NWSL Supplemental Draft and Discovery Player Process

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Tokonta, Jan 31, 2013.

1. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We would think so, that the team(s) has (have) had discussions with players, but again all this does is give a team the "rights" to a player. I have not found anything about player registration for this except possible whatever the system was for those in the college draft. The lists were to be submitted by end of Friday which gives the teams a week to feel out players. I would think this process would give the parties an idea who the teams are interested in and where the players are willing/able to play with.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    While I understand that unless a contract is guaranteed, any player cut losses the contract, that does not mean they dont get paid. Standard contracts include language covering payment in those situations. Also, signing twelve players u plan to cut puts u in a situation of cutting contracts to make the cap. U start looking at how much a player signed for as a reason to cut them. Plus, seven slots r guaranteed so ud be bringing in 25 players to fill 13 slots. The only advantage to that large a camp is to set up a decent size taxi squad. Id be surprise to find more than 26 players in a camp.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think Portland should have picked higher. Even if u remove coach's preference from the equation, they still have an allocated player gone for 6 months. Which of course brings me around to my favorite topic. If the league thinks that Portland has such a huge advantage that they have to pick last in both the college and supplemental drafts, how can they justify their WNT allocation?

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Anywho
    Washington, Seattle and Chicago make sense. Not really sure why they put Boston at 3. My order would be

Washington
    Seattle
    Chicago
    Sky Blue
    Portland
    Boston
    KC
    WNY

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Honestly, if the league had their ducks in a row on this, they would have had this better planned ahead of time (including knowing that there'd even be a supplemental draft before allocation took place).

They should have had the college draft - with the teams drafting in alphabetical order each round (Boston, Chicago, FC Kansas City, Portland, Seattle, Sky Blue, Washington, Western NY).

And then the supplemental draft would have been the inverse of alphabetical order each round (Western NY, Washington, Sky Blue, Seattle, Portland, FC Kansas City, Chicago, Boston).

That way everybody had a fair draft in "both drafts combined".

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If they had their ducks in a row it would have started with a fair allocation draft. If they had that they wouldnt be trying so hard to make up for allocation.

ForeverLOST108 repped this.
  7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Well, that's what I meant. The allocation would have been "balanced".
    And then the college draft and supplemental draft would have been a no-nonsense alphabetical order and inverse of alphabetical order selection. That way there is no justification that needs to be explained for why Team #Y got a better draft order than Team #Z. Simply put, if you have the #1 pick in each round of the college draft, then you get the #8 pick in each round of the supplemental draft, and vice versa.

The fact that the league announced ahead of time that the college draft was going to use a "snake format" for its draft order, and then reneged on that at the last second, tells us all that they are finalizing their decisions on the "spur of the moment" at the 11th hour. That same momentum has carried into free agency and now into the supplemental draft. Pretty soon the inaugural match will be announced for a different date than April 13.

8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have questions, because I do not understand why the supplemental draft is needed at all.
    Does a supplemental draft player have to sign with the team that drafted her?
    What happens if a team cannot come to an agreement with a player drafted in the supplemental draft?
    Haven’t teams already been talking with a number of players on beyond the 4 or 5 they have already signed?
    Don’t teams already know which additional players are interested in playing for them?
    If so, won’t teams draft the players who have already said they would be interested, making this a farce?
    With the salary cap, can any team (?unfairly?) attract a player with significantly more money than another team?
    Doesn’t each player, when choosing a team to play for, have to consider the city, and the coach, and her perception of ability to make the starting team, and the salary in her decision?
    How does the supplemental draft make the team decision or player decision any easier or “more fair”?

Really, I’d like to hear your opinions. Thanks.

Breakers, Boston, Lisa Cole
    Red Stars, Chicago, Rory Dames
    FCKC, Kansas City, Vlatko Andonovski
    Sky Blue, New Jersey, Jim Gabarra
    Thorns, Portland, Cindy Parlow Cone
    Reign, Seattle, Laura Harvey
    Spirit, Washington, Mike Jordan
    WNY Flash, Buffalo, Aaran Lines

9. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If US soccer did not do the allocation process the way it was done, its possible the WNT players on the whole would not have "bought into it" (agreed) and the league would not have been launched.

CoachJon repped this.
  10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    There is prolly a lot to that but they could have kept key players happy and still been a bit more even handed in distribution. If I had told u before allocation that not one member of the Olympic team would end up in Washington u would have laughed at me.

11. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not have laughed. Washington did get a defender who started all WWC games in '11 and most likely would have been on the Olympic team (if not start) if healthy; I thought that she was one of the players that Sunil was referring to as possibly not playing in the league. If Washington really wanted an US Olympic player, even a starter, it should have demanded to swap defenders with Chicago.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well maybe u just figured it out. If the league ignored 2012 and based allocation on 2011 it works out better. Here is the allocation based on the WWC roster.

Chicago... 2 starters, 1 pool
    Washington ...1 starter, 1 sub, 1 pool
    KC ... 1 starter, 2 subs
    SB ... 1 starter, 2 subs
    Boston ... 1 starter, 1 sub, 1 non pool
    WNY ... 2 starters
    Seattle ... 2 starters, 1 sub
    Portland ... 1 starter, 2 subs

It's amazing how much trouble failing to update the office calendar can cause.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, long term fans wouldn't have laughed because odd distributions like this has happened all along w/ women's league. Look at who the Philly Charge were allocated at the start of WUSA. hint for the young'uns: Fair, Webber, Clemens

And no fans expected Krieger to be in NWSL.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yea but my mistake was assuming that having USSoccer organize this attempt would result in there being some organization. What they got was 8 kids picking their teams by dividing up baseball cards with someones mom overseeing the operation.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your profile age says you're old enough to know better but your post demonstrates a lot of naivete. If nothing else, did you not observe the start of MLS or at least read Beau Dure's book on the same?

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ha Ha Naive is my middle name. Not a MLS fan tho I do think Lamar Hunt was a peach for carrying the league on his back. USSoccer mistake IMO is not doing what they do best and that's hire a professional. They should have brought someone in to run this thing instead of promoting from within. There r way to many committees of experts involved with this dealio.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Red Stars took Lindsey Tarpley

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    and Portland took Tina Ellerston

19. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little jab at Seattle, I suspect. Don't understand why they would waste it on a player that isn't playing this year however..

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    KC got Henninger which means they wont miss a trick for game when Barnhart is away

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Maybe Ellerston was referring to the Thorns family in her tweet.

22. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm.. doubtful considering Ellertson lives in Washington and is extremely close with Solo. But maybe Seattle didn't want her for some reason? Or she could be trade bait? Ellertson for Rapinoe? :eek: Interesting stuff..

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Or CP doesnt have twitter yet. :)

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Lots of interesting stuff...WNY getting Val Henderson to back up Franch was nice move... Casey Nogueira going KC, the home of the playmaking midfielders...maybe she wanted to be close to Dallas.

25. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    She lives across the river from Portland. When did she say she wouldn't play?