NWSL General - Info / Comments / News

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by MRAD12, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2476 CoachJon, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    From final NCAA rankings Arizona and ASU were not in the top 25 and were not in the list of 12 "other teams getting votes." Mismatch? VanHollebeke got two goals for goodness' sakes.

Edit: I think I'm just jealous.
    Tucson, AZ: Saturday, March 29 : Lots of sunshine. Warm. High 87F.
    Where I Live: Winter storm watch remains in effect from 5 pm EDT this afternoon through Sunday morning... Hazards...heavy wet snow…. Accumulations...snow potentially accumulating 6 inches or more.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    There is video up from local news outlet

http://www.rosecitysoccerpress.com/2014/thorns-vs-university-arizona-wildcats-match-center.html

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    This is exactly true, and I remember thinking this and mentioning it in 2012.
    Her running style = injury waiting to happen.

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
  6. weelilbit

weelilbit Member

Nov 14, 2013
    I really, really hope so. I'm so much more likely to contribute if I can get some sort of merch or some such which I actually *want*, as opposed to throwing money at the team and crossing my fingers they stay alive.

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well so far I do not think any of the options mentions merch but you can get a photo session, I voice mail or a skype session. I personally do not trust myself not to be a complete idiot during a skype session with my fav so voice mail do sound like a good alternative.

8. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    I think this is smart, smart, smart. The cost to the organization for most of this stuff is negligible. Even if there is no massive uptake on the offers, no loss. Ultra fans will jump at some of it and it shows creativity in reaching out to the WOSO fans who do not live in proximity to one of the NWSL markets - surely the majority of WOSO fans in North America fit in this group.

Red Stars was also the only organization to my knowledge last year that offered a Spanish language feed for their games.

They continue to earn my respect for these positive approaches to marketing.

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Couple of things that jumped out at me ....

- The whole salary debate for people like Marta and Vero were folks were complaining that it was on the high side. Press is stating that it was not just a monthly salary but it also included other bonuses and money owed. This means that the American contigent who most thought were on the low end of the pay scale are actually paid lower.

- If Press was not "pressured" to return to the states, would she have resign with Tyreso after this situation?

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I definitely think Tyreso financial trouble played into her signing. As she mentioned, the first signs were last summer.

Without a line item breakdown of the salary structure u have to take the bonus thing with a grain of salt. Bonus can be extremely easy to make or difficult and r usually included more for accounting reasons. If for example Marta received a $100K bonus as part of her report $270K salary for something as basic as playing in 10 matches, u might as well count it as salary. Regardless, when u start lying to the players and asking for contract restructuring, u know the wheels have come off.

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
  14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It'll be interesting to see if Portland gets a new jersey sponsor, by turning their back on Providence.
    Ok, that was a bad joke, but it will be interesting to see what the Thorns kits look like.
    They will certainly be at least slightly different than the ones they wore last year, when they ripped shid up.
    Now including authentic Alex Morgan Breathing Technology, the Thorns are ready to defend their title in 2014.

15. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    #2491 JanBalk, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    "others were owed less because they had reported into camp later, thus working fewer days."
    Pretty sure that the Americans was the last one to join, so it is pretty obvious that that part is referring mainly to her and the other Americans which was the ones which seemed to be the one that had unreasonably low salaries. So actually reading it it seem their full salaries are higher than the February payout indicates (but that they don't get paid by Tyresö during USSoccer duty)

The part that "some players were owed bonuses and reimbursements" [PLEASE NOTE! SOME not all.] Probably explains that some (mainly Vero and the new Brazilians) seemed to get paid well over their market value (but in that case for the Brazilians it pretty much would have to be a signing bonus).

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  17. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Dear Vero,
    Welcome to NWSL.
    For those that haven't seen you play, they will be mesmerized ..........

18. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Verónica Boquete ‏@VeroBoquete 15h
    But for now I'm just focused on @TyresoFF, we still have a big dream to fight and enjoy together. #CL

So it seems she will arrive at the same time as Press, Engen and Klingenenberg, when Tyresö UWCL run ends (probably May 22nd).

Great player,
    probably a better midfielder than any of the USWNTs currents ones (and a very good forward when played as one, although in that position there are several better ones in USWNT).

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Paul Riley SPEEEECH (Sarah Huffman, Vero):

20. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't understand. How are they pulling this off with a 200k cap? Are they cutting sponsorship deals outside the ap to make up the difference? I would think the league has a bylaw for this type of behavior, or Sahlen would clean up. Is everyone taking $6000? o_O

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    That's a very good question. Vero isn't cheap. If this were the men's game, she'd be more of a gigolo with the money she'd be rolling in. Kat Williamson must have been one of the higher paid players on the team, to clear up some cap space. There's no way Wetzel was. She was surely in the $6,000 range. Mana Shim is probably getting screwed and squeezed at the same time, by only making 4 figures, when she's worth 5 figures in this league. And Allie Long was considered one of their top free agent signings when they acquired her before the season started last year. Would they have had the moth balls to reduce her pay to 4 digits this year?

22. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2499 RUfan, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    If Portland squeezed down Marshall's contract ( I believe even they said they had re-acqured her at a lower salary after the waiver and trades), why would they not have done that to other presumably high paid original "free agents" such as Long? The other two original free agents were Washington and Edwards, both gone now.
    Portland signed their only two college drafts, at third and fourth rounds which could not cost much.

I wrote the following few weeks ago:

23. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013