NY Cosmos to Join NASL

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by Smoke & Mirrors, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anywhere close to public transit. I'm serious. If they put this in LI, they can take me off the season ticket list. Though it would be symbolic for the club...since they started there.

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It won't. No one in New York City is going to watch a minor league soccer team, even if they are named the Cosmos. People aren't stupid.

3. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ichan Stadium looks just about perfect. Seats 5K, looks like they could put some bleachers in if they wanted to. And it's where the old Cosmos played some of their games(including Pelé's first game if I'm not mistaken). And it's "in the city" as so many of the NYC2MLS people bitch so frequently about.

[​IMG]

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not believe Hofstra has been anything but turf. At least the old Cosmos films from 1971-74 show, IIRC, them playing on football-lined turf.

But it's got a larger capacity than a lot of the others.

Having been to Belson, I know it's intimate. And not that easy to get to (not that anything in NYC is).

5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if they wear the fringes.

6. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What else would they wear?

[​IMG]

SoccerPrime repped this.
  7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The site, but not the same stadium, right? Downing Stadium was on Randall's Island but was torn down a while back.

But, yes, the Cosmos played on Randall's Island in 1975 before moving to Yankee Stadium in 1976 and then Giants Stadium in 1977.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they have money, so there's that. (If it's the same ownership group.)

The brand is all-powerful.

Or so they say.

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    didn't Downs promise us 2 expansion teams for the 2013 season?

an existing franchise and a new franchise

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone should have warned me that the NASL expansion forum would be NSFW today.

athletics68 and Yoshou repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icahn_Stadium

But how big is the playing field? It may not be long or wide enough.

13. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bet is they play at Columbia (17,100 seats) or some form of expansion at Randall's Island (5K).

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would you consider this? Kinda squishy, could go either way.

USSF requires they add two for 2013, and, yes, Downs said/promised that. Today's July 12, doesn't mean they won't announce the other team tomorrow or next week.

I'm actually surprised the news didn't leak, given how many printed pieces and photos had to be created for today.

15. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    if a USLpro team was to join the NASL, they would do that AFTER the USL season, not tomorrow, not next week

17. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the benefit of moving to NASL, when their stated goal is to move to MLS. I doubt if they would draw that much more for either FL teams or even the Cosmos. This may a team with the same uniforms as the old NASL team, but that's about it. We have no idea who will be on the team. But we do know it's not going have the same level of players from the old team. People don't come out to see a team name.

CCSUltra repped this.
  18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    lots of newyorkers did't even come out to see the original Cosmos in 1984

people that had come out to watch Pele, Beckenbauer, Chinaglia, Carlos Alberto, Neeskens, .... did not care too much for Durgan, Terlecki, Carter, Green,...

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who says they don't have those things yet?

20. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This has been discussed at length in other threads before. Why are the Cascadia rivalry teams rising to the top of MLS attendance and popularity wise? Why is the fostering of rivalries being talked about in soccer circles as good for the growth of the game? You can say what you want about names and brands being meaningless. Why not lump rivalries into that category too? They're just as contrived as dusting off a once meaningful name right? Oh wait, it's because fans enjoy it. Look at every pro sport in this country and tell me with a straight face that having a hated rival doesn't mean something to fans. How many tweets did I see leading up to the Quakes/Galaxy "clasico" or whatever they called it. How was the crowd for that one chief?

Maybe nostalgia, rivalries and names mean zip to you. That's cool. But don't assume everyone else feels the same as you. Many OCSC supporters are on record as stating they'd love to see a derby between the Florida teams. And at the end of the day, who should these things matter to? The fans. You know, the ones you say won't come in any larger numbers to see a developed Florida Derby Cup match then to watch the lieks of Antigua and Dayton come to town. Tell you what. Go out and survey the OCSC fans. Ask them if they'd rather see the Dayton Lions, LA Blues, and Antigua Barracudas rolling into town, or if maybe they'd prefer the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, Tampa Bay Rowdies, and New York Cosmos. Ask them if they'd rather sit at their computer and watch their team play Friday and Sunday in LA, or gets on a bus and invade Al Lang or Lockhart twice a year. I think I already know the answer to all of this, but you go on and do your survey and let me know what you find.

And I know, you'll go on about costs for D3 vs. D2. But you know what? Orlando is already operating on a D2 budget in a D3 league. They're needing to fly to just about every away match I'd guess. You'd already be replacing four plane rides a year with bus trips to FTL and Tampa, and if you were that concerned about money you could probably do the same to ATL. Taking every factor into consideration, you won't convince me that Orlando is significantly better off financially playing as they are now in D3. In fact, I'd say the potential is there for them to be not just be in the ballpark, but actually be better off in the long run in D2. But all of this is moot if Rawlins has a bug up his arse about NASL. If he's determined to ignore even considering the possibility of a move up, then that's that. Doesn't mean there isn't plenty of good reason for OCSC fans to question him about it.

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't? Since when? People these days are by and large sheep who will do what they are told by TV advertisers and the internet. If the Cosmos run a good ad campaign and generate buzz people will come, minor league or not.

Smoke & Mirrors and Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a New Yorker who was really hoping for a NY Proper team, this has been a buzz kill.

24. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh. meh. Maybe being too pessimistic but at this point I have the same feeling as ArsenalMetro.

25. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I doubt anyone expected them to have an SSS ready to go for 2013. But I understand the frustration.