NWSL Collegiate Draft to be held January 18th

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by ForeverLOST108, Dec 21, 2012.

1. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a HR person/expect can give an idea how serious/concerned a hiring manager would view this if she, a young person, was a candidate for a job. This is stuff the experts advise not to be doing on social media and emails (esp using company equipment). I'm sure all of us, the regulars on BS, have seen/read/heard enough of this to know but kids/young adults just don't get it or understand.

Now, back to our regular programming:
    I forget what it is; that's right, waiting for some real news about the league.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The funniest thing is she isnt even eligible for the draft/free agency. She just as likely to get a scholarship to Penn St as to actually fit into this thread.

pressurecooker repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    W-League players dont get paid, right?

6. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been professional W-League teams, but not in the past couple of years. Per NCAA rules, you can't have pros and college-eligible players on the same team, which rules it out for most teams.

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    A lot of Australia and New Zealand players will want to play in NWSL after the W-League season is over with (which ends in late January). It's a perfect transition for them. Get a few weeks off, and then come on over to NWSL.

8. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    That is entirely possible. The Aus W-League season is in the NWSL offseason. Also the Aus W-League doesn't pay very much at all much less then the likely salaries in NWSL. Players who want to get more game time will be happy to come over, just as they are happy to go to Norway, Iceland, Finland, Denmark, etc.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't be surprised if Tom Sermanni has gotten a few phone calls from teams looking to scout his old player pool.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Speaking of the coach, he has been surprisingly quiet where the league is concerned. Perhaps that's just his nature but I guess he was very involved in the W-League and I hope to see him front and center on the development of NWSL as well.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Hopefully, WNY Flash get the first draft pick as compensation for being an WNTer short. If they havent found a first class free agent GK they should look to Adrianna Franch of Oklahoma State with the number one pick. If they do have a keeper lined up they may look to Caroline Miller of Virginia to add punch on the front line. They really need a defender but hard to see one worth the number one pick. Other top picks like Nairn and Bywaters seem just reinforce the midfield area which they r already strong at.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Australian vacation is never a bad time

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would she not get paid? The W-League does pay players, as far as I know.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew I had seen something about players having to register for the draft to be considered. This probably eliminates Brooks (though it's possible she signed up prior to deciding to go to Germany).

@chicagoredstars: College seniors interested in becoming eligible for NWSL draft (Jan) fill out this league form: http://ow.ly/1Qq3Wg

CRS was the only team I could find linking to this form, but there may be other versions out there. Deadline to register was 1/9.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im sure Cindi Parlow sent AB a form just in case :)

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Now that we know the base players for each team maybe now we could have a sensable discussion on who the college draft picks may be.

19. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My memory is that the WPS never disclosed the names of the seniors that declared/registered for its drafts, so is it reasonable that the new league will not either?

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I cant figure why they r sitting on the draft order. They could have announced that the day they announced the league. And no, the fact that they prolly havent set the random order yet is not the correct answer.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're stringing out their releases of information very strategically. Whoever is orchestrating it is doing a really good job.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Actually theyve been a little reactive instead of proactive. Notice how after the negative "where's the allocation list" stories started they posted the names even tho they didnt have the teams yet. U never want the media having to run speculation pieces cause ur not providing them enough to write about. They did the same thing with the MNT's camp roster. The camp was Monday January 7th and they posted the roster Sunday evening. Hopefully the dont wait til the night before to release the draft order.

23. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    my bad.

fmp

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

W league teams that play professional players beyond " reasonable travel and expenses", (including a housing allowance) can't have college players on the teams, because the NCAA rules on amateur status prohibit NCAA players in any sport from playing on teams where anyone gets more than "reasonable expenses". all you need to do is see if there was a college player on the team and you then know no one was paid.

For the record, the Seattle Sounders had college players with remaining eligibility, so the Nat team players were not paid by the Sounders club.

Those players were, however, allowed to receive money from their National Team residency contracts. In fact, when the league folded, those players were probably given the choice of finding a place to play or entering a residency camp, which I am sure no one wanted to do.

And depending how they were set up, the payments from endorsement contracts may not have counted ( you just arrange for payments during other times of the year).

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Okay I think we need to instate a rule that people need to specify whether they're talking about the US W-League or the Aussie W-League....

Any discussion of Mewis implies the latter unless I've missed something.