News: NWSL Allocation List

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by StarCityFan, Jan 9, 2013.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Didn't the Equalizer report that players submitted their top four choices and one negative?

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The details have all blurred together. There was a lot of speculation, statements from owner and USSoccer stuff all flowing together. Someone mentioned it but Im in no way certain it was from a reliable source.

3. Hothitter

Hothitter Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Glendale, CA
    I guess you could call it Waiting for Godot.

ceezmad repped this.
  4. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Thanks for the links, wanted to check on players like Ashley Lawrence and Kadeisha Buchanan and see more of them in action since both will commit to college this year.

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Maybe were supposed to be using the section he laid out for WPS expansion?

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is better than the play :p

7. Mimsy Borogoves

Sep 6, 2009
  8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008

How am I posting a lie? This article below even confirms it (about Klingenberg):

http://equalizersoccer.com/2013/01/09/nwsl-allocation-and-rules-what-we-know-thus-far/

"The list was supposed to be 56 players but Klingenberg was a late scratch after electing to play in Sweden. That will leave one of the eight teams short a U.S. player. It is not known if a 56th player will be added or how, if at all, the team winding up short will be compensated."

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This notion Gulati put forward of adding a 24th player later to fill the gap on WNY is absurd. Where would such a player who was good enough to hold down the last paid spot come from?
    1. The current pool of free agents (ex. Leslie Osbourne)
    2. The current crop of seniors (ex Kristie Mewis)
    3. College underclassman (ex Crystal Dunn)
    4. A player under contract over seas (ex Christen Press)

The current free agent players will be signing with league teams soon. So will the 32 players from the draft. Once they r signed they arnt gonna move a signed player from someone elses roster to fill the 24th slot on WNY. College underclassmen cant play in the league and neither can players under contract over seas. So thanks for nothing Gulati.

11. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    What if Canada coughed up cash for a 17th?

12. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Cameron maybe?

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I was surprised Cameron wasnt picked for allocation.

Problem is they need to do that or something by Friday. After Cameron is drafted and signed by someone else u cant just give her WNY. Whole thing was badly handled.

14. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just let Joe sign Marta or Rincon. That should balance the forward situation with Portland o_O . It's not like it will hurt his Deli Meat FC business model . They can make one cap exception.

Oh, from what I saw, I think Press was suppose to be #24. Who is better than her, after the first 23? Winsters :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, the cap should have been 200K + 1 optional (for an owner like Sahlen, who can afford a big international star on his roster).

15. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess: the Flash will get extra cap space to land bigger or more fish.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If they can get that money and sign a prominent international player, it would be well worth it.
    Western New York already has domestically what they need to be competitive and bring out the attendance (Wambach, Lloyd). They now have Franch, who will be on the USWNT team eventually. Perez and McCarthy give them two solid internationals right now. DiMartino gives them a young building block on the attack to go with an older Wambach. Perez gives them some needed quickness on the attack. They need another international player with that added compensation. Go out there and pay for someone really good. Even if they have to get that player in mid-season (Vero perhaps). They could also maybe go for Miyama? I mean why not? Or take a stab at Ramona Bachmann in midseason. Caroline Seger in mid-season would be a phenomenal pickup. She played for the Flash in 2011.

It would be better for them to get a superstar international in mid-season, instead of a 2nd tier international for the full season. Lyon views Rapinoe as a superstar "international" free agent they picked up after the season for them. Why can't Western New York do the same with their added compensation for their blank allocation?

17. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vero was invisible on the field against WNY in the championship, and I'm sure Lines remembers that. She's not a big enough stud for Sahlen to drop major coins. You need punch at forward next to Wambach like Press or Morgan. I can't see him getting Marta. Plus I think she has lost a step. I wouldn't be surprise, if they pick up Becky Edwards again. She's my choice over Sieger.

I think you go after one of the young lionesses.

Yoreli Rincon - Playing professionally o_O in Brasil.
    Ramona - What has see done since leaving the Beat? She wasn't that great in the WPS.
    Byanca - She has Thais' ball hog :ROFLMAO: footwork but is more a scorer like Marta. I'm guessing she's 18 now. Why not?

This is GREAT opportunity for the CBF to get quality training and competition for the NT, but this NWSL opportunity would require them to be HONEST and drop their STEALING ways. :rolleyes:

18. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd attribute Vero's play that game to more of Coach Lines knowing the player very well - she played on the W-league Buffalo Flash roster in 2010, where she fit into his system really well.

In a case like this, the team knew how to neutralize her - that's due more to familiarity than anything else. If they were to bring her back into the fold, I'm sure they would know exactly where to fit her in. From seeing her play in the Flash system, she'd likely fit into central midfield as opposed to being up top. In that position she could either be a feeder or a defensive midfielder (although I'd rather have Vero attack out of the middle, leaving Lloyd to be your stay at home central midfielder).

Either way, Vero would fit in.....how she'd be used could be up for debate, but she'd fit in well in the scheme.

Just my $.02....

Aaron

kolabear repped this.
  19. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    I would love to see Yoreli Rincon play here, she is a young star in the making. She is what 18 or 19? So much talent at her young age. But there are rumors she may be headed to the Damallsvenskan for FC Malmo in a transfer deal in early 2013. So unless someone has more recent information that can clear this up, I don't see her coming to play in North America sadly.

20. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Question:
    We all know what happens with the US Allocations(Rapinoe, Harris, ARod,LePeilbet) when they decide not to play.
    What happens with Mexican/Canadian players when the team they were Allocated to can't find them or they decide not to play? MIA/AWOL? Do they get a new allocation?

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well, Teresa Noyola is on contract in Europe and she's being treated just like Rapinoe/Heath. Alina Garciamendez may be in the same boat. My guess is another free agent slot. Why, do we have a runner?

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The league just needs to gut this out and get through the inaugural year with this stuff (by "winging it" as they are moving along), and then set "clear and defined guidelines" going into year #2, regarding allocations, coverage for allocations, compensation for any franchises that are missing an allocated player, for part, most, or all of a year due to pregnancy, sickness, injury, or last minute decision to play overseas, etc.

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And pay a law firm the amount of at least one year's salary cap for writing the "clear and defined guidelines." Which gets me to thinking, maybe what appears to be a pretty ad hoc approach is one way of keeping league overhead down.

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Why would they need to pay a law firm?
    The league just needs to be more prepared, more clear up front with preparation and coverage, more transparent, more imposing, and more enforcible. Nothing needed more than that. They need to establish that presence that they are indeed the governing body over all these franchises. That needs to be communicated to the owners, in letting them know that it benefits everyone in the long run, because it ensures that fans and spectators take the league more seriously.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    A sports league without lawyers? What r u, an anarchist?