NWSL Fantasy League- Season 2

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Defense: SBFC v BOS
    SBFC is one of the best defensive teams in the league and BOS haven't convinced me yet they can score against an organized defense. On the flip side, SBFC do not know the meaning of the word offense.

Offense: HOU v SEA.
    Both these teams play the 4-3-3 formation and so far HOU doesn't look like a team that wants to sit back so I expect a high tempo game with lots of goals.

2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd load up on Chicago and SkyBlue defenders, even though SkyBlue has one of their matches against Seattle. Most of Seattle's goals have come from set pieces, and SkyBlue does have some height in the back to deal with those.

Offensively, Seattle is the obvious choice, but I'm not going too overboard with KC. I might actually rate Chicago's offense over KC's this week, as KC's defense looked shaky against Washington.

3. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    There is no way I am going to trust the FCKC defense until they switch back to a 4-2-3-1 set up. Got burnt twice in 2 weeks now. And that Seattle vs Washington game. Lost 22 points because of that damn PK goal. And Matheson, oye, should of had her over Lauren Holiday. But I think Holiday will pull it together soon.

Seattle's defense is pretty solid and I have a feeling that Chicago will be pretty good as well. Depending on match ups, you can always try for shut outs with these 2 clubs. I think Portland will be solid as well when Rachel Van Hollebeke comes back. Skyblue potentially looks good but they haven't had a shut out yet and not sure if I would use them unless they have a favorable match up.

With 4 teams playing 2 games for next week's fantasy week. There are some good choices to choose who you want build for the defense.

Games for next week:

Chicago Redstars vs Washington Spirit - Sat 8:00pm
    Portland Thorns vs FC Kansas City - Sat 10:00pm
    Boston Breakers vs Skyblue - Sun 7:00pm
    Seattle Reign vs Houston Dash - Sun 7:00pm
    Skyblue vs Seattle Reign - Wed 7:00pm
    FC Kansas City vs Chicago Redstars - Wed 8:00pm

FC Kansas City, Chicago Redstars, Skyblue and Seattle are the 4 teams playing 2 games next week. Western New York Flash is the team that is on the Bye week so remember not to take any of their players. Because there are 4 teams playing twice this week. Its pretty much mandatory that these players have to be picked.

FCKC vs Portland and Chicago. Its such a hard decision to make about taking any defenders here. FCKC has not looked good defensively so I would avoid using any defenders or goalkeepers from FCKC.

Chicago vs FCKC and Washington. I think Washington is a good match up for Chicago and potentially they might match up well against FCKC since they are struggling to get more goals.

Skyblue vs Boston and Seattle. Boston is a good match up but Seattle isn't.

Seattle vs Skyblue and Houston. Good match up against Skyblue and can be up in the air with Houston with the aggressive pressing game they play. This can go either way.

I think if you want to go with defenders, Chicago, Skyblue and Seattle would be your best bets. Because Seattle is playing twice, you want to load up on their forwards. So it would be tough to bring many Reign players on the back line in your line up. Might have to go with Chicago and Skyblue.

Blaze20 repped this.
  4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Good analysis. I have started looking forward to these every week. And I pretty much agree here. Go with Seattle for offense and Chicago for defense.
    I have no clue what will happen in that Portland v FCKC match so I'm staying away from that one.

5. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Both defenses don't give me confidence sadly. And poor Sinclair, she is a defacto midfielder, having to drop so deep to get touches.

6. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez. I'm watching much more NWSL than at this time last year (4 matches, vs. not having started, IIRC, in '13), and I've sunk from 5.00 to -1.00. I need to study up on blogs this weekend!

7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I did worse points-wise in the 2nd week than the first... if it weren't for Matheson, I'd've had 13.5 points...

Week 2 Points : 53.00
    Week 2 Rank : 380

8. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Haha got 32.50 points. So I did even worse. Losing that shut out for the Seattle-Washington, not taking matheson, Rapinoe not playing all lead to a very sub par week. Sigh, must work to turn that around.

9. Andère

Andère Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle
    Week 3 lineup!

Capture d’écran 2014-04-25 à 09.23.10.png

10. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    WPS is killing it right now! I like how the website is displaying your groups there. I did OK but captained Jodie Taylor - that is a LOL @ -1 points, and left a bunch of other stuff on the table with my picks.

11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let us not speak of how I did. It was bad.

Matheson's score of 39.5 this week is the second highest mark by one player in one week. The highest score in one week is 41.5 put up by Holiday last season. But that isn't the top score for a single game. That would be 37.5, a mark shared by Leroux and Lloyd.

12. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    And that is even with a yellow card.

BTW are you some kind of memory prodigy or National Archive of WOSO? Amazed by your posting of relevant factoids. :thumbsup:

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well well, look who did awesome this week, I got a whopping 66.5 points this week catapulting me into the top 700, brilliant. Seattle losing that shot out was what killed me really. Sure I gained points on Matheson for the PK but lost points on Solo(c) and Barnes.

14. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lost a boatload on Averbuch, Lloyd and Marshall. FML.

15. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Moving Skorts needs to learn who to captain at this point, because this is the 2nd week in a row that the captain scored zero or negative points. The captain's skortband needs to go to someone else, and someone who can lead. The team loves to fight for the right to wear the captain's skortband, & does not want to go back to an armband.

Also, if Tymrak doesn't step it up, the Player's Republic of Skort (federation) will have no other choice than to strip her from her skort. The team was founded on having the honor to wear skorts instead of shorts. Maybe that's why Tymrak isn't playing as well. She'd prefer to wear short shorts instead.

Newsweek put out an article this morning, in stating that "Skorts look better when on the move than when stood in a stationary position". Lately, the team captain has been stationary on the field. They need to get on the move and get something done for the team. Steak and lobster (with cheesecake for dessert) has been offered to a captain who can step up and score with skort pride. Added on sleep during one night early in the week will also be granted. Currently, Tymrak is the one that has to wake up at 5:00 am and wash all the skorts.

[​IMG]
    Player's Republic of Skort

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if she hadn't gotten that booking, she would have been number 1.

I just have an unusual ability to remember the littlest things. And I can't really control what I do and do not remember. My brain is just weird like that.

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    #167 Blaze20, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    My Squad for week 3. I'm banking on Seattle's offense this time around. Let's hope this sunday game Boston defense finally show up.

upload_2014-4-25_19-48-46.png

GK: This was a no brainer because I do expect the Dash to take a lot of shot's on goal and hope Hope can come out big. Won't be that terrible if she let one in. For the second game against SBFC, I hoping for the shut out.

DF: I'm taking the gamble on Boston and hoping that a game against their old rivals will bring out the best in them. Here's to the shutout guys.

MIDS: At this point Fishlock and Little are permanent stays on my team. Putting Holiday in and hopefully in two games she can give me something even if it is weak sauce SOGSs. I expect the same from Chalupny (not the weak sauce though) and pray she don't commit too many fouls.

FW: I have this lingering feeling that this will be the breakout week for Leroux so I'm taking the chance on her. I'm hoping that Rapinoe starts this game and if not, then let's go Jen.
    For the other teams with two games this week, Arod is the best choice as she's all the offense FCKC have now. As for Chicago, I have the feeling that their scoring will be coming from different people as a team effort so it's hard to choose who will score.

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well now that Rapinoe is listed as probable, I think I'm swapping her for Kawasumi.

19. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1.jpg

Roster for Week 3!

20. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    My lineup this week:
    [​IMG]
    I'm hoping Chicago gets 2 wins and Seattle's offense is still going strong. But I'm leaving Leroux out until she can prove she can find a way to score in Seattle's system.

21. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Damn look at the heavy Seattle front players on these line ups. :D

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    And this exact time last year, their roster sucked. :D

23. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Matches for Saturday April 26:

Chicago Redstars vs Washington Spirit - Sat 8:00pm
    Portland Thorns vs FC Kansas City - Sat 10:00pm

Matches for Sunday April 27:

Boston Breakers vs Skyblue - Sun 7:00pm
    Seattle Reign vs Houston Dash - Sun 7:00pm

Matches for Wednesday April 30:

Skyblue vs Seattle Reign - Wed 7:00pm
    FC Kansas City vs Chicago Redstars - Wed 8:00pm

Double games for Chicago, FC Kansas City, Skyblue and Seattle.

Roster line up for this Fantasy week with a 3-4-3 set up. Players bolded are starters

Goalkeepers: Hope Solo (Seattle-allocated), Nadine Angerer
    Defenders: Michelle Wenino (Chicago), Jackie Santacaterina (Chicago), Caitlin Foord (Skyblue), Kendall Johnson (Skyblue)
    Midfielders: Lauren Holiday (FC Kansas City-allocated), Kim Little (Seattle), Lori Chalupny (Chicago), Sophie Schmidt (Skyblue-allocated)
    Forwards: Megan Rapinoe (Seattle-allocated), Amy Rodriguez (FC Kansas City-allocated), Naho Kawasumi (Seattle), Beverly Goebel (Seattle)

Focusing on Chicago and Skyblue for my defense this week. If Santacaterina injury forces to sit out, then Kendall Johnson comes in. I am staying with Hope Solo since there really is a good chance that she picks up a shut out this week and I want those points. With Johnson as an outside back and Foord who plays in the midfield, chances are if Skyblue pulls off a shutout against Boston, then they should rack up some very good points since both do get crosses in and take shots.

Midfielders, the usual suspects, Lauren Holiday, Kim Little and Lori Chalupny are all playing a double game this week. I also went with Sophie Schmidt since she is in the offense quite a bit for Skyblue and Boston is a good match up for them.

Forwards, if Rapinoe is held out again because of her toe injury then Beverly Goebel will slot in. I prefer Amy Rodriguez over Sydney Leroux for the moment. With her 2 goals she looks the better pick.

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Two weeks into the season, and no goals yet from:

Christine Sinclair
    Alex Morgan
    Abby Wambach
    Sydney Leroux
    Christen Press
    Lisa De Vanna
    Lauren Holiday
    Erika Tymrak
    Carli Lloyd
    Samantha Kerr

25. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    the case can be made to bring in more internationals like marta. NTers become more irrelevant. o_O