NWSL General - Info / Comments / News

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by MRAD12, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    All three of Seattle's draft pick were in camp. Frisbie had already been signed prior to the start of preseason and both Brigman and Parker made the 25 person roster. After that, I'm not sure what have became of them.

2. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2452 RUfan, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    This went over my head due to lack of knowledge of the players. Spirit had 3 draftees including #1 Dunn. Checking the Spirit threads, Menchel went to Europe and Fisher left the team after making the 24 player roster.

Edit later- on the Spirit threads, Clive reported that one of the draftees was supposedly offered $6K to play.

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    This is what I was referring to. So for Washington, a team that needed to do all they can in the draft, will have two of their picks not playing this season. From what I have been hearing, there was a good chance Menchel would have made the team.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a pretty good idea of who it might be.

5. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2455 RUfan, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    His actually quote is : "This was a high round draft player. There aren't many players, so I'd rather not go beyond that, but that's why she didn't report."

What surprised me is that I had thought, at least for last year, that figure (at the bottom of the reported $6K to $30K range) would be for a player that was originally invited to camp, not for a third round draft pick.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    "High round" is a bogus phrase in a league with a grand total four rounds, unless you're talking about the first round alone. Just my opinion.

7. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kansas City- had six picks, previously announced signed #1, today announced 4 more.

In a story today linked in the KC threads:
    "Mandy Laddish - The Blues drafted local talent from Notre Dame and she looked good while in camp but has returned to school, for now. FC Kansas City coaches spoke with her and she has a program that she wants to finish but she will be back in the middle of May."

""We had one good defender in camp, Shelina Zadorsky, but she is in school until May. As soon as she is done she is coming back. She has school and we didn't want to push her to get out of school. I don't think that is the right move to do for young athletes. As soon as she is done she is coming back and we will go from there.""

8. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    It seems like the Spirit was clearly putting more effort into signing established players. With a $200K cap they are more likely to give $15K or $20K to an established player or trade for an established player than give the same money to college players taken in the 3rd or 4th round. Unfortunately the salaries are not made public unlike many other professional sports so a college kid may have had no idea why the market is for a player like her. If Crystal Dunn did not have a USWNT contract how much would the Spirit have offered her? More than $6K I bet but would it have been $20K, $25K? Would she have stayed for that or looked for opportunities outside the US?

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Any idea if Zadorsky can play inside? They have some cover at the outside backs but r really thin inside especially with Phillips and Sauerbrunn both NTers.

10. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Zadorsky was a center back at Michigan. She has some tools that I think could make her a successful full back as well, but center back is her most familiar spot.

11. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From another thread, thanks to Kernel_

"Houston signs (all) 4 draft picks: Kealia Ohai, Rafaelle Sousa, Jordan Jackson and Marissa Diggs

http://www.houstondynamo.com/news/2014/03/houston-dash-sign-2014-nwsl-college-draft-picks"

Souza appears not have played in any preseason games either because of school or being an international.
    "Souza will occupy an international spot and will be added to the roster pending the receipt of her P-1 visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC)."

12. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update on Boston:
    "The Boston Breakers announced today the signing of forward Nkem Ezurike (first round pick) for the 2014 National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) season. She will be added to the roster pending the receipt of her P-1 visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC). "

She is now listed on the 19 player roster; the remaining two picks are still listed separately on the roster.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Lol, it could have been a lot worse.

15. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Which is why I've mentioned a tribute to her, for the couple of short years she provided such great memories.
    There's no guarantee she'll be back to anywhere near where she was before. Her best soccer may be behind her.
    Let's hope she'll eventually make a recovery. But this has become longer absent time than an ACL.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a doctor now, too?

17. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    She's barely able to walk right now, much less run.
    But we can only hope.
    Maybe she'll be able to pull off a Kirk Gibson like moment at some point during the 2014 season.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Blaze20 repped this.
  20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    GOD, I hope you are wrong WPS. US soccer needs her in many ways.

It's been so long I don't even remember how she got hurt and what is actually ailing her.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Just looking at the Portland line-up for there scrimmage tonight. Not really terrifying.

Portland Thorns FC ‏@ThornsFC 13m
    Thorns FC XI: Angerer, Niemiec, Marshall, Van Hollebeke, Moros, Brooks, Farrelly, Long, Kerr, McDonald, Sinclair #PORvUA #BAONPDX

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    That line-up looks as intimidating as a box full of kittens.

[​IMG]

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Kittens 10
    Wildcats 0

CoachJon repped this.
  24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    no, he isn't but i said a long time ago she'd be prone to injuries because of her wide open running style vs a more compact stance you see with players like rampone, dunn and sydney (the other speed merchants). she's looked like RGIII this year, has a bit of his wrecking ball style to her game too. no knock her but my prediction looks right. if that yahoo sermanni tries to pair her with wambach, trying to keep her relevant vs benching her like prinz, the injuries will continue to mount, given the style of her game and the increasing reliance of wambach fading game on her. good luck with that situation.