NY Red Bulls @ Portland Timbers - 3/3/13 - 7:30 EST - ESPN2

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by iced1776, Feb 26, 2013.

1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

gave up the tying goal...

2. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Saw it coming a mile away.

4. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving up a FK now:cry:
    meltdown before our eyes...

5. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    WTF is the matter with Pearce, is he trying to top Silvestre for worst half of defending in MLS history? Should have been called for a penalty, and then fails to apply pressure on the initial shot for both second half goals. Atrocious 2nd half perforamnce.

cfbest04 repped this.
  6. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily the Free Kick was unsuccessful

Bulls better wake up o_O

7. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I therefore blame you.

8. JD75

JD75 Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Same shit different season. Petke sucks. No answers. No adjustments. Robles is shit. GK's not essential for NYRB. 2nd half possession has to be 90/10. Taylor The Twat Twellman is still trash.

9. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it finishes as a tie or if we lose 4-3, then I tear the team a new one in the locker room if I'm Petke. Given the fact that we were winning 3-1 at one point, the only acceptable result should be winning 4-3.

cfbest04 repped this.
  10. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    big save there. we need to sneak home and get ourselves sorted

11. JD75

JD75 Member

Oct 7, 2006
    You mean to tell me that someone with 1 year of career coaching experience (under trash like Backe no less) has no idea how to make adjustments? Change momentum? Stem the tide?

Shocking I tell you. Just shocking.

12. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a sense of panic in the final minutes of the game for the team--they lost all composure. It didnt help that the Bulls lost all possession of the ball in the 2nd half--all they did was defend and chase the ball. No midfield play whatsoever.

13. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Subbing in two defensive minded players and switching formations isn't enough of an adjustment for you? If you want to blame Petke for anything it should be that the players were completely gassed by the 70th minute, they should be in better shape by first kick.

14. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointing. Everyone could tell at half-time that if we played the way we played in the first-half that we would not win this game. Typical really.

15. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same Old Bulls? or is it too early to say that?

16. JD75

JD75 Member

Oct 7, 2006

17. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The bad:
    Robles - Didn't have his feet settled on the first goal and gave up a soft rebound right in front of the net (which he did on several other occasions as well) on the second.
    Pearce - Basically did all he could to hand the game back to Portland in the second half, I'm not sure why he thinks backing off of a player sitting with space 20 yards out from goal is a better option than applying pressure.
    Cahill - He was out there, right?

The good:
    Espindola - No explanation necessary
    Olave - Best defender out there, not much he could have done about the own goal as Nagbe never should have gotten such a free shot to start the play.
    Juninho - Seemed like the only player out there interested in keeping calm and stringing together a few passes, also good to see him being vocal out there.

18. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    The change of Espindola for Steel was a booboo...
    This kind of game is where you need Lade and Petke don't react to the occasion....So in resume I will say, Petke let the win scape from his hands.... And what position Barca play?....

19. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm trying to figure out what Miller was doing on the third goal.

20. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You're right, lets fire Petke and rebuild the roster. Have some patience, the team just went through its highest turnover ever, its gonna be a bumpy road for the first few games. Petke can only do so much from the sidelines, if the players make poor plays (Robles) or poor decisions (Pearce) then that's on them, not Petke. I actually thought the team did look better in the 4-4-1-1 than they did prior.

21. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I would have liked to see Lade instead of Steele as well, our guys were obviously tired and we could have used Lade to disrupt play higher up the field.

22. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an exciting game!

We were lucky to get the draw.. Portland was the far superior team especially in the second half.. We had no answer for their offense and the way they were putting together their attacks at such quick speed was amazing, Porter is the real deal..

Not taking anything away from Espindola(thought he played great) but those goals were pure luck.. It would be nice to have the opposing CB do a erratic back pass to the goalie in a tight situation but it's not possible. Our offense was ugly and we had trouble putting attacks together. Our guys were extremely lazy besides the exceptional few(mostly Dax)

Theirry Henry invisible(Missed a golden chance), Tim Cahill invisible, we just can't have that. For Cahill I don't think it's his fault but rather the role he has to play, he's not a central midfield and he should be playing as a forward. I thought with Cooper out that would free him up there and at the end of the game Cahill looked lost..

As for the defense Olave was solid but he was responsible for two goals for the most part. The first goal was amazing by Verlai but Olave looked like his feet was stuck in concrete and the third goal you can't pin that on him.

It looks like Petke views Barklage as a midfielder so unfortunately it's going to be Miller Time here on out!

Portland just pressed the shit out of us

cfbest04 and DjTannerr repped this.
  23. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Olave did get beat right before to allow the cross that led to his own goal though

Shouldve used Lade instead of Steele

24. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ah didn't remember him getting beat, but like I said that play should have been shut down even before that when Nagbe was allowed a free shot from just outside the box while Pearce inexplicably backed off.

25. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lade would have been a great sub. Portland in the second half were pressing us hard and they were putting together lighting quick attacks on offense. You figure Lade's aggression would have been helpful there.

I posted this earlier but I didn't like the lineup from the get go(Mostly the fullbacks). We were lucky to get the draw..