NY @ MTL Sat. 4/5 @4pmEDT on MSG

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Mar 31, 2014.

1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it wouldn't. The scoreline flattered us. Montreal should have won that game 4-2 or 5-2.

I'd be happy about 3 points but still furious about how we played.

They looked decent for 20 minutes of the second half. The rest of the game they looked like they didn't even want to play. This is a team with lots of talent and depth. Even without the big names the 90 minute EFFORT should still be there.

2. packy

packy Member

Mar 21, 1999
    When seeing Alexander in the lineup I get the same sinking feeling as in the past with Ballouchy. It's like playing with 10 men.

3. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Its uncanny how much his play in the center of the field resembles Ballouchy's. Great ball control, nothing but safe passes, no aggression on either side of the ball.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh God no...

Add that to how everyone's says how sharp they are in practice...

iced1776 repped this.
  5. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    BTW, David Carney has been a beast for the Jets since he has started to play for them, mainly in how he plays offensivly... something he never did while in New York.

6. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I try to be level-headed and objective. But look at my earlier comment on this thread.
    "That being said a CB pairing of Armando and Sekagya this weekend scares the shit out of me. That's two pretty slow dudes playing against a quick attacking unit on a fast surface."
    If you know this going in, which we all did, you probably want to shield those guys with a true defensive midfielder. Maybe you figure out a way to apply high pressure so that service is starved. I personally would have played a very deep line in an attempt to hide the CB pairing's inability to turn and run. I would have started Dax and told him to buzz around in front of that pairing and slide to shield the FBs if they get caught up field.
    Playing someone so positionally inept as Alexander in that role was suicide. Pairing him with a natural wide player like Convey compounded the problem. It was a very poor game tactically from Mike in my opinion.
    We got a point on the road. But results are not always indicative of performance, and our performance was very poor. Petke's roster selection ensured that would be the case.

iced1776 repped this.
  7. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple questions from game because my stream died at end.
    1) Was the Armando sub tactical because Petke was frustrated with his play or was he hurt?
    2)
    it would have been nice if Lade was given a go there because he at least is naturally a defensive player. I think Petke was scared that Lade is too nice to the position

8. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armando was hurt.
    I am a little surprised that Petke hasn't given Lade a chance. His energy alone could give this team a much needed lift. I'd be willing to see if he can play right back. Kimura did nothing to make that his spot on Saturday.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Stale. That's how this team looks right now. Very stale.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I thought Kimura was even worse than that. Bad enough that I'm 100% willing to see Lade or Duvall there because they couldn't possibly play any worse than Kimura did against Montreal.

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke likes Lade, but I did read somewhere that he moved him to CDM in the latest reserve game because he has his doubts about Lade's size at outside back.

Which I think is complete horse$hit. One of the best outside backs to ever play for the U.S. was Steve Cherundolo who is practically the same height as Lade.

Petke said something about Lade's size concerning him on those far post runs when a cross comes in from the other side, or giving up headers and second chances.

Mike, I agree with a LOT of what you say, but this is f#cking stupid and smacks of the way American soccer players and coaches thought in the 1990's. Let's see if Lade can actually DEFEND better than Eckersly and/or Kimura and worry about far post runs and second chances AFTER that. It's like the discussion everyone is having about wanting to take Omar out of the CB role for the USMNT. Lots of people arguing against it because we'll lose his height. Well, it doesn't matter how tall you are if you can't defend!!!

Eck has not been good. Kimura has not been good. I want to see Lade or Duvall. Hell I'd take a look at BUSTAMANTE.

Great post. Sums it up in 10 words.

12. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Lade is not defensively sound as an outside back. He's not even that good going forward. It's rose colored glasses to believe this is a possibility. Folks got it into their heads a couple of years ago and hang on to it as if it were a life preserver. Too bad that one is made out of lead. Just let it go.

Lade doesn't have a great turnover. His feistiness and desire are no substitute for being able to anticipate opponents moves, turn and cover. In the middle he compensates for a lack of quickness by having superior vision and a high work rate. It is much easier to get in an opponents face than wait for him to make a move down the line. Lade is smart tactically and knows how to spray the ball around, but he's a mediocre crosser. He also lacks the flat out foot-speed that can make up for these other deficiencies.

The right back problem is a minor one, in my opinion. Yes, it has led to some goals, but the biggest problems are elsewhere. Generally there has been some pretty stupid play, too sloppy and predictable. When Petke talks about Lade moving to CDM, he may be seeing some of the same things as I have, in Lade and with the team. Too many of our players just don't understand tactics well enough to know how to move the ball around. Since, the holding/CM is tasked with setting the tone, you need at least one player in that position who knows what he's doing.

One of the biggest problems this season has been taking too long bringing the ball up and getting overloaded, clogged on one side. The holding mid not only must support the attackers, providing an outlet, he also has to get the ball up into dangerous positions by picking out runners and switching the field when it gets too packed.

13. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure do wish we kept Barklasge. Never understood getting rid of him beacuse Kumara was such a good teamate.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well neither are Kimura or Eckersley.

The question at this point is: "Do we have anyone on the roster who can do a better job?"

If not Lade, Duvall? If not Duvall, Bustamante?

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries.

16. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Am I the only one who remembers Bustamante being pretty hopelessly lost at RB in the Lyon friendly? Wasn't that literally the first time he had ever even played the position?

17. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Is Kimura out for the DC game? I would tend to think that after Duvall there really is nobody and someone like Alexander will play RB rather than putting a scrub in the same slot.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. Could this actually work?

19. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He's an awful defender, so I wouldn't be a big fan of putting him closer to our own goal.

The only time I want to see Alexander from now on is in a 3 man midfield, with Dax behind him and either Peguy or Cahill in front of him. That's the only way to highlight his ball control and short passing, while negating his inability to do anything productive outside of the middle third of the field.

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-3-3?

---Henry-Cahill-Sam
    -----Steele-Dax-Alex
    Miller-Sekagya-olave-?