NWSL Supplemental Draft and Discovery Player Process

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Tokonta, Jan 31, 2013.

1. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    It's pretty clear that NWSL is just making this up as it goes...

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Good point Focker.
    I bet they were cruising in Nikki's Dodge Neon, talking it over, listening to the worst song ever, with the corniest lyrics ever, thinking about taking their ball and going home ....

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    They didn't exactly have a "League Manual" made up with all their rules and regulations, before announcing the league, or immediately afterwards (heck, they still don't even have a website yet). And I would personally LOVE a copy of the "NWSL Employee Handbook".
    Actually, I'll post it below ....

NWSL Employee Handbook
    Do not murder any player on your own franchise, or any other franchise
    Do not make fun of the non-allocated players on any franchise for being "poor"
    Do not ask for funding if you get a blank allocation
    Do not complain if the league puts 2 of the Top 4 best players in the world on the same team
    Do not pass go and collect $200
    Well, "Here we-go", it's the start of a new league, and not the name of a dog in a beer commercial
    The rest of our employee handbook will be released soon, as "we-go" through the motions.

[​IMG]

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well if Krzysik wants play she is a valuable commodity. She is from NJ and played at Virginia. If she is interested in either Washington or Sky Blue or maybe even Boston and WNY her rights certainly have trade value. If she just doesnt want to play this year then it was a wasted pick.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Seattle baffles me with how they've handled their roster-building on defense in free agency and in the supplemental draft. They may only walk away with "one" defender (Kate Deines) in 11 total potential picks (from the 5 free agent spots they were given, and 6 supplemental draft picks). That is absurd, when defense was "BY FAR" their most glaring need going into those 11 picks. It's iffy on Krzysik right now, and Fountain is taking her flowing water elsewhere in another career.

6. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    The financial aspect of the salary cap and the min/max 18/20 roster size is what would have prevented Portland from getting all of the top shelf players.

7. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    They still would have been able to put together roster that was basically unstoppable. It all comes back to the allocation. There wasn't parity in the allocation so the powers that be in NWSL had to look for ways to even the playing field.

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    But the league shouldn't be making "urgent" impulse decisions still, to do that.
    Let it play out naturally. It only makes things worse when they try to over-interfere within the process.

9. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    And who cares, anyways? I'm not sure team balance is a primary need right now. It's not something France has and they're the ones whose league is siphoning off our best. If I'd been running this thing I'd have thought it'd be more important to put big stars where they'll be best used for local star power (Rapinoe in Portland, Perez in Seattle, etc) and let free agents go where they may. Balance be damned, anything that puts butts in seats is good. But that ship's long sailed.

10. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    That's all fine and good for the West Coast. What happens when people don't turn out in markets without super stars and those teams fold? Bye, bye NWSL!

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. It's in all teams' interests for all teams to be successful.

12. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    There's plenty of stars without strong ties to any of the eight localities that could have gone anywhere. I don't think it would be a killer. I think it'd be a net benefit.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have Solo, so they need no Defenders ;) :p

TsovLoj repped this.
  14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Well, they did get Elli Reed. And if Krzysik plays, they have this to trot out there on the field.

Elli Reed (starter)
    Kate Deines (starter)
    Nikki Krzysik (starter)
    Emily Zurrer (starter)
    Jenny Ruiz (reserve)
    Lauren Barnes (reserve)

If they were smart, they'd get one more defender, a starting caliber one, because there's no guarantee Krzysik will be there. And you never know with injuries.