NWSL Fantasy League- Season 2

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Mar 27, 2014.

1. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC

2. Andère

Andère Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle
    Couple of questions for the fantasy league since I've never done it before:

1) Do we choose 20ish players for the whole season, or can we change as many players as we want week-in, week-out?
    2) What does the DNP stand for in the lineup page? Did Not Play?
    3) Also I thought set up my first week team correctly (and I thought it said it was a valid team at the time), but I checked back today and had too many allocated players on my squad... does that mean my week 1 stats don't count?

http://www.nwslfl.com/lineup-621.html

Also, first time poster here!

3. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Welcome!

1) You can completely change the lineup each week. Even the formation. So if a player gets injured or if a certain team has a more favorable opponent you can adjust to get who you think will be best for that week.
    2) Yep, but at the moment the reason you see it is because the stats for the week have yet not been entered.
    3) I only see 5 allocations in your lineup, unless I'm having a brain fart, so it should be fine. Perhaps you changed something for week 2 and that is the invalid one?

4. Andère

Andère Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle
    Thank you!

I guess I was confused about the allocation process. I had 4 in my starting 11, but also 2 as subs. Does that mean you can start 5 allocated players, but still have 4 more on the bench? Or does it not work like that? And if theoretically two of my starting 11 didn't start, and then my 2 allocated bench players become active, would that invalidate my roster (having 6 on at one time)?

Also one more question:

How do multiple games in a week work? i.e. the Spirit play 3 times in the next two weeks (Saturday the 19th, Wed, and again on Sat). Which week would the Wednesday game count towards? 1 or 2? And does that mean that players who play in both get their points from both games added together for the week?

This fantasy league stuff is addicting...

5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    No, you can only have 5 total. Starters or subs. I only saw 5 on the roster you gave the link to when I first looked at it: Rapinoe, Leroux, Sinclair, Sauerbrunn, and Dunn. But, I guess Romero is Arianna Romero of the Dash, who's allocated... If so, then your roster wouldn't be valid. I'm guessing you set it before Dunn was marked as an allocated player in the NWSLFL database. Since it's marked as a valid roster, the points should count. If not, just contact them and complain. ;)

The way it worked last season, was the weekday games would be attached to the previous weekend games. So the 19th through 23rd are the same week. And the 26th through 30th are the same week.

And yes, points from both games are added together.

6. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Also, no one in the league had any crosses or clearances this week?

9. Andère

Andère Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle
    I guess they must have counted shots off the woodwork as SOG. Fine by me as 'technically' they are shots on goal!

I'm also sad that Fishlock (my captain!) didn't get her correct stats. She's listed as 2.5, but she had 2 assists and a SOG in the 82nd min off a Rapinoe cross, none of which are listed.

10. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    They haven't officially announced that the first weeks stats are up. So hopefully they'll fix it.

11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a pretty week for me. 21.5 points. When your highest scorer is a defender, you know you screwed up.

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I got a whopping 18.5 points. Not good enough. I feel my team lost their mentality along the way and I have to work on that immediately. That is not who we want to be this season.

13. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    215th place out of 3004. Not too shabby.

14. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    This is pretty good. I'm at 628 with 44.5:(

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I'm 1158, pretty awesome really

16. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    There are people that have less than zero points so it could be worse;)

17. Andère

Andère Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle
    So the next question, who is your captain for next week? Is everyone going to hop on the Little/Rapinoe bandwagon? I'm know I'm thinking about it . But then again I say screw it and just want to pick my favorite player in the hope that she just has one of those days. Decisions decisions.

More questions! What is your philosophy for choosing a captain? This seems like the biggest roster choice to make, and is tricky to plan out. I had no idea who to choose when I first set this up and my thought-process was pretty simple on this one: "Dude. Fishlock's awesome! She's my captain!"

Also would you ever select a defender as a captain? A lot of people seemed to have chosen a goal keeper as their captain, which seems like that could earn you consistently solid points, but on the flip side some people made out like bandits choosing Rapinoe or Little. Do you go for a balanced approach (i.e. reliable mid earner), or do you gamble and shoot for a stellar performance from a forward, etc?

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I haven't even decided my squad yet as I'm waiting for the injury report to see how that will affect the match ups over the weekend.

As for choosing captains, back in WPS days, the GK were always the safest choice but not anymore it sames.
    Given the scoring, you ideally want a GK that gets the win, maintain a clean sheet and safe alot of shots. However, if a GK is making multiple saves, there's a good chance they are not getting the win or keeping a clean sheet, so you have to pick your poison. If you go with a GK that have a very good defense in front of her, she might get the win and a clean sheet but likely won't make a lot of saves.

I think Little is looking like the perfect fantasy pick right now because she will give you a lot of SOG, goals, assists, fouls recieved and is not likely to commit fouls because she is not a DM. Rapinoe could be a good pick as she shoots a lot but the problem is she commits too many fouls. So my recommendation will be to go for AMs like Little, Chalupny, Lloyd, etc.

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Also, defender as a captain is not a good choice because they have limited ways of acquiring points. They basically have to win, have a clean sheet or be lucky like Brittany Taylor to score a goal. Those don't happen all that often.

20. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Not sure about Lloyd. She was a leader in fouls and yellow cards last season if I'm correct and after 1st week you got -0.50 for her but if she scores a couple then it's different story. Maybe risk worth taking?

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I think this game was a aberration for Lloyd as she barely had a shot on goal. Lloyd is very trigger happy so I expect after having a week to recover, she will be back to her shooting ways. A shot on goal is worth 3 points while a yellow is -3 and a foul is -0.5. At worst, if she picks up a yellow and a bunch of fouls, all you need is 2 SOG to break even. I rather take that risk than pick some other mid that won't do anything

22. Andère

Andère Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle
    I think I'm going to roll with Little, Lloyd, Holiday and Fishlock as my midfield for next week. Seems pretty OP to me :D

23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players like Lloyd and Rapinoe can be high risks. If they're not producing goals or SOG, they'll kill you with fouls and potential bookings. But they can also give big points when they're on their game.

24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not 100% sure on Fishlock. Last season she was the driving force of the team almost by necessity. This season, with all the weapons Seattle has, her production may be lessened, and she does foul a lot as well.

25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    That's the beauty of FL :p. I like the high risks types.