NWSL General - Info / Comments / News

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by MRAD12, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Funny, because this tells me nothing. It could be that they wanted all of the games on Sunday, but the stadium wasn't available in KC. It could be that they wanted all of the games on Saturday, and the other three stadiums weren't available. It would say something to me if and only if there was one game (be it midweek or weekend), then the rest of the teams play either the midweek or weekend after. It seems more likely to me that the league said "You're playing at home this weekend/midweek, pick the best day/time for your situation out of these possible days/times."

I highly doubt any of this schedule is based on television rights unless they have an agreement already in place that isn't announced. Each network would have its own time slots that they would want to use, so you couldn't plan for all of them.

2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't looked at it myself but that sounds interesting. I'll take a chance and give you credit for at least a good idea (since I don't get the chance to do that too often it seems) :)

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, that may be true for wherever you are, but I doubt very much it would be true for Oregon, including Portland. Of course, Oregon apparently is the most "unchurched" State (not un-religious, just unchurched). Maybe that explains the Thorns Sunday home games.

On the other hand, the best attendance time in Portland might be Friday night.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well, if someone did have the national rights sewn up ud think they would have picked up at least one of the Scotland games just so they could have spent the broadcast touting their upcoming coverage of the league.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like at least some Thursday night games are due to "paired" travel -- e.g., DC and Sky Blue traveling to the Pacific Northwest to play a Thursday and a Sunday game. I don't think they'd want to do the college thing and play Friday/Sunday.

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Friday night games in Portland would be off the hook.
    But I bet that is by far Alex Morgan's #1 night of the week in her social life.
    Still, "late-nite" Friday night matches in Portland would be interesting and entertaining.
    Imagine a "Midnight Madness" match. They would still pack the house.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Please just stop. I'm sure there are better places to discuss Alex Morgan's social life than BigSoccer's NWSL forum.

necron99, Katreus, CoachJon and 2 others repped this.
  8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    They didn't call her "Captain Morgan" (while she was at Cal) for nothing.
    Girls just wanna have fun. Alex fit into that category, but we'll put this conversation to rest now.
    Back to television coverage, and schedule assessment ....

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How about forever. As in, never bring it up again.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Apparently Andy, you haven't been on the women's forum for a while and haven't met WPS_Movement.​
    Much of WPS_Movement's comments are WAY off topic, have nothing to do with anything, la-la land, and just plain goofy. And then on an occasion this person will shock you with a well thought-out, logical, intelligent, comment.​
    We have all given up pulling our hair here. Eventually you will as well and just ignore when ignore is required.​

StarCityFan repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Breakers get to share their field with a professional women's football team (twice national champs). The Breakers are likely the primary tenant as they had much higher attendance in their 1st year, but there are several teams that compete for the field at various times.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  13. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Catching up this week on women's soccer.
    New episode, just posted yesterday.
    Also posted below, are the full game matches (on YouTube) of the U.S. vs. Scotland games (where Sermanni has taken the bull by the horns), in 720p video quality.

LOL @ Hope Solo in 2002:

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What is wrong with you? What does that post have to do with the NWSL?

It's completely out of place, and - frankly, I'm pretty sure there's some pretty severe copyright violations going on.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Copyright violations? What are you talking about?
    It was posted on YouTube by the owners of the material. USsoccer.
    It's put out there publicly by them to be viewed on YouTube.
    At least they have more care and compassion for their soccer loving fans, than YCJ footy photo service. And that's not harsh, that's just real.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Still doesn't explain why they're posted here.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  18. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's YouTube, I don't see what the problem is. There's probably a reason why in the "media" tool YouTube is listed by BigSoccer as a format supported for embedding in a comment.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It has nothing to do with the NWSL.

20. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    yeah, I'm sure you gotta report USSoccer to the nearest police station, lol :D

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    You could report anything "women's soccer related" as a copyright violation to someone, and they would just laugh at you. The FBI would just be like, "Dude, really?"

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Looks like standard FIFA substitution rules (3 per game)

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yeah, I saw that, and I kind of like it.
    I do think they should consider one exception.
    If the goalkeeper has to be pulled (due to injury, and only injury), then that shouldn't count as one of the three substitutions (in this league only, as I'm not saying that should be a FIFA rule or anything). It does suck when that happens, and a team is down to just two substitutions to work with throughout the rest of the game. It's like they're at a disadvantage all of a sudden.

But since that's a rare occurrence (maybe once per season, per team, on avg), then so be it.
    It would just suck if it happened in a playoff game.

24. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, it happened to the Freedom once late in a game when they were out of subs, so Cat Whitehill had to play goalkeeper for the rest of the match.

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yeah, and I also remember when Mia Hamm had to be the goalkeeper for the U.S. national team that one game in the Women's World Cup. That was awesome, and she'll even say that was one of the most memorable moments of her career, especially since it happened in a World Cup game.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-06-09/sports/sp-11107_1_red-card