man City USA as you like to say), whether you're blatant about it or mask it in other ways.

What does a coach have to do with a clubs brand? If this team wants to be successful in the US, since y'know that's where they're playing, then they should surround themselves with people familiar with MLS. Just because they're owned by the same ownership of City and the Yankees doesn't mean it's City 2.0.

22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say one thing about the relationship with ManC... They need to stop with the non-stop cross-promotion and start focusing solely on the NYCFC brand. While I don't agree with the Man City USA pejorative certain trolls like to use, NYCFC is making it difficult for fans of ManC's rivals to get behind the team..

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting their own news will help that.

24. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    Most organizations prefer to be led by people that are already custom to the "corporate ethos" of upper management. Nothing new. Just beacuse you or I know what best succeeds in MLS doesn't mean they do. If they did, pushing this non stop manchester city synergy blitz to NYCFC would not be happening.

25. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't feed the troll. This place was actually readable when he wasn't here.